Author Topic: who knows batteries ?  (Read 4864 times)

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
who knows batteries ?
« on: Jan 09, 2015, 08:49:01 PM »
I need a new battery for my 84 22r DD. 
 I know the die-hard  platinum is the hot battery right now but at $300 Im exploring other options. My go to autopart store recommended an Interstate with about 1000 cca for $150+ tax. I can get a junk yard special for $40.
 Anyway, I've never had to buy a battery before  :smack: so I thought I'd ask here before  blindly buying something.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Re: who knows batteries ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2015, 09:28:29 PM »
Costco has good prices

group 25,  or group 24 if it fits
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2015, 12:07:16 AM »
Odyssey seems to be the one most people rave about.  I have 10+ year old yellow top optimas that still work fine for me, especially for being free
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Dingman.

• Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2015, 12:26:01 AM »
My redtop is over five years old now.  I think its time to start thinking about replacing it.  Ill either get the same or go with a yellow top. 
The only reason i went with an optima In the first place was after i flopped my 4runner the battery i had spilled everywhere, so i went and got the optima becauSe it was sealed so that wouldn't happen again.

For a daily driver, i would just put a cheapie in there.  Im not sure what is in my tacoma, but when it dies ill probably throw a battery from napa/autozone/etc in there.  Just because they are easy enough to replace under waranty when it craps out.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2015, 08:26:04 AM »
Interstate battery warehouses, at least here, sell reconditioned batteries for $40. Tucson is hard on batteries, but even if they lasted only a year...it works. I haven't bought a new one for ten years or more, all my family has them as well.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2015, 10:17:30 AM »
I did grab one for the 2wd from napa.  They've become so damn expensive anymore!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2015, 12:29:40 PM »
New optimas boo
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

toyodaaddict [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2015, 02:29:29 PM »
New optimas boo

Yeah, Ive seen this all over the forums.  My autoparts store guys said they actually stopped carrying optima because of it, that and not following through on thier warranty.

Right now Im leaning towards the interstate. My buddy works at napa and can get a good discount on napa brand batteries, they have an agm but I dont know.  Thanks for the input guys.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2015, 02:37:15 PM »
Last May I bought an 84-month NAPA Legend Premium (conventional lead-acid, 875A, 700CCA) for $107, for the Tacoma. Not fancy-schmancy, but it's just a battery. Starts the truck every time, just like it's supposed to.   ;)
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

knucklebuster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 271
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2015, 03:31:35 PM »
I have a diehard platinum in my 4runner and love it! You cant beat 4yr free replacement then 4yr prorated! this it the second one I have owned, I got really tired of cleaning corrosion on terminals, cables and the battery pan, only down side is the special charger you need, if you ever need it.. the are said to be rebadged odysseys.

I just replaced both less schwab batterys in my diesel after only 2 yrs, took em in to test em after trying to charge for a day, one had a dead cell and one just was dead.. only a month out of warranty, they wanted to charge me way to much to replace them. I was kinda pissed so I took the $130 they offered me and drove over to walmart.
I have heard really good things about walmart batterys and have a few of their deepcycles that work great, but they only had one I stock and I needed two, so I ended up going to sears.

that being said if acid spilling and corrosion isn't an issue (was for me, lots of fast and bumpy and steep dirt roads!) I would get a cheap lead acid..

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 10, 2015, 08:17:55 PM »
I've always used a Group 34 in my 87 Toyota.  It's 1" shorter than the Group 24 that is recommended for my 87, but has 200 more Cold Cranking Amps, and 20 more Amp Hours.  And I get it at Les Schwab. 

Back when I was working the tire shop, there was only 3 manufacturers of batteries.  And most brands were the same, just a different label on them.  So, most of the lead acid batteries are the same.  The batteries we used to get at the shop, came off the same truck that would stop at Napa, Fred Meyer, and Shucks in town.  So, we all were selling the same battery, but had different labels.  So, I would just get a battery wherever you do most of your vehicle maintenance from.  And get one that has a decent warranty. You don't have to get the absolute best battery.  But if you have a chance of flopping your rig over, I'd look into a sealed unit.  But most sealed unit ones, can't but put on basic home chargers.

One thing to make sure of is keeping an eye on your charging system in your rig.  If it's not running at 100% capacity, it will kill your battery, by either overcharging, or draining your battery.  Also, use those green/red felt washers around the posts, and by the battery spray too!  It might be overkill, but I have ZERO corrosion on my battery and cables.

And while your swapping out batteries, look at your cable ends.  If there is any corrosion, get new cables.  The Toyota cable ends are the worst setup.  They corrode, and break really easy. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 10, 2015, 10:23:53 PM »
  Also, use those green/red felt washers around the posts, and by the battery spray too!  It might be overkill, but I have ZERO corrosion on my battery and cables.
Good points! A few years ago I noticed light corrosion forming on the positive terminal. Cleaned it with baking soda & water, then treated both terminals with dielectric grease. Problem solved, not a speck of corrosion since.
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,556
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2015, 11:56:37 PM »
Optima got bought and moved to mexico. From what I have read that is when quality went down. Look at odyssey the are made in the US and at least on some other forus I have read ate the new go to agm battery.
If you see it, its for sale.

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2015, 12:26:48 AM »
Sears Platinum are Odysseys.

Catch a sale, and they're cheaper...........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15