Author Topic: Wierd Temp. problems with my 22RE  (Read 3737 times)

Confederate13

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 28
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
Wierd Temp. problems with my 22RE
« on: Dec 22, 2009, 04:19:17 PM »
        I recently bought a 22RE with a rod knock  and put a new crank and bearing in it. I have it timed correctly and it runs smooth and responds well.  But I am having some weird temperature problems. The  tempurature guage in the cab only comes up ¼  of the way. (on all  other  toyota trucks I have owned they have come up half way.)  When I got back from the test drive I also noticed that my exaust manifold was slightly glowing, which is way to hot.
        The next thing I did was check the codes and it reads a code twelve.  Which tells me to check for a open in the NE Circuit. Distributor. Open or short in the STA circuit. And EMC.
I don’t really know where to go from here, or what is causeing my problem? Does anyone have any solutions?
THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Wierd Temp. problems with my 22RE
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2009, 05:40:10 PM »
glowing manifold usually = plugged cat. start there.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2009, 05:55:18 PM »
cam timing is advanced,  put it back stock
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Confederate13 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2009, 09:11:16 PM »
I fixed that timing problem, and am possitive that it is right on now. the valves were ajusted correctly. I know its not a timing problem.

Will I still have sufficient back pressure if I knock out the inside of my cat?  the rest of the pipe is stock.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2009, 10:00:50 PM »
Back pressure  :rofl2:  Trust me, that pathetically small stock exhaust will choke up your engine plenty.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

1997whitefozo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 15
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2009, 10:11:09 PM »
Ditto on the clogged cat. Mine did the same thing.
1997 CTD 487hp 1190tq
1990 bobbed 63's locked 4.7's
-Tyler

Confederate13 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2009, 02:45:41 PM »
I pulled off the cat today and it doesn't look clogged. I can see through the honnycomb stuff fine. and air passes fine when you blow into it.  so now I am stumped again to what my problem is.  the wierdest part is how good that it is running, it runs as if there is no problem at all. any other ideas?

Confederate13 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2009, 03:05:20 PM »
79coyote when you say cam timing do you mean that the timing chain mark is off a tooth on the camshaft sprocket or that my distributor is stabbed on the wrong tooth?

Confederate13 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 25, 2009, 10:04:17 PM »
is there a senser or something I can adjust to richin it or something?

Confederate13 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:11:25 PM »
anyone?  :dunno:

tpeterson20

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:43:26 PM »
ive had issues before with the temp gauge not reading right because the coolant temp sensor had a bunch of corrosion on it. check to see if its got corrosion built up on it. as for the glowing manifold  :inthedark: sounds like a lean condition or an exhaust restriction. did you check your muffler also? hope this helps

Confederate13 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2009, 03:04:01 PM »
a quick update. I took out the spark plugs to see if they were tainted white and I found that they arent, it looks like it is either running rich or not fully combusting. I triple checked the timing chain and sproket marks, distributer position and everything and I am 100% positive it is not a timing problem. the Cat is clean and clear. It has a brand new air filter.
     I will check the rest of the exaust, thanks for that add. could it be anything else?
It runs so good I dont understand what could be so off to make it get that hot?

jmac

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2010, 08:31:08 AM »
I got money on catalytic converter is breaking up and clogged up in the muffler, as mentioned above.  Pull off the catalytic converter and bust out the remaining honeycomb if it is (I'm not sure your supposed to be able to see through these as you mentioned, this would indicate it's failure).  If you got a big enough air compressor blow out the exhaust behind the cat converter and watch to see if crap comes flying out or if you hear some stuff banging around in muffler.  Stick a rag in there with the air hose to completely occlude the pipe on the front end.

Also open the garage door so you don't put a dent in you door like i've done when the crap comes shooting out.

funrunner87

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2010, 08:15:22 AM »
I got money on catalytic converter is breaking up and clogged up in the muffler, as mentioned above.  Pull off the catalytic converter and bust out the remaining honeycomb if it is (I'm not sure your supposed to be able to see through these as you mentioned, this would indicate it's failure).  If you got a big enough air compressor blow out the exhaust behind the cat converter and watch to see if crap comes flying out or if you hear some stuff banging around in muffler.  Stick a rag in there with the air hose to completely occlude the pipe on the front end.

Also open the garage door so you don't put a dent in you door like i've done when the crap comes shooting out.

dont do that,  you should be able to see threw the cat. that is normal, its will look like a grid patters, little bittle squares, 

if you do bust out the cat and you are cought.... be ready for the rapping of a life time from the gov.