Author Topic: remove cab or leave on to install tranny and engine  (Read 2173 times)

dirtyrota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '10
    • View Profile
remove cab or leave on to install tranny and engine
« on: May 26, 2011, 02:14:47 AM »
alright we all know the cab or the 89 dlx isn't heavy. and the only thing that had to be unhooked in the hardness going to the rear and the steering and body mounts.   so what do yall think is easier to remove the cab and install the tranny and engine or use a engine hoist and install them assembled and bolt the cross member back up for the tranny?

thinking about just taking off the cab changing to some smaller tires and rolling the frame out.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
whats wrong with dropping them in seperately? i have done a few now, and it isn't that bad

the sucky part, is all the wires andconnections and vacuum lines
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

dirtyrota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '10
    • View Profile
nothing just trying to find a faster way to do it.  i was thinking if i take off the cab i can go ahead and weld on my sliders and make a few changes w.0 the weight on the frame. 

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -117
  • Male Posts: 2,048
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
Brakes? Sounds like you like making work for yourself.
You'll never take me alive

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Just drop the motor in.  Then bolt up the tranny.  And finally, add the t-case/s. 

Adding rock sliders you want the body on before you weld them on.  Why make it harder for yourself.  Your not doing head gaskets on a Powerstroke!!  :rofl2: 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

BIGdrew

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Member since Feb '11
    • View Profile
i just put a 22re and a w56 in my runner and didnt even take then apart...just aird the tires down and dropped it in...then bolt your tcase up and your drivin again...

dirtyrota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '10
    • View Profile
Just drop the motor in.  Then bolt up the tranny.  And finally, add the t-case/s. 

Adding rock sliders you want the body on before you weld them on.  Why make it harder for yourself.  Your not doing head gaskets on a Powerstroke!!  :rofl2: 

no kidding dunno why i said that   been a long day and night .  but yeah im just gonna drop it all in at 1 time

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
You might want to consider swapping in new body mounts before welding on the sliders.  Even with a gap for clearance both of my x-cabs ended up rattling on the sliders until I replaced the body mounts.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

dirtyrota [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '10
    • View Profile
thanx for the heads up. i know i gotta disconnect the brakes (thats not a problem)  only reason i thought about taking off the cab is gonna while the engine and tranny are out. i thought it'd be a good time to make some changes . like 63's in the rear (prob gonna flat bed it anyways and the bed isn't bolted down, gonna hit the junk yard and try to find some coilovers  fab up some tabs for them and go. and maybe paint my frame (no rust here in this part of nc)   i swear when i went to remove the bolts that bolt the tran to the engine on the passenger side i alsot has to have a 6' extention and it was just rounding the bolt off.

but one way or another im gonna get it taken apart and put back together ( gotta do it on my own freinds aint worth :pokinit:)

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
So far I've done all the work on my truck by myself.  All the people that said they would be there to help, left town.  That damn government taking away my buddies and sending them to Iraq.   :usa:

The worst thing I had to deal with was the fact that I've never swapped out a motor before.  And getting that damn input shaft lined up in through the clutch, and into the pilot bearing.  Everything else was following the FSM on all else.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen