Author Topic: Lovely winter ick!  (Read 4197 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Lovely winter ick!
« on: Feb 25, 2017, 11:43:33 PM »
Had a coworker out for a few days with whatever has been going around.  He says it was an upper respiratory infection, but he's had a persistant cough that he gladly launches open mouthed all the time rather than covering it up.  I got cocky and thought I'd get through the winter without a serious cold/flu.  I seem to be wrong.

What was weird was that I could feel it coming in throughout the day.  I always pop an allergy pill before work, but noticed it didn't appear to be working and took another at lunch.  I'd been sneezing throughout the morning and blamed it on the allergies, but shortly after returning from lunch I began to feel different, off.  The sneezing became more prevalent, mucus began to kick in more and I just began feeling, well, odd.  It became very evident I was quickly lunging toward becoming very sick, but had nothing at work to help.

I took what I always do (not medication, just natural immune boosters) as soon as I got home and began diffusing the same stuff.  As it stands now, I feel physically fine still, not dragging down or low on energy, I just cannot stop sneezing and my nose is dripping like a leaky faucet, to the point of great annoyance and discomfort.

What do you fellers do when you start getting a cold or flu?  I really, really, really do not like taking medication and have never taken antibiotics.  Hope to never have to.  Considering buying a netty pot, or whatever they're called.  Gonna go through the house and disinfect everything I touch, toss my old toothbrush and stop kissin the neighborhood sleeper... for a while, at least
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Lovely winter ick!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2017, 01:01:23 AM »
Lots of sleep........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2017, 01:52:25 AM »
Hot fresh basil tea with honey, lemon a dash of black pepper and three shakes of Crystal Hot Sauce, works for me.   :biggthumpup:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2017, 07:19:59 AM »
There has been some really nasty bugs going around.  I was sick 3 times since the first of the year.  And I generally only get sick once in a year!

In my Dept of 45 employees, we have had 77 call ins since the first of January.  We average that in a year 90% of the time, if that tells you anything.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2017, 11:14:21 AM »
The Missus & I have both been down with it the past few days, her worse than me. No telling where it came from..... we are both starting to feel a bit better. Finally remembered to fire up the diffuser. Nate, you're welcome to have my Neti pot. Got it some years back on our doctor's suggestion. Tried it a few times and never got used to it. It's boxed up in virtually new condition.
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2017, 08:44:26 PM »
The Missus & I have both been down with it the past few days, her worse than me. No telling where it came from..... we are both starting to feel a bit better. Finally remembered to fire up the diffuser. Nate, you're welcome to have my Neti pot. Got it some years back on our doctor's suggestion. Tried it a few times and never got used to it. It's boxed up in virtually new condition.

I appreciate the offer and will probably take you up on it next time I am over there.  Sorry to hear you're both dealing with this now.  I dove right into diffusing and ingesting the snake oils.  Had a rough sunday, but as I repeatedly awoke going into this am, I began to notice I was feeling better and better and went into work feeling mostly fine.  Amazing change considering I barely kept my eyes open for 4 hours sunday
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2017, 09:20:17 AM »
Lots of crown or jack. I mix up some vanilla crown and coke. About 6 or 7 of those for 2 days and the junk is gone. Works every time.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

fireitup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2017, 10:23:47 AM »
Everyone in our department of 14 has been out at least once in the past 3 weeks. My whole family got brought down and 1yr old got hit with RSV... New Orleans weather has been oscillating between low 50s and high 70s every week or so with every combination of humidity possible and it's killing my immune system!

emergen-c, sleepytime tea and sleep itself are my go to's. If I have to go anywhere I need day-quil but I try not to because I don't want to infect anyone else.

Mobile

82 Pickup - 22R : OME NitroChargers/Springs : Timing Chain @ 180K

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2017, 08:14:02 PM »
I am, unfortunately, in a position where I don't have much option to miss work, and I work directly with people.  Since I'm a big boy and was taught to cover my cough, as well as keeping up with the plan I implemented to disinfect the phones/computers/mouses, etc twice a day, I am reasonably confident everybody else is fairly safe. 

So we've also been giving the coworker who started it all a bit of :pokinit: for doing what he does, and he still doesn't get it and keeps saying "that's just what sick people do!"  If we had a tool shed, he'd be tied up behind it and pretty fairly whipped by now.  You just can't teach manners or etiquette to some people
RIP KYOTA

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2017, 07:40:12 AM »
My wife works in the elementary level.  And mostly with the K and 1 classes.  They call them walking petri dishes. 

She is always bringing home something.  She misses working with the upper grades.  They do a lot better at hand washing and sneezes than the little ones.  And I also have 3 kids at 3 different schools, so we get some serious cross contamination at our house. 

Our go to fix:
1 packet of theraflu nightime in a large mug
1 packet of apple cider
1 healthy shot of honey
2 ground up vitamin C tablets, preferably the orange flavor
1 healthy shot of Sailor Jerry Spiced rum, or any spiced rum

It helps! 

I never call in sick.  I would rather be at work miserable than be home sick miserable.  Plus we are on a points system at work, and if you call in more than 3 times in a quarter they technically can fire you.  We do have 4 paid sick days, mandated by the lovely state of Oregon.  And even those callins, are still counted against you.  I love how a company will take you to safety meetings and discuss/watch about how in the food industry, they don't want you at work if your sick, but then they will punish you for calling in. 

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2017, 05:04:59 PM »
Seeing as I am already feeling very, very good, with only a slight lingering mucus issue, I am gonna say my stuff works.  Considering I had a nose drip on a constant tap saturday night, and felt like walking death sunday, I'd say I'm very much on the down side of this.  Energy level is fine, only hafta blow my nose every now and then, and I didn't even cough up the dreaded wad-o-crap this morning.

I was turned on to this stuff by a friend who did quite a bit of research and it has worked every time I've felt sick, except for twice.  I got very sick last year for quite a while and do not know what was wrong, and it didn't seem to do much for me.  I use it internally and diffuse it when I'm home.  Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but anything that keeps me from ingesting the myriad of chemicals and crap in otc or prescribed medications is a win in my book.  Check it out if you want, and no, I am not selling it  ;)

https://doterra.com/US/en/p/on-guard-oil
RIP KYOTA

fireitup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 01, 2017, 07:33:59 PM »
Glad to hear you are on the up&up!  :beerchug:
82 Pickup - 22R : OME NitroChargers/Springs : Timing Chain @ 180K

OVRAROK

• Turtle Points: 26733
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 01, 2017, 07:41:05 PM »
Seeing as I am already feeling very, very good, with only a slight lingering mucus issue, I am gonna say my stuff works.  Considering I had a nose drip on a constant tap saturday night, and felt like walking death sunday, I'd say I'm very much on the down side of this.  Energy level is fine, only hafta blow my nose every now and then, and I didn't even cough up the dreaded wad-o-crap this morning.

I was turned on to this stuff by a friend who did quite a bit of research and it has worked every time I've felt sick, except for twice.  I got very sick last year for quite a while and do not know what was wrong, and it didn't seem to do much for me.  I use it internally and diffuse it when I'm home.  Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but anything that keeps me from ingesting the myriad of chemicals and crap in otc or prescribed medications is a win in my book.  Check it out if you want, and no, I am not selling it  ;)

https://doterra.com/US/en/p/on-guard-oil

My gal sells this stuff if you need it.
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2017, 10:01:46 PM »
Appreciate the offer, I signed up for a wholesale account just to get them at the discounted price
RIP KYOTA

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 02, 2017, 10:27:54 AM »
My theory is if you lead an active lifestyle, colds don't last very long.  But when you lead a very sedentary lifestyle, you can never shake a cold. 

My wife isn't as active as I am.  She prefers to be lazy and a procrastinator.  I am a lets get it done, and keep moving kinda of person.  My colds don't last, her's seem to linger a long time.  And when one is finally over, she is getting another.   

And I am sick of the smell of cloves!!   :shake_head:   The new kick around here is the Thieves oil. 

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #15 on: Mar 02, 2017, 04:47:11 PM »
What I hate is the lingering crud type of cold.....

You don't get that sick, but you're not getting better either.     

It's as if your immune system says  'it's not that bad, why bother'         

You didn't get sick enough to fully start your immune system.........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2017, 06:46:41 PM »
My immune system.... well, let's just say it is not fully functional. It's important for me to avoid getting sick in the first place, whenever possible. I try to maintain a *relatively* healthy lifestyle, avoid sick people, and stay away from crowds. 

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #17 on: Mar 02, 2017, 07:45:39 PM »
Lingering “crude” is usually caused by a couple things.  One, your body cannot repair the damage quickly that was caused by the bug even after the bug has been defeated.  Or, your immune system is just barely able to fight off whatever is attacking it.

You have to give your immune system Army the ammunition to fight the battle, and then give it the right nutrients to repair the damage and rebuild it.

Eating good foods and maintaining a healthy diet is not always enough to completely prevent catching a really bad bug.  I take supplements every day.

Gnarls.

Maybe.....

But I have recovered from 'lingering crud' by catching something else and getting much worse, then I recovered from everything and no more 'lingering crud'
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Mar 02, 2017, 08:17:46 PM »
I think the key word here is "try".   I try very hard, but I cheat on my body and I know when I'm doing it.  When your are younger, you can get away with cheating, but when you are older, your body will not forgive you as easily.

As Yodi told Luke Skywalker "Try NOT!  Do or do not... there is no try!

Gnarls.
Right on about being younger VS older.  I said "try" because I know I'm never gonna do everything I should do, and skip everything I should skip. I take a few supplements (which I would rather not) to keep the doctors happy, and a few prescriptions to satisfy my body's needs. Beats being unable to do simple things and living with constant pain.   :yesnod:

63W

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Mar 03, 2017, 06:38:22 AM »
I found that cutting out all the sugars that you can from your diet, along with all the processed foods helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk