Author Topic: Question about retreads?? NEED HELP!!  (Read 2788 times)

Toy-Cra-Ze

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 164
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
Question about retreads?? NEED HELP!!
« on: Jun 13, 2013, 06:24:02 PM »
I went to my local big O tire today and i remember seeing a set of 2 goodyear wrangler mtr the old style sitting in there and so i looked at them today and they are 245/75/r16 Which is a 31". So i was wondering how i could maybe get a full set of 4 to run on my truck and i thought about buying 2 treadwright retreads which they make they identical tread pattern of the old style mtr and buy it in 245/75/16 and i would have a full set of the old style mtrs. My question is will this be okay and work out if im running 2 retreads and 2 regular mtrs?? They will be used for daily driving and a decent amount of off roading. Thanks!

TheChewMaster

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 245
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Question about retreads?? NEED HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 13, 2013, 06:28:17 PM »
Some dudes love the retreads, and some dudes would never put them on their rig. It's kinda like the argument of 22r stock carb vs webber. I'd never run a webber or run retreads. I would rather buy the two MTR's and try and find another set of two of them. You are always starting out with a used core on the retreads. Since you do drive around town you should be skeptical because tire failure at high rates of speed can be very dangerous; for you and others on the road.

Toy-Cra-Ze [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2013, 06:48:34 PM »
Well thanks for the input im only 16 so im on a tight budget and figured i could get a good set of tires this way for pretty cheap. If money did come up though i would find a set off all terrains or something for the summer time and save the mtrs for winter. So maybe i would be money ahead holding off on them?

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 13, 2013, 10:43:40 PM »
Todays retreads are far better than years past.  Check out this link:  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=76922.0 

Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Toy-Cra-Ze [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 14, 2013, 06:28:48 AM »
I have really been researching the retreads for awhile now and have read that exact statement 3 or 4 times now about them being better than years past retreads. I have read and followed that thread that you posted up and as soon as I got the idea of what I want to do I went back and read over that thread again. Thank!

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 14, 2013, 10:21:42 AM »
Back in the day when I was drag racing the only slicks you could buy were retreads, made quite a few 160 mph passes on those tires.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 14, 2013, 09:24:12 PM »
Treadwright is doing a "bead to bead" guard dog now with new rubber all the way down the sidewall and no seam at all.  I finally ran that set down to the nubins and lost count at over 40K miles.  I will buy another set of the 31's again this fall and update that thread while I rin them a beat the tar out of them a second time...

I have some cheap/free summer rags on now in 235 and I really miss having 31s on there.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 14, 2013, 10:17:45 PM »
I see that the 31's are listed at $115 each, and 4 shipped to my door is $90.  If my BFG wear out before I get my straight axle put in, I'd be looking into these.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Toy-Cra-Ze [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jan '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 16, 2013, 06:13:34 PM »
Well thanks for the input i think im going to get them and then i will let you guys know how they do!

sandfantom

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 13
  • Member since Oct '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 15, 2014, 06:13:21 AM »
You won't go wrong with the Treadwright tires.  Between a friend of mine, my brother and myself we have bought 7-8 sets of their tires and have not had any problems with them.  All of them went on Gen 2 Toyota 4x4 trucks and lasted 35K to 40K miles.  Mostly 31" tires.

Some might not want to put them on and that is their choice but personally I wouldn't worry about them unless you are planning on driving across the country with them. I haven't gotten any from them for several years but it seems like they have improved their process quite a bit.

When I ordered them I have always requested BFG cores but I am sure you can get what you want. 

Goldrush

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 145
  • Male Posts: 1,381
  • Member since Jan '10
  • wheelin!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 15, 2014, 07:15:11 AM »
Talkin about an old thread...
-Zack- aka uncle Zack!                GOT MARLIN?

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #11 on: Aug 15, 2014, 04:13:56 PM »
It's been

rethreaded

:cheese:

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 16, 2014, 10:16:23 PM »
I've had several sets come through the shop and they rarely run out smooth.  I saw they now make some on nitto carcasses, which tend to run waaaay smoother than bfg, so may that was an attempt to fix it.  Coulda been availability, too.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!