Author Topic: Would you ever buy a Toyota with a Ford Engine?  (Read 2940 times)

Tacos4life

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Would you ever buy a Toyota with a Ford Engine?
« on: May 04, 2006, 08:38:49 PM »
I wheeled with a guy this last weekend who had an 85 4runner that he swapped in a Ford 302 v8 engine. He had a jeep dana 20 transfer case and a rear dana 60! He said he was thinking about selling it and I got curious would anyone ever buy a Toyota with a ford engine in it?
I went and checked it out and here are more specs on the vehicle. Ford 302 V8 he said when he got it out of a mustang it had around 90,000 miles on it he then overhauled the whole bottom end and so it has new rings and everything. Since then he has put less than 1000 miles on it. He is running a C4 automatic transmission with a jeep Dana 20 transfer case. The downsides because of the bigger engine he is running duel electric fans but the fans are a little small so they only cover 80%, the suggestion would be to get bigger fans or replace the radiator. He got a custom rear driveline and now needs a front one. The only other downside is the brakes are WEAK and the rear window doesn’t roll up. Other than that this is by far the cleanest rig I have every seen! I couldn't find a spot of rust on this thing, the interior is immaculate, and it has only been offroad twice only through simple trails! Does anyone have any suggestions on brake upgrades that they would use

rick80

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
ford 302 and a c6 are bullet proof machinery

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
Yep, pretty solid set-up in there.
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

Tacos4life [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Has anyone done this conversion? And know of its reliability/trail worthiness? Obviously a Ford has a lot more issues than a toyota but is it worth the power?

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Cross poster, Cross poster!  I seen this on another board!  Don't make me hunt you down...!!!!!!!! :gap:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Wait, what's the question? Would I buy a Toyota with a Ford engine? Oh, hell no! Blasphemous, I tell ya! Toyota and Ford should not even be in the same sentence together! (oops!) Ahhhhh.......feeling better....cooling off.....So, to answer the question, yes, I would buy a Ford with a Toyota engine.  :beerchug:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Quote from: Subject Title

Would you ever buy a Toyota with a Ford Engine?

I wouldn't buy a Ford with a Ford engine.

....sorry FFC :rofl:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
the 302 is something like 100lbs lighter than a small block chevy, and just a tad heavier than the 4.3 V6.  if the engine is in good running shape, i wouldn't see any reason why it wouldn't be a good find.

my experience with fords is the electrical systems and interiors always seem to fall apart, but i've had nothing but good luck with their engines.

cheap sunglasses

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 59
  • Male Posts: 256
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Soon to be shorter and slower :)
    • View Profile
my experience with fords is the electrical systems and interiors always seem to fall apart,
you can say that again
but i've had nothing but good luck with their engines.
I think thats a lot more hit-or-miss. My buddys bronco seems to break down every other week, but his dads company truck has 600,000 miles on it and going strong.
'82 on 35's, not much else.

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
if i end up getting a 4x4 runner at some point, and my current truck is still around, im going to take out the body lift, run a hair smaller tires and swap in a 302
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
I think thats a lot more hit-or-miss. My buddys bronco seems to break down every other week, but his dads company truck has 600,000 miles on it and going strong.
true, you'll get that with a factory engine from any domestic manufacturer.  but if you build it right yourself and double check everything, you can make just about any engine reliable.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
the 302 is something like 100lbs lighter than a small block chevy, and just a tad heavier than the 4.3 V6.  if the engine is in good running shape, i wouldn't see any reason why it wouldn't be a good find.

my experience with fords is the electrical systems and interiors always seem to fall apart, but i've had nothing but good luck with their engines.

My thoughts exactly, and I've been saying this for a while.  Everybody jumps all over chevy v8s for conversions, despite the ford being lighter and plenty powerful and reliable for a toyota application.  No reason why this shouldn't be a good combo.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Brandon already did this with his rig, hopefully he'll chime in on here.  I'm pretty sure he'd tell you to go for it, but I :dunno:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent