Author Topic: anybody used marlin's UM-05 birfields?  (Read 4634 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
anybody used marlin's UM-05 birfields?
« on: Feb 07, 2006, 09:47:38 PM »
And if so how have they held up?  I'm not down for dumping $600 plus into axles when I'm not a hardcore wheeler but do totally believe in over-building things for peace of mind.  I'm only gonna be running 35s, probably limited slips front and rear and either single 4.7 case or stock duals.  As I've said before I'm not really a wheeler so much as I like having a very capable truck for hunting and general off roading, but do occasionally turn down a trail I probably shouldn't, so I don't think I need to go chromoly, but would like stronger than stock for the inevitable.  For the price I don't see much competition, don't want to run ringed birfs, and could justify having spares on hand just incase.  So for anybody who's actually run them, what's your take honestly? 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: anybody used marlin's UM-05 birfields?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2006, 06:53:06 PM »
Nobody?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2006, 07:09:48 PM »
No, but after I break my first birf I'll be running the UM-06's

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2006, 07:59:40 PM »
Ha ha, I just can't afford to pony up for the chromos.  I really would rather not wait till I break a birf, cause knowing my luck it'll be in the absolute wrong place at the absolute wrong time!  That's how I roll!

Keep em coming, I need some more input!
RIP KYOTA

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2006, 10:14:37 PM »
The Marlin buggy has been beatin on pretty hard and i haven't heard of them breaking yet.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2006, 10:23:47 PM »
And it's runnin 05s or 06s?
RIP KYOTA

MidgetMike

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 55
  • Male Posts: 668
  • Member since Sep '04
  • My 83 soon to be the sh%*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2006, 06:57:35 AM »
I ran them, they worked well and are easier to find than stock birfields if you need some spares but I wouldn't recomend them if you are running a dual ultimate and a front locker.  :twocents:
Sounds like more tree huggin hippie bull :pokinit:

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2006, 11:55:11 AM »
It sounds like a pair of 27-spline Longs would be the south end of a north bound cat, but I can understand $400 being too much money.  Another option would be to have Bobby Long (www.toyotasuperaxles.com) heat treat and cryo freeze your birfs for $65 each.  It might be the cheapest option a possibly be about as strong as the MC-05 (I know nothing about them).  Just an idea.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2006, 05:16:02 PM »
Maybe it has the 06's.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2006, 11:08:50 AM »
It sounds like a pair of 27-spline Longs would be the south end of a north bound cat, but I can understand $400 being too much money.  Another option would be to have Bobby Long (www.toyotasuperaxles.com) heat treat and cryo freeze your birfs for $65 each.  It might be the cheapest option a possibly be about as strong as the MC-05 (I know nothing about them).  Just an idea.

Not a bad idea, but I'd hafta pay shipping to and fro plus the $65, or $80 plus shipping one way for new, and if I remember right Marlins have a little more metal to em than stock.  Also, there's a guy runnin outa the corner of my buddies shop who has a cryo setup, and I thought about doing that, but I'd almost rather get the um05s and have him treat them maybe, but I'd hafta check with Marlin first and see what they think.
RIP KYOTA

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2006, 08:56:19 PM »
I think he is talking about the cromo 27 spline longfields.  Bobby says they are as strong as the 30 splines.

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2006, 09:07:53 PM »
i got marlins um-o6....i think thats what they are, work great, with 37s and no valve cores :clap2:

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2006, 10:00:29 PM »
I think he is talking about the cromo 27 spline longfields.  Bobby says they are as strong as the 30 splines.

I was talking about having Bobby treat some stock ones, but the 27-spline are the same design as the 30-spline so they might even be a touch stronger.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

yotatilla

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -160
  • Male Posts: 182
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Pretend Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2006, 11:47:45 AM »
All I can say is to stay away from the All Poo Profields. They are aweful. A buddy of mine ran them on an 88 4Runner with an SAS among other things, and one lasted 3 trips, the other lasted 5 and didn't make any cool noises when they blew up. Total crap.

Sam
2 1986 4Runners+
1 solid Axle+
2 transfercases+
4 35x14.5 Thornbirds+
2 Aussie Lockers+
1 Marlin SAS kit=
UBER 4RUNNER

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2006, 01:43:42 PM »
UM-05 = junk.  Don't bother.

1st one didn't last the 1st trip.  2nd one held out till the 2nd trip.  This was in a '89 with 4.0 box with 35 toyo's locked.

Came apart in so many pieces wasn't even worthly of a door stop.

Has been replaced with the UM-06 and holding strong.

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 13, 2006, 03:44:13 PM »
All set, please explain what you were doing that prompted the breakage.  I will not be doing any rock crawling, just general 4 wheeling and hunting/logging trails.  If you were slow crawling over water bars and they broke then I would be concerned, but if you were doing a full throttle assault then it might not apply to me.

And yotatilla, all pro has long since been canceled off the options list!  I don't know if their new ones are any better, but heard way too many stories of people telling them how easily they broke, only to get the reply that they would keep selling them regardless.  Not to flame them, just don't trust em.
RIP KYOTA

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 13, 2006, 05:00:42 PM »
The bottom line is this...

I have made three week long trips to Moab (along with numerous other trips) on stock birfields with the following modifications:

1st Year - 32 inch BFG Muds, Open Differentials, Stock gearing

2nd & 3rd Years - 33 inch BFG Muds, Detroit rear, Truetrac front, 4.88 R&P & 4.70 T-case.

I have done the majority of the difficult (not the "extreme" ones) trails in Moab including Pritchett Canyon and several difficult ones in Colorado (in the 1st year build) and did not break anything.  I have replaced a couple of universal joints since I purchased the truck.

The key to not breaking them is don't use the throttle while turning and  minimize the bouncing.  When I climbed Rocker Knocker Hill I broke all the rules.  I started on the far right side, locked the steering goinging left and bounced my way across the face of the ledges until it when up, nothing broke.

I recently installed 30-spline Longs because the thought of actually breaking them makes me  :sick:  and I recently upgraded to an Aussie in the front.  Unless you have a locker, if you drive smoothly and reasonably you shouldn't break them often if at all.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 13, 2006, 08:05:57 PM »
That's kinda my feelings too!  As I've said, I'm all for going overbuilt, but cost far outweighs need right now.
RIP KYOTA

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2006, 02:16:03 PM »
All set, please explain what you were doing that prompted the breakage.  I will not be doing any rock crawling, just general 4 wheeling and hunting/logging trails.  If you were slow crawling over water bars and they broke then I would be concerned, but if you were doing a full throttle assault then it might not apply to me.

And yotatilla, all pro has long since been canceled off the options list!  I don't know if their new ones are any better, but heard way too many stories of people telling them how easily they broke, only to get the reply that they would keep selling them regardless.  Not to flame them, just don't trust em.

Never used heavy throttle.  1st gear crawling on small / medium rock gardens, (picture an *easier* mini rubicon @ hollister is about the size of the rock garden.) and Hollister   Not my rig, but he purchased the UM-05 to save money.   When those went, he purchased the UM-06's and is one happy camper now.   

I'd say he is a mild wheeler, besides the local rock garden the hardest trails the rig sees it what's at hollister(hasn't attempted mini rubicon yet).  He runs 35" toyo's, one 4.0 box, 5.29 gears, welded front and rear, and is always light on the throttle. 

If it matters he runs the 35x 13.5 toyos on 15x10. 

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2006, 04:32:46 PM »
Never used heavy throttle.  1st gear crawling on small / medium rock gardens, (picture an *easier* mini rubicon @ hollister is about the size of the rock garden.) and Hollister   Not my rig, but he purchased the UM-05 to save money.   When those went, he purchased the UM-06's and is one happy camper now.   

I'd say he is a mild wheeler, besides the local rock garden the hardest trails the rig sees it what's at hollister(hasn't attempted mini rubicon yet).  He runs 35" toyo's, one 4.0 box, 5.29 gears, welded front and rear, and is always light on the throttle. 

If it matters he runs the 35x 13.5 toyos on 15x10.

The key is highlighted in RED.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2006, 10:31:41 PM »
That was staring right back at me too.  Thanks all set, I think that answered it perfectly for me!  I'm gonna run limited slips front and rear, front stock and rear shimmed to make it a little tighter maybe.  Keep it coming everybody!
RIP KYOTA

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 14, 2006, 10:51:20 PM »
Get Truetracs (gear bias) so they don't wear out.  :twocents:

hudlenutz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 22
  • Male Posts: 220
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
    • My Page
« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2006, 08:10:49 AM »
You could always just carry a set of stock spares.  Once you know what it takes to brake one, you could decide how much 'over build' you need, then go longs or 06's.  If you never pop a birf, then you wouldn't have much money wrapped up in the spares that you didn't need.

:-\\

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 15, 2006, 09:29:44 AM »
im running stock birfs welded frnt and rear and there still going after 6 trips but i do carry two spairs with me just in case you just gotta be carefull when turning and know when not to turn i do plan on upgraiding when i get the money

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 15, 2006, 09:46:38 AM »
The last time I was in Moab I ran into a local guy running dual cases, lockers f/r & 36 inch tires.  He was carrying a set of aftermarket birfs that he was carrying to swap when he broke the stock ones.  He had been carrying them for more than a year.  His truck was tube from the cab back and he wasn't afraid to go the nasty places, but he drove very smooth and smart.

He was wheeling with the builder/1st owner of the Army Green 85 Toy with all tube work behind the cab that has been sold on ebay a couple of times.  Some of you may recognize the truck.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 15, 2006, 06:38:14 PM »
Get Truetracs (gear bias) so they don't wear out. :twocents:

No way man, get factory limited slips out of late 80s supras for cheap at the wrecker :thumbs: 
RIP KYOTA

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Feb 16, 2006, 07:14:12 PM »
i've got a pair in my front end, the rear still needs to be done, but i'll let you guys know how i do.  front is open, and kinda cobbled together so there'll probably be internal carnage before long, but if it gets me on the trail i don't care.

when i get some money i'm gonna get some regular longfields and chromo inners.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Feb 16, 2006, 07:21:20 PM »
i've got a pair in my front end, the rear still needs to be done, but i'll let you guys know how i do.  front is open, and kinda cobbled together so there'll probably be internal carnage before long, but if it gets me on the trail i don't care.

when i get some money i'm gonna get some regular longfields and chromo inners.

What do you have a pair of in the front end that would also be done in the rear?  :headscratch:

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #28 on: Feb 17, 2006, 01:59:08 PM »
He has a pair of the 05's in the front axle, but he can't tell us how they are because his rear end isn't together yet, therefore he cannot wheel.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Feb 19, 2006, 12:39:10 PM »
that's it, i :yupyup:  think the 4.38s would get jealous of the 4.88s in the front end if i happened to lock her into 4lo