Author Topic: Are 5.29s with single 4.7 case rough on shafts???  (Read 1662 times)

SwampDonkey931

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 30
  • Member since Feb '14
  • New Registered Nurse and Offroad Lover
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Are 5.29s with single 4.7 case rough on shafts???
« on: Mar 10, 2014, 10:29:29 PM »
Okay guys my who knows how old Trail Gear 4.7s just went kapow and left me between a rock and a hard place.  IN MY DEFENSE THEY CAME WITH THE TRUCK. But when i was in the process of replacing them, a fella told me i need to upgrade my output shafts as well. His reasoning was that 5.29 gears with a 4.7 case was "rougher on the shafts" i think he said than 4.10s would be. I just simply said maybe and continued on my day. I sat and pondered this, as he was a very old guy who everyone swears by, and think that this goes against my understanding of gearing logic in my head.  :headscratch: I searched and can't seem to find a solid answer.  IS HE RIGHT??? Have i had it wrong all along when it comes to the cases and gears combo? Would 4.10s with my single 4.7 case be easier on my components than my 5.29s??

ps. IM GETTING MARLIN GEARS ASAP. These were free.
1984 SR5 EXT cab 4x4 Full exo cage crawler , 22r motor, bored .60 over flat top pistons. 87 block decked out.  20r head with LCE camshaft and 48 weber carb, electric cooling fan, 5.29 gears with 35x15 swampers, lock rite front and welded rear. Backing plate axles with eliminator s and rock gaurd seals, warn hubs, crossover steering, IFS box and frame supports. I also like stickers.

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
no.

keep the 5.29's.
Everyone says you need to regear your axles to reduce stress on your drivetrain.

SwampDonkey931 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
BY THE WAY WHEN I WHEEL......I WHEEL. Im an impatient person.
1984 SR5 EXT cab 4x4 Full exo cage crawler , 22r motor, bored .60 over flat top pistons. 87 block decked out.  20r head with LCE camshaft and 48 weber carb, electric cooling fan, 5.29 gears with 35x15 swampers, lock rite front and welded rear. Backing plate axles with eliminator s and rock gaurd seals, warn hubs, crossover steering, IFS box and frame supports. I also like stickers.

SwampDonkey931 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Here is a similar argument i think he was trying to make, it makes sense, but it doesn't at the same time. They talk about "MOVING THE STRESS TO THE SHAFTS RATHER THAN THE CASE"??

http://www.yotatech.com/f115/4-7-transfer-case-5-29-rear-better-choice-trail-rig-202239/

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 185
  • Male Posts: 474
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Chief Mischief Officer at High Octane Spirits LLC
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
Take it from a engineer. 4.10's are harder on case outputs than 5.29's. all gears are torque multipliers and by having the large torque values closer to the tire takes the larger torque numbers off the drive train upstream.

That is why most heavy equipment uses low hp engines and axle planitaries at the tires to keep the torque down to the least amount of components so they can design them lighter hence cheaper to manufacture.

SwampDonkey931 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Wow geez man. That was exactly what i was looking for. Here's a turtle point. lol I appreciate it.

ryantowry_81

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 185
  • Male Posts: 474
  • Member since Dec '12
  • Chief Mischief Officer at High Octane Spirits LLC
    • View Profile
    • High Octane Spirits
    • Buy me a drink
no problem. sorry if i geeked out there for a moment, i try and keep my inner engineer under wraps but some times it seeps out....lol :smack:

SwampDonkey931 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Ha no you're fine. that's what i was looking for. Real answers with the reasoning behind it.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
I agree keep your 5.29's, a friend of my runs Marlin's dual ultimate's with a turbo trans and 5.29's in his 4Runner and  has never had an issue.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
BY THE WAY WHEN I WHEEL......I WHEEL. Im an impatient person.

I think this may be the real issue. :gap:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

SwampDonkey931 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '14
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Ha yea that's kind of why i wanted to find the best combo. Thank you guys for your input.