Author Topic: INSTALL/REMOVE BIRFS  (Read 4155 times)

4DEES

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 1,403
  • Member since Jul '04
  • THROW SOME DEES ON THAT B1TCH!!
    • View Profile
INSTALL/REMOVE BIRFS
« on: Jun 30, 2005, 12:25:25 AM »
so I've takin' axles apart and stuff like that,but never changed a birf. mine are fine(for now) but I might not have my cromoly longfields by the MCR4 roundup so I'm planning on taking a spare set of stock birfs just in case I brake one...or two. so could you guys kinda walk me through changing a BIRF? any info/directions are greatly appreciated,oh and if you got pics that would be cool too.
THANX ALOT GUYS/GALS! :beerchug:  :beerchug:   
***ROCK BRAWLERS~Southern Cali***
 www.rockbrawlers.com 

'85 Toy, 42's and a body lift!

ROCK IT TILL THE WHEELS FALL OFF!!

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
Re: INSTALL/REMOVE BIRFS
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2005, 12:33:06 AM »
Fresh off the Pirate 4x4 FAQ:

Birfield Stuff

Separating a birf from and axle: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/show...4839#post334839

Originally posted by desertoy
----------------------------------------------------
What everyone needs to know about Longfields
After months of testing myself and talking to other people that run them I have compiled a list of things that Longfield owners need to pay attention to. These are not suggestions, these are facts based on multiple failure analysis.

1. You must grease these things before you install them.

2. They will be blue in color when you receive them and you will have to tap them on the axle splines when you first install them but that is OK.

3. You must use a "Martack" on your inner axles. When measuring for the Martack, grease the inner axle splines on the side that slides in the differential. Install the inner axle by its self just far enough so that the seal surface on the axle matches up with the lip of the oil seal and then remove it. look at the impression in the greased splines that the splines in the 3rd member made and put your martack so that the axle cannot slide in any further than your mark. DO NOT GO BY ANYONE ELSES MEASUREMENT! There are too many variables. Just do it yourself and you will be sure that it is right. [edit by 4RnrRick - I prefer using masking tape on the spines instead of grease for determining the correct location for a martack. Also the reason for the martack is so that if you break an inner axle shaft it would be nearly impossible to remove the broken piece from inside the birf cage if the outermost snap ring is left on the inner axle shaft.]

4. Before you install the knuckle, clean it up real good and either remove the top 4 trunnion bolts (the ones that the steering arm mounts to) and reinstall them with permanent thread locker, or make sure that they are seated properly and tack weld them on the inside of the knuckle.

5. You MUST use a snap ring on the locking hub side of the Longfield. There are 2 snap ring grooves on the Longfield end of the axle shaft. You must NOT use a snap ring on the outside (the part that goes inside of the Longfield) of the axle shaft. You MUST use a snapring on the groove that is just outside of the Longfield. This will keep the axle from sliding too far in the longfield and damaging the end of the axle shaft.

6. The factory steering stops are made out of a piece of angle iron that is welded onto the axle tube. These stops are weak and WILL bend with use and throw off your steering stop adjustment. Either weld a bolt down the center of them to strengthen them or cut then off and replacement them with something stronger.

7. The steering stop adjustment is the most critical adjustment you can do to make you steering components and your Longfields live. To do this you must start by centering your steering box. With your drag link disconnected, rotate your steering wheel from lock to lock while counting the turns of the steering wheel. Divide that # by 2, to get the # of turns from lock position to center. With the steering box centered, hook up the drag link without moving the steering wheel. The knuckle assembly MUST be centered also. If it is not, adjust the length of your drag link to accomplish this. Next, disconnect the tie rod, and with the drag link hooked up and the steering stops backed off all the way, turn the wheel all the way to the left until the Longfield binds. You can tell when it binds by having a buddy turn the hub (tire) while you do this. When the hub (tire) gets hard to turn, the Longfield is binding. Set your stops on the right (passengers) knuckle so that this does not happen. Now turn the wheel all the way to the right and do the same thing. Next, hook up you tie rod and with the Left (drivers) side steering stops backed off turn the steering wheel all the way to the left until the RIGHT (passengers)steering stop does its job. Adjust the LEFT (drivers) steering stop at this point. Turn the steering wheel all the way to the right and do the same thing. This adjustment needs to be checked periodically. {edit by 4rnrrick: Also re-enforcing them will help stop them from crushing. Welding 5/8-11unc nuts in them work well.}

8. Go wheeling but make sure to bring spare inner axle shafts.

9. If you break a Longfield change it immediatly. Call Bobby when you get home and if it meets the warrenty criteria he will send you another one.
The above list should probably be also applied to any type of aftermarket Birfield / Marfield / Newfield/ Longfield/ Smurfield / WhateverField....

Originally posted by RustyPOS
trail fix - if you don't have an axle seal when you break a birfield use about a 1/4" slice of (toyota) radiator hose ...it still leaks a little but it doesn't dump out..

Birfield - How to change one quickly Camo method

I wonder how many of you guys out there are aware of the "Camo Method" of replacing Birfields on a Toy axle:

Pull locking hub cap and remove snap ring.
Unbolt seal/felts on back of knuckle.
Unbolt brake caliper and tie out of the way. (can be skipped if you have long brake lines)
Unbolt steering arm. (leave bottom knuckle cap alone)
Pull entire outer knuckle assembly off of axle.
Sawp in your parts.
Put it back together.

It's a big-time shortcut since you don't need to mess with the 54mm socket or wheel bearings.
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

derek

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -61
  • Male Posts: 600
  • Member since May '02
  • slow truck=more time to nap
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2005, 07:09:15 AM »
that is the way i do my birfs i break.
if you get good at it you can have one changed in 30 mins.
but if you get the chromo longs you shouldnt need to use it. except when you put them in.  :yupyup:

derek

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #3 on: Jun 30, 2005, 07:09:55 AM »
Birfield - How to change one quickly Camo method

I wonder how many of you guys out there are aware of the "Camo Method" of replacing Birfields on a Toy axle:

Pull locking hub cap and remove snap ring.
Unbolt seal/felts on back of knuckle.
Unbolt brake caliper and tie out of the way. (can be skipped if you have long brake lines)
Unbolt steering arm. (leave bottom knuckle cap alone)
Pull entire outer knuckle assembly off of axle.
Sawp in your parts.
Put it back together.

It's a big-time shortcut since you don't need to mess with the 54mm socket or wheel bearings.

Unless you are installing one in your driveway, The Camo Method is the only way to go.
BTW, who's Camo? :laugh:

4DEES [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 30, 2005, 08:52:00 AM »
that is the way i do my birfs i break.
if you get good at it you can have one changed in 30 mins.
but if you get the chromo longs you shouldnt need to use it. except when you put them in. :yupyup:

derek
yeah I dont have my cromo's yet,thats why I might be takin' some spares too the roundup.
 www.rockbrawlers.com 

4DEES [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 30, 2005, 08:52:40 AM »
thanx for the info guys! :thumbs:  :beerchug:
 www.rockbrawlers.com 

derek

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 30, 2005, 08:59:52 AM »
if you are running 40's on stock birfs i would bring lots of spare birf and inners.
as soon as i went larger than 35's i started breaking birfs every trip.
broke one ringed long and twited splines on another with the 38's
but the 30 spline longs have not even flinched since i put them in.

derek

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 30, 2005, 11:29:24 AM »
if you are running 40's on stock birfs i would bring lots of spare birf and inners.

derek

Are you locked in the front?

GET IT!!!

derek

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 30, 2005, 12:48:33 PM »
Are you locked in the front?
yup, ran an e-z locker for a few years, now running an arb.
i push my rig pretty hard, so its not suprising that i broke the front a lot.

derek

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 30, 2005, 12:51:07 PM »
Yeah cause I was going to say, I have 37s and am open in the front... only thing is that I havent beat on it much yet...its my DD so i need to take it easy.

GET IT!!!

4DEES [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jul '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 01, 2005, 12:36:15 AM »

derek
well,two reasons why I don't sweat it as much: 1) I'm open in the front. 2) driving style also plays a big part here.  :driving: , I beat my :pokinit:, but not the stupid way. people seem surprised when I'm out on the trail and I tell them I run stock birfs, not tryin to jinx it  :crossed: , but like I said it's all on the driving style of the driver. so if I dont have my cromo's by then,I'll definately have some spares. :thumbs:  :biggthumpup:
 www.rockbrawlers.com 

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #11 on: Jul 01, 2005, 07:24:58 AM »
I run stock birf's and have never broke one :crossed: I run Downey limitedslips and had an ezlocker in my Sammi, I fear the birf and try to be careful for the most part. I figure when or if I ever put in a crawler I may have to go to something else due to the additional load that will be put on them.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

derek

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 01, 2005, 08:24:00 AM »
i ran my stock birfs for 4 years locked up front running 35's. and finally broke one doing something stupid  :hahaha: .
then i put on 37's and broke one almost every trip.
then i put in the ringed longs and 38's and broke one ringed long after like 20 trips and twisted the splines on another.
now i have the 30 spline chromo longs and they have not let me down, even with me trying to kill them at the hammers.

derek

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 01, 2005, 11:26:20 AM »
I put in the Birfield elliminator kit from Randy's Ring & Pinion, and have wheeled the Shiat out of my truck and never had a problem. It uses D44 axle stubs with a U-joint. So far, I'm very happy with them.

running locked front/rear (with ARB), and 4.88's on 35's No problems.

Erik :usa:
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 04, 2005, 09:39:42 PM »
I pulled my whole hub and spindle apart to replace my stock broken inner.  I have used the Camo method, but i have alwasy had a hard time getting the steering arm off anf then back on.  So know i just go all thw way through the spindle.  Doesn't really take that much longer.

uglyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 45
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 20, 2005, 09:55:34 PM »
So I took apart several birfs this weekend and it seems like every one was put together differently.  I assume that the inner star is directional...the "flat" side goes inside the birf, and the side with a "crater" machined in it points out, toward the inner axle.  Then I realized that the cages seem directional as well.  Seems like the cage is a little thicker on one side than the other.  Anybody have an idea which side goes in or out?  I didn't take the time to measure cuz it was getting dark, but I'm pretty sure this is correct
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2005, 10:03:54 PM by uglyota »