Author Topic: Aussie Locker and FJ60 rotor/caliper swap update  (Read 3220 times)

lowgeared

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 556
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
Aussie Locker and FJ60 rotor/caliper swap update
« on: Jan 02, 2005, 06:08:20 AM »
Rear axle....The only problem I have ran into on the rear getting everything apart was one of the pins that go to the brake lever was stuck into place and I couldn't get it out, so I had to disconnect the e brake cable at the lever near the center of the housing to get the axle out enough to pull the third.  Upon third member disassembly, I found all the bearings to be in good condition.  Getting the carrier apart was easy and I was able to reuse the thrust washers on the inside.  Getting the locker into the carrier was a pain.  It is "overbuilt"in size according to the directions compared to other comparable lockers.  Getting it into the third required tapping the halves with a hammer.  The little pins and springs were a pain like usual.  They use very tight tolerances on these and once they are in, they're in.  Finished assembling the carrier by installing cross shaft and retaining pin and staked it into place, and reinstalled the ring gear and re torqued to spec.  Bent all the keeper tabs into place....then it was dinner time.  I will finish today prior to the Seahawks game and give another update on driveability.  I may leave it down for a few days as I have another to install into the front as well as swapping all new bearings, seals, and FJ-60 vented rotors, hubs, and 4 piston calipers.  I'm driving the pu while the 4runner is down and love the good snow we have and my dual cases, welded front and rear and BFG mud 35s.  More later.
Friends help you move.  Real friends help you move bodies.

lowgeared [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
Rear axle is done.  Couldn't get the locker to engage or disengage as per the instructions.  Did the only pimp thing I could think of and drove it around the block anyway.  Appears to lock and unlock fine.  Came back to the shop and jacked it up again and locker teeth clicked like they should.  I sure notice the lash the rear end has now.  It will take me a while to get used to that.  Everthing else I have either has a spool or is welded-zero lash just the way I like it.  Anyway, it's almost game time so it's time to head home.  I got the front end up now, wheels/tires off and the oil draining.  I will either start on this later this evening or work on it a little each night after work.  Damn, one trip around the block and I'm already feeling apprehensive.  Hope this is all worth it.   :crossed:

jr9162

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 512
  • Member since Sep '04
  • No nookie like Chinookie no butts like Halibuts
    • View Profile
Are these the LOKKA units? What price and where did you get them from?

Let us know how they turn out....
I'm a member of P.E.T.A.
People Eating Tasty Animals
There's no nookie like chinookie
No butts like halibuts
Fish are not our friends, they're food.
Eat more moose - 10,000 wolves can't be wrong

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist".

Benny

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Are these the LOKKA units? What price and where did you get them from?

Let us know how they turn out....

www.offroadlockers.com

Good units for a good price.

lowgeared [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
That's where I got em.  Offroadlockers.com

lowgeared [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
The FJ-60 swap is complete.  It is a 100% bolt on.  I decided to throw a welded third I had in the front and save that open third and the other locker for the pickup IF I end up liking this.  So far so good but I really like the positive traction being welded offers.  I notice this locker jumps around a bit on icy roads.  Any questions, let me know!!