Author Topic: Odd Ford Engine  (Read 3072 times)

Dr Phat

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 305
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
Odd Ford Engine
« on: May 10, 2011, 12:09:56 PM »
Today I got a chance to work on one of the lifeboat engines on our ship. Most of them have I4 four stroke Westerbeke diesels for propulsion. However, the one I was on had a Slant 4 four stroke Ford diesel engine on it. Even my Lieutenant was shocked when we noticed it was a Ford. Anyone know anything about these guys? Never really heard anything about a 4 cylinder Ford made diesel, yet alone a slant 6...err...4.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Odd Ford Engine
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 01:11:21 PM »
probably not too uncommon..... i know it sounds wierd, but the ford rangers we have out here in afghanistan are 6 lug axles, 4 real doors, and turbo diesels
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 01:30:27 PM »
yea ford did all kinda weird stuff like the heavy half ton f150 with the 7 lug axels ever seen one of thoes?
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

Dr Phat [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 03:57:01 PM »
Yeah I knew about the 4 door rangers and 4 banger turbo diesels, I saw them down in Vera Cruz, Mexico.

Just thought this thing was odd as all hell though. Especially considering it was for a marine application and on an American flagged ship. Forgot to add it was naturally aspirated as well.

KOPCJ7guy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 05:39:26 PM »
About the 7 lug nuts, I understand the Lightning pickup has 7 lugs also.  The reason I know is our one ton passenger vans at work have 7 lug hub caps on a 8 lug wheel.  I even pulled one to check!  I ask every one I can just to get the humorous responses.  Why would Ford put a 7 lug cap on a 8 lug wheel?  Anyone want to chime in on that one?

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 05:48:15 PM »
.  Why would Ford put a 7 lug cap on a 8 lug wheel?  Anyone want to chime in on that one?

cuz there ford?
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 08:17:28 PM »
thats what it was it wasnt heavy half it was the light 3/4 tons that had 7 lugs
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 08:24:34 PM »
Most of them have I4 four stroke Westerbeke diesels for propulsion.

:ack:  I've worked on a lot of westerbeke stuff.  It's ok, but not what I'd trust for propulsion.  Then again, I worked on a lot of bombardier stuff and say they same, despite the fact that they make airplane engines too so  :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Dr Phat [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 07:03:18 AM »
The westerbekes are surprisingly rugged from my experience. We have two of them that are torn down and rebuilt I'd say about 6-8 times a week reusing gaskets and everything, along with two Detroit stroke diesels.

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 08:26:06 AM »
The westerbekes are surprisingly rugged from my experience. We have two of them that are torn down and rebuilt I'd say about 6-8 times a week reusing gaskets and everything, along with two Detroit stroke diesels.
Two engines that are rebuilt 6 to 8 times a week? When do they have time to run? What am I missing here?  :headscratch:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 08:33:30 AM »
Two engines that are rebuilt 6 to 8 times a week? When do they have time to run? What am I missing here?  :headscratch:

I was wondering the same thing. Im guessing its a typo as i couldnt see anything being rugged if they have to be rebuilt 6-8 times a week lol.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 08:36:12 AM »
the ford truck woth 7 actual lugnuts on the wheel, and 7 holed rims was the ford 7700
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2011, 09:01:31 AM »
the ford truck woth 7 actual lugnuts on the wheel, and 7 holed rims was the ford 7700

thats not the only one i had a f25 come into th shop and it had 7 stud axels and 7 hole wheels

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2011, 09:02:19 AM »
thats not the only one i had a f25 come into th shop and it had 7 stud axels and 7 hole wheels

the 7700 is the code for the light duty F250
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 09:08:53 AM »
:smack: :outtahere:

Dr Phat [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 10:55:37 AM »
Sorry should clarify that, haha. I got to MA Maritime Academy, and one of the classes we have to take is internal combustion engines. So we have a lab that has the same engines as the lifeboat engines that we learn how to work on, disassemble, then reassemble and start. Im sure if we actually tried to use them to power something now they might not last to long or have other problems, but they always start right up when we reassemble them...correctly.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 10:35:27 PM »
On that note, the engine end is as dependable as what it came from, like the generators I used to run had mazda engines that were basically tanks.  The systems that failed were those designed by westerbeke, typically from being under-engineered.  What was worse was when I'd talk face to face with the engineers and service rep, bounce a persistent problem off them and have them give me a bs line about what they did to rectify it, knowing full well it still happened on the models they said had the fix.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Dr Phat [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2011, 04:16:22 AM »
Haha, Im sure you have much more experience than me.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2011, 08:39:57 PM »
Maybe, I think I worked on them for 7 or 8 years  :headscratch:
RIP KYOTA