Author Topic: detroit locker is this normal  (Read 3420 times)

MidgetMike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 55
  • Male Posts: 668
  • Member since Sep '04
  • My 83 soon to be the sh%*
    • View Profile
detroit locker is this normal
« on: Oct 03, 2004, 08:17:00 PM »
 :dunno:  I have a detroit locker with 5.29's as my rear end that has about 3/4s of a turn of play before it engages, about a 1/8 of it at each end of the slop is ruff and notchy feeling. WHat the heck is this? Ican feel it when I shift  and even when I just let off the gas. the locker came installed with the truck I had 5.29's installed about 14 months ago, since then it's gotten worse more so in the last 6 months. I filled the diff with water once but drained it within the hour. I keep being told that it is normal but I don't see how. :wall: :wall: :blah: 
Sounds like more tree huggin hippie bull :pokinit:

KYOTA

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
Re: detroit locker is this normal
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2004, 08:22:57 PM »
I have a Detriot in the front w/4.88's and cant tell its there

Fireimp141

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 786
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2004, 08:26:16 PM »
Wish i could say the same :rivers:
86 Toyota 4runner, 33X12.5-15 Aurora RT/02's on Series 97 15X10 rock crawlers, 3" performance body lift, Rancho RS5000's... Soon to be Marlin 1200 Clutch, tube bumper front and rear, nerf bars and roof rack... future plans include SAS 5.29's detroits!

I am the Amazing Turtle! and I'm awarding you 49 points, increasing your Turtle Points!

MidgetMike [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2004, 08:42:43 PM »
I  think it killed my tranny and I'm getting a new one and don't want to ruin it or my drive line

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #4 on: Oct 04, 2004, 11:13:49 AM »
my det. locker in the rear of my 83 has about 1/4 trun of play. and I do feel it when I lat off the gas. told it "normal"  :dunno:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

GrimReaper

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 58
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 04, 2004, 06:20:48 PM »
Sounds normal. I have one in my K5 and you can set up for a corner and hold the wheel and steer with the gas peddle.  :disturbed:

Anybody tells you a heavy truck will make it not noticable must driver dump trucks. It totaly changed the way that truck drove on the street.

Off road its awsome! I'm locked front on that truck also. The K5 has a converted NP203. I can go 2wd in both low an high. In slick stuff it will sometimes try to to go straight because of the front locker. Just hit 2wd and go. The rear pulls so good now that I only go 4wd if I am slipping a tire or if I think I will on climbs or decents where I need to keep all 4 going the same speed for control.

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2004, 08:24:09 PM »
I have a detriot locker and 5.29's in my rear axle too.  It has about 1/2 to 3/4 of play before it engages sometimes.  Sometimes it has about 1/4 of play before it engages.  I don't think that is good.  I am waiting for it to break so i can get full sizes.

Roc Doc

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -62
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Total Karnage
« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2004, 03:53:16 PM »
A detroit or any automatic locker is just making the lash in your driveline noticable.  There is a certain amount of lash all the way from the input of the tranny to the differential, and it all adds up.  It's just when you get off the gas, that lash must be taken up, and visa-versa when you let off the throttle.  You get used to it.

Doc
According to a recent study, 50% of all statistics are correct.

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2004, 11:03:55 AM »
I thought i was missing a few teeth on my ring & pinion.

MidgetMike [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2004, 12:57:58 PM »
well i've got it sitting on blocks while I put in the new tranny  and the front spins nice and smooth while the rear is grinding as it spins, if the back lash is normal as i sounds like thats fine but something is totaly :censored: with the bearings and im told it is because the gears where set up to tight 

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2005, 01:28:36 PM »
well I've got it sitting on blocks while I put in the new tranny  and the front spins nice and smooth while the rear is grinding as it spins, if the back lash is normal as i sounds like thats fine but something is totally :censored: with the bearings and I'm told it is because the gears where set up to tight 

I would say that you have a bearing problem, but I am no mechanic.

I have an 85 Yota with a Detroit installed in the rear with 4.88 gears.  The Detroit completely changed the way my truck handled and drove.  The positive is that it nearly unstoppable (clarification: for the level of trials that I run), I do the difficult but not extreme Moab trails.  I only have a Trutrac front limited slip and I drove up Rocker Knocker on Pritchett Canyon the first try, however I nearly rolled it over  :laugh:  Note: my  :turtle:  4:70:1 transfer case is the reason it goes so well.  There are obviously negatives with the Detroit that include the following: (1) while turning at slow speeds (parking lots) the truck surges as it locks and unlocks. (2) Increased tire wear. (3) Since I don't have an E-brake it rolls when I park it about a foot before it locks and stops. (4) It tends to engage hard off the line, so I usually let the clutch out a little to take up the slack before I release the brake. (5) If it engages/locks while turning it can really sound horrible when the teeth finally mesh completely, almost like a broken axle.  I figure that these are all a worthwhile trade for having the quality of the Detroit where I know it is as reliable as anything on the market.  Everyone that I know with a Detroit experiences the same things, automatic transmission seems to smooth things out a bit.  Just my  :twocents:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #11 on: Mar 17, 2005, 01:43:50 PM »
WELD IT BABY...no lash problems, no clutch packs to catch up with each other...just go and have fun...  :moon:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 17, 2005, 03:16:27 PM »
ARB, Electric locker or Weld it and in that order.  Dertoit lockers are unbreakable, but they can cause other things to break.  :twocents:
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 17, 2005, 03:18:33 PM »
Has anybody thought on converting an ARB to hyd lock?
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #14 on: Mar 18, 2005, 08:36:01 AM »
well i've got it sitting on blocks while I put in the new tranny and the front spins nice and smooth while the rear is grinding as it spins, if the back lash is normal as i sounds like thats fine but something is totaly :censored: with the bearings and im told it is because the gears where set up to tight
it sounds to me that they were set up too tight and your carrier bearings are roasted,  pull your third member and see what you got,  if its bad even a untrained eye will know
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way