Author Topic: upgrade for IFS idler arm?....why does it not last that long?  (Read 9757 times)

bleakhorizon

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 803
  • Member since Jul '07
  • I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant.
    • View Profile
Ok so i have a bone stock (suspension wise) 91 4runner..  Has a bit bigger tires 31" and prob an inch offset on the wheel.. nothing extreme at all.... yet, i can maybe get 4 month out of an idler arm before the bushings are shot... cheap ones, expensive ones, whatever... (havent bought a toyota one, but i re-bushed a factory one once) even ran a brace on one and it still shat out on me...

Well i finally went out and bought a set a brass bushings because i thought they would be the thing..  did work the longest so far...  about 14 months... (supposedly i can rotate the bushings up to 4 times and they are still good  :dunno: )

well im more looking for an answer as to why its doing it, i mean i can get the cheap cheap ones for 20 bucks all day, swap em out in 15 minutes. but thats not the point really.. the suspension is tight, alignment is good. I know the roads around here are crap but i mean really.... i dont drive much, maybe 800-1000 miles a month so what gives...

if this dont stop im going to route of twistedtoys93 and making my own http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.60;msg=1036936 
Those are some huge welds!

Tillamook, OR

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
I still have my original one in my 86 truck (~173k)

I made one modification to it long long ago....

I drilled and tapped the body in the middle for a zerk fitting and drilled a tiny hole in the top dust cap.

Every time I lube the truck, I lube the idler arm (until grease starts oozing out the top and bottom).......
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Well if you are willing to spend $370.00, Total Caos has one!!!!!!

David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Make or buy an idler arm gusset.  They use to be available everywhere, now days not so much but they always worked good for me when I ran IFS.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

bleakhorizon [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
I still have my original one in my 86 truck (~173k)

I made one modification to it long long ago....
I drilled and tapped the body in the middle for a zerk fitting and drilled a tiny hole in the top dust cap.
Every time I lube the truck, I lube the idler arm (until grease starts oozing out the top and bottom).......

Not a bad idea... might have to do that with the arm i have now.

Make or buy an idler arm gusset.  They use to be available everywhere, now days not so much but they always worked good for me when I ran IFS.

been there done that, seemed to help it last longer, but still crapped out on me..

Well if you are willing to spend $370.00, Total Caos has one!!!!!!
Um.... NO. i would make one before i bought that.

not sure if it has anything to do with anything, but my steering stabilizer is shot... prob scrounge up a new one just because

Tillamook, OR

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Since going to Moog(lifetime warranty) I haven't had to pay for one in last 10yrs, and seem to exchange them about every 4yrs or so.  My '91 w/35's seems to go through them a little quicker, this will be its 3rd one in 6yrs.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
They are just not made to endure what we do to our rigs, I have always carried a spare when I've had an IFS truck. A friend of mine didn't heed my warnings and didn't carry one and had it let loose on the trail and I was not there to give him mine. I hear they pulled him backwards to camp since it was the only way it would track, I wish I could have seen that.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
I broke and bent several and even busted the end off a centerlink until I went to some tie rods with heims and high misalignment ends.  After that I didn't mess up any more idler arms while using the long travel style heim steering and the gusset.  The tie rods could probably be made cheaply but honestly mine were too expensive at the time to be a viable solution for most people. It's tough to dump to much into IFS since a solid axle swap always seems to be inevitable.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

bleakhorizon [OP]

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
here lies my dilemma with what the last two are saying...  i don't wheel this rig. its my DD the most it really sees on a monthly bass's is gravel roads. which around here are usually as nice or nicer than the paved roads...

On my 87 pu i ran 35's and wore one idler out and only bent ONE, idler in the couple years i ran it. and it was my trail DD rig..

Tillamook, OR

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Sounds like you need to torch out that front end and go SAS!!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Redsonja

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Oct '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
If you aren't wheeling your rig and you have 31s and they last only 4 months from brand new than there is something wrong elsewhere in your steering or front end that is making it fail prematurely. I wheel my truck and have bigger tires and since adding my own rhd idler brace I haven't had an issue. And I was bending the whole unit not just mucking up bushings. So my point is an idler should lasting than 4 months. You need to investigate why it's doing that before putting more money at band aiding it.

Sent from my atari using Tapatalk

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Toby you need to tell Amber to quite riding the 4Runner so hard!!   :rofl2:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

twistedtoy92

• Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
I had went through 3 or 4 before I did the ball joint spacer lift and went to 34'' tsl's then every trip out would shear the arm right off. Always climbing rocky hills where a little speed was required, hit a little hole and POP! I was running Moog and the quality of the shaft is far inferior than factory. I broke my 3rd one and had my last toyota spare with me, threw it on and ended up bending the crossbar about an hour later. Thats when I said to hell with that!  :think: Started by using a spare 18mm marlin spring bolt and large daystar poly bushings, then it all fell together. Then i figured what the hell, my tie rod ends were shot and 3/4'' heims are not that much money. For right around $200 you can do what I did, run the 3/4'' heims and 1 1/2''x.250'' wall tubing and never have to worry about it again!  :biggthumpup: :beerchug:
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)