Author Topic: Home made hand tool advise  (Read 1575 times)

skin6061

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
Home made hand tool advise
« on: Jul 14, 2011, 02:19:16 PM »
Has anyone ever made a home made hand tool from scratch.  I assemble bikes for a living and I made a pedal wrench and everyone that has seen it likes it.  Right now its very crude and I just modified tools to make one.  Now i'm thinking of making a production version of the tool.  the problem i'm running into is choosing the metal.  For one it needs to be thin.  1/8 or 3/16 thick easy to cut on a water table or plasma table.  But my main problem is tool steel needs to be heat treated, is this something i need to do or is there another steel out there that i doesnt need to be heat treated?

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: Home made hand tool advise
« Reply #1 on: Jul 14, 2011, 11:42:18 PM »
Not sure on that one.  I made a few specialty tools when I used to wrench on boats, the only one worth keeping was a tool I made from a stainless shift rod to remove a lower unit from the powerhead.  Used it for years and beat on it pretty good, never had issues with it bending  :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Dr Phat

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 305
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 15, 2011, 08:27:05 AM »
You could technically heat treat it yourself. Get the tool (steel) heat cherry hot, then quench it in some used motor oil (HAVE FIRE EXTINGUISHER NEAR BY!) The metal will absorb the carbon in the oil and make it stronger. The metal will become alot strong but will be much more brittle, experiment and see what you get!

skin6061 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 15, 2011, 12:37:18 PM »
Yeh heat treating is not something i can do or would want to do by hand with a torch for multiple wrenches. 

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
« Reply #4 on: Jul 15, 2011, 04:39:59 PM »
I would not use O1 tool steel, as it tends to get very brittle.  Making O1 red hot and quenching it in oil will make it very hard, harder than a file, and will probably break on you.  The art is in the color of the steel while heating, and picking the right oil to quench.  You can search it pretty easy.  When we make hand tools at work, I use flat 4130 in a normalized state, machine it and then heat treat it, in Caster Oil  (old school, and a high flash point).  I heat the 4130 just till it starts to barely starts to glow, then quench.  When I make cutters out of O1 then its glowing red hot before quench.  If alot of heat is put into the material in the cutting process (flame, plasma, hot tools), you might want to normalize it before heat treating.

I have also seen some beautiful tools made from 416 stainless, which can be treated.

:twocents:

Yeh heat treating is not something i can do or would want to do by hand with a torch for multiple wrenches. 

Its pretty cheap to have them treated, electrically or in an oven