Author Topic: hey marlin , solve this  (Read 6077 times)

crawlin2u

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Never time to do it right but time to do it twice
    • View Profile
hey marlin , solve this
« on: Jan 28, 2004, 10:18:39 PM »
Hello there, I have  a few questions here reguarding the front d44 kit. Back in  i think 2001 there was a shop located in everett washington that was  called  redline off road. The shop was ran by kieth, he was building the d44 axel kit for around 600 dollars, well i have one running on my toy right now  works  Great and  really good havent broke a u joint yet. but back to the reason im e mailin ya  does the new  d44 kit that randys r and p make ( i believe is a copy of keiths design).  I want to know  if the actural axels shafts were to break past the u joint would  randys kit fit in place.I  dont know if you guys were  informed about this shop back  a yrs ago. but he is currently not in biz any more. you guys work with randys  quite i bit and you might know  , thanks a bunch.  Or anyone know what I am talkin about here ?
« Last Edit: Jan 29, 2004, 11:00:18 AM by crawlin2u »
I creep and I crawl, thats what I learned first

yotacrawler85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Nov '03
  • east coast ROCKS!
    • View Profile
Re:hey marlin , solve this
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2004, 11:40:06 AM »
sorry    :dunno:  nope
85 cab on a 87 sas frame with 6 inch lift, 15x10 wheels, 34-10.50 swampers, all pro high steer, shock hoops, dual diff guards, in cab roll cage, rancho 5000s, all poly bushings remote diff breathers front and rear recievers, welded rear(4:30's) 22re

crawlin2u [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2004, 04:16:00 PM »
this sucks ,no  one has any idea if the birfield eliminator kit  by randys will fit , no one ?

Prismo

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8403
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2004, 01:04:33 AM »
The only thing I could find was pictures of each kit. This is the Redline kit
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

Prismo

• Online The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2004, 01:05:25 AM »
I suck at the internet. Try again
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

Prismo

• Online The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2004, 01:08:02 AM »
This is the randys kit. I know Keith was machining the back of the hub to fit the axle, don't know if randy's is doing the same

Marketing

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -30
  • Male Posts: 1,639
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2004, 01:25:38 AM »
It would take trying it to see if it fits. We don't have a readline kit to work with here.

crawlin2u [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2004, 10:48:14 AM »
Wow ,ok thats great, I currently have the kit now  from redline  and i was just really interested in  randys set up,  so i dont have to go back to birfields , they suck, I also believe that kieth was  machiining the inside of the spindel too, I was  told from one of the guys  at randys (jc or jt)that  they used kieths ideas and  that the kit wa going to be very similar, I guess what i really need to do is ask randys ring and pinion Thanks a bunch, shayne

crawlin2u [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2004, 10:50:33 AM »
Hey,  prism, where did you locate that picture, thats the kit, is it yours ?

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2004, 11:39:14 PM »
Randys kit includes a new custom spindle. I would like to beleive that Randys axle would slide right in. You are correct, Randys kit is a direct copy of Keiths design. Keith told me this in person :hammer:
Keiths axles were made by Mosser.
I beleive that Randys axles are made in India?
The only sure way would be to remove your axles, and measure them, then call Randys and check to see if they really are the same.

Marlin
« Last Edit: Jan 30, 2004, 11:40:34 PM by Marlin »
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

Prismo

• Online The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2004, 11:47:30 PM »
I googled the picture. I did a search for Birfield Eliminator. I do have one in my front axle right now (the Redline kit).

Prismo

• Online The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2004, 11:52:16 PM »
Sorry I didn't read Marlins post, Randys axles are made in India.
Here is the link to the Redline picture & text http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/reviews/birfield_elim/

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2004, 12:01:08 AM »
So you are running only one redline axle (rh side)?

Marlin
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

Prismo

• Online The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2004, 12:04:02 AM »
Both sides, a whole kit, sorry for the confusion. It is one of his earlier kits. Just put it back in after taking the 60 hybrid out.

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #14 on: Jan 31, 2004, 12:23:21 AM »
Now I know who you are :hammer:
It comes to reason that we have both learned a big $$$$ lesson.
I sure love my fine business cards  :ladys-man:

Your best bet is to check with Randys (you already knew that)
It would be great if they were the same :crossed:

Marlin

Prismo

• Online The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 31, 2004, 12:29:14 AM »
Such is life, tis only money. Glad you like the cards.

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2004, 12:53:38 AM »
Such is life, tis only money. Glad you like the cards.

Still waiting on the bill for the last ones?

Thanks again-- Marlin

Prismo

• Online The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2004, 02:40:57 AM »
Next time :)

Toyoballs

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -164
  • Member since Dec '03
  • The Slow and The Dangerous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2004, 12:35:07 PM »
Both sides, a whole kit, sorry for the confusion. It is one of his earlier kits. Just put it back in after taking the 60 hybrid out.

Hey Prism, Why did you remove the hybrid 60? and have you heard any feedback on how Randy's setup is taking punishment compared to say like "Bobby Long's" stuff?
Just Grind It Down To Metric...

"MAKE IT OR BREAK IT"
Extreme Off-Road Club

Prismo

• Online The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2004, 12:58:03 PM »
My truck is and always will be a compromise. I wanted a truck I can drive to and from where ever I wheel & be able to do a few long trips each year (my daughter lives in Vegas). I also wanted something I could sleep in. The 60 hybrid would work well if it was a trailer queen & I was running hydro steering. The highway manners of the hybrid were not what I was used to ( I know I am a whimp). Without a good amount of work & $$$ it will not work for my purposes. We may try it later in a trail only rig.

The birfield eliminator kit is plenty strong, but strengthened birfs are cheaper. If you trash an birf axle you can always find a replacement (even if it is an untreated birf) near by. By the time you pony up the money for a set of replacement birf eliminator axles to have spares plus the eliminator kit, you are into enough bucks to buy a lot of treated birfs! Even if you found and axle locally for the birf eliminator you would still have to get it machined & splined to use it. I will probably be going to strengthened birfs by summer for just this reason. My :twocents:

crawlin2u [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2004, 04:42:11 PM »
right on, this is what i expected, i knew that kieth told me  what he was exactly doing and  i do believe  that randys axels will fit , however i have not broke an axel yet not even a u joint, yea its a good kit ill say, and i do belive the stock birfields can still be used in the housing if i  ever do break an 44 axel ,ill slip longfields in. Thanks marlin i know  i need to call randys for sure but i thought you might know some info too  never hurts to ask, ask , ask and ask questions  alos i need a knuckle rebuild kit  im doin my front end  again

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #21 on: Jan 31, 2004, 08:18:18 PM »
right on, this is what i expected, i knew that kieth told me  what he was exactly doing and  i do believe  that randys axels will fit , however i have not broke an axel yet not even a u joint, yea its a good kit ill say, and i do belive the stock birfields can still be used in the housing if i  ever do break an 44 axel ,ill slip longfields in. Thanks marlin i know  i need to call randys for sure but i thought you might know some info too  never hurts to ask, ask , ask and ask questions  alos i need a knuckle rebuild kit  im doin my front end  again

We have hub kits in stock!
        Give us a call

Marlin

Prismo

• Online The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2004, 08:48:20 PM »
I just talked to Keith and according to him both the Redline & the Yukon axles are the same & will interchange

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2004, 09:19:36 PM »
Great to know :biggthumpup:
I alway knew that Randys ripped of Keiths idea by simply copying it!

Marlin
« Last Edit: Feb 02, 2004, 11:16:14 PM by Marlin »

crawlin2u [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2004, 09:36:06 PM »
prism you know kieth and talk to him  a bit, whats he doin now these days  back to work at shinn mechanicle ?  how did his rear disc brake set up turn out like did he ever finish it  , he had good ideas , good work too

crawlin2u [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2004, 09:39:04 PM »
if i order a kuckle kit , gaskets and all ,when would i recieve it if i ordered it on monday from ya ?

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2004, 09:42:01 PM »
if i order a kuckle kit , gaskets and all ,when would i recieve it if i ordered it on monday from ya ?

Two days ground UPS to Everett WA. Sent monday, you would have it wed.

Marlin

crawlin2u [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2004, 09:50:49 PM »
right on  ill do that, need it  , thanks  what  do you know about cams ,  i have  a cam from nw off road for a turbo efi motor but its the same as a  cam for a normal efi motor, the efi cam  valve lift is .426I and .440E  turbo cam is.431I and .443E  the duration is the same though 250/260 do ya know if its worth doing, my motor is a 85 stock .  thanks   shayne

Prismo

• Online The 1K Club
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jan 31, 2004, 09:59:18 PM »
prism you know kieth and talk to him  a bit, whats he doin now these days  back to work at shinn mechanicle ?  how did his rear disc brake set up turn out like did he ever finish it  , he had good ideas , good work too
I believe he is doing HVAC work again. I don't know if he finished the brake kit or not. I know he doesn't have his 4-Runner any more, he may have completed the set up on that one before it was sold.

crawlin2u [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jan 31, 2004, 10:02:04 PM »
yea i remember that runner coils  and all    cool  yea i know he was doin that work cause thats what i do too , hvac/r