Author Topic: 1st gen truck windshield removal ?  (Read 4787 times)

crazykooter

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
1st gen truck windshield removal ?
« on: Sep 20, 2010, 07:49:30 AM »
I removed the windshield from this 79 I have since it had rust under the seal.  It was an aftermarket seal and windshield and there wasnt a break in the seal.  I tried to remove it carefully as I could but I ended up cracking it.   I plan on putting the windshield from my 82 in it but I want to make sure I dont crack this one.  The 82 has the original seal and windshield and the seal has the split in it.  I am assuming if I am careful enough I can remove the seal without harming the windshield.  I have never removed and replaced a windshield on one of these trucks so any help/tips would be great.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: 1st gen truck windshield removal ?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 20, 2010, 07:56:01 AM »
i'm not going to say it cant be done but the chances of you (or anyone) getting an original windshield out without busting it is like 98-2
98% chance its gonna crack
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

crazykooter [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -369
  • Male Posts: 1,418
  • Member since Apr '09
  • Located in Byron, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2010, 08:01:40 AM »
Ya I was figuring something like that.  The seal I dont care about since I have this other seal from the 79.  Maybe if I use a hot knife and cut the seal apart to save the windshield.  Then I would atleast save the most costly part.  Plus I really want to keep this original windshield as I am somewhat restoring this 79.  It has the teq in the lower left corner.   

Monster Yota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 227
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Under my Welding Hood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 20, 2010, 10:18:16 AM »
All I got to say is good luck,,, I have tried this before,, (not on a yota) we did successfully  remove and reinstall the windshield in a 80s chebby pickup but it was a royal pita....  The biggest pain i guess was removing,,, then reinstalling all the stainless strips on the windshield and getting them to line up and clip together correctly without damaging them,,, Next time I would almost rather pay someone to do it,,,, haha  :gap:
MARLIN 4 PRESIDENT!

-Jake-

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 538
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 20, 2010, 10:34:30 AM »
park it towards the sun and get it warmed up.  I've never successfully removed one...
81 Hilux, E-Lockers, 5.29s, Duals, 30 spline Longfields, 8274 Warn, 40" Iroks, F150s and RUF

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 20, 2010, 11:34:21 AM »
i'm not going to say it cant be done but the chances of you (or anyone) getting an original windshield out without busting it is like 98-2
98% chance its gonna crack

I never pulled a windshield in my life, pulled the original one out of my 81, no probs, no cracks. Easy as pie. Cut seal all araound with razor blade, pulled out pieces with screwdriver, then tapped it with flat o my hand all the way around, it eventually came out. Dunno, maybe here in cali they come out easy. I got the windshield still if u need one
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

gmack192

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 332
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 20, 2010, 11:40:22 AM »
Cut the old gasket all the way around the windshield. then slowly push the windshield out. You will need someones help to hold the glass. Get a new gasket, they're not that expensive. Clean the edge of the windshield real good and put the gasket on the windshield. Get a thin piece of nylon cord, wrap it around the groove ( inside of the gasket ) center the windshield, have someone push the windshield in place as you pull the cord from the inside. Start in the center and work your way around, while your helper pushes the glass in. Hope this helps..

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 20, 2010, 02:09:11 PM »
The only sure-fire way to do it is to get the smallest *wound* piano or guitar string that you can find.  Wrap it around two wood 1x4s  and wear gloves so as to not slice your hands.

1: Wrap the end with the peg around the piece of wood.  Get the end that normally goes in the winder peg - that is a thin bare wire - put that through the gasket.  pull it through and get it wrapped around the other piece of wood.

2: The rest is a careful back and forth sawing motion with TWO people - one on each side.  The tricky part, though, isn't the removal, but the cleaning the old junk off if you want to re-use it. To do that, you need to put it down somewhere.  It'll crack almost any way that you set it down, so you'll also need a curved surface or some sort to put it down on that you've set up/prepared.  An old couch with pillows and blankets can work in a pinch. 

It's a two man job for sure.

gmack192

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 332
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2010, 11:03:22 PM »
I had my windshield out for 6 months....ya just have to be careful when you move it. I sat mine on a thick quilt while cleaning off the old gasket and installing the new one.

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2010, 07:00:47 PM »
I must have real good luck or sumthin, cause i set mine down on my workbench with it sitting on angled ends of shield. I pulled it by myself also, just the way I said I did, with a razor blade, and tapping it out with my hand. It definitely is a pain in the ass cleaning all the old sealant off. That took easily twice as long as pulling it out. As far as installing one, I havent done that yet. Was talkin with my bud who broke his windhield, and I guess a shop got him a window for his 91 runner, removed old one, and installed new one for 190 bucks, so honestly, id go that route, way worth it IMO.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

DFWFO

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 163
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 22, 2010, 08:49:43 PM »
I have removed and installed about 30 windshields and its not that hard to do without cracking as long as you have the right tools. You need to grind some piece of metal wide to a fine razor finish then bend  it to a 90*, fix it to to a screw driver or a stout handle and drill a hole or tack a weld just above the razor so you can pull it with a makeshift hook, and thats where you break through the polyurethane bead. Heat can help tremendously. At no point should any force be put on the glass. I have used a pneumatic air hammer with a thin paint scraper attached  to it, but that has to be done with extreme caution but highly effective.

Now for install, make sure your surface is clean, you must remove all the previous polyurethane, its a pregnant dog but just keep scraping at it. Clean ALL the area that the new urethane will be touching, very important, use contact cleaner or brake cleaner and wipe it good. Now a cordless caulk gun is the absolute best way to put a clean bead down but they are hard to find one laying around, so if you are doing it manually, practice. You can buy polyurethane at a auto parts store.

After the windshield is in place tape strips long ways to avoid the windshield from sliding down, takes a solid 2 days for it to dry. DO NOT SHUT THE DOORS WITH THE WINDOWS UP! You will blow the bead out. Place tape over the window or open the rear window if applicable.

I hope any of this was helpful, and if you break it, call around to shops to see if you can get a good deal, chinese windows are cheap, but they are cheap. Good luck :biggthumpup: 

All Im lacking is a flux capacitor and the ability to hit 88.

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 23, 2010, 01:47:35 AM »
I payed a windshield placearound $150 this included the new windshield.  Much easier this way.  This must have been real cheap cause they have since gone out of business.   :down:

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 23, 2010, 09:12:33 AM »
yeah I spent the extra $100 on the factory glass and never regretted it.   Some things you don't buy aftermarket in my book.