Author Topic: Tcase Problem  (Read 1476 times)

86turboyota

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Tcase Problem
« on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:33:33 AM »
86 4runner w56 5spd, dual cases with a marlin adapter and 23 spline 4.7 gears in the rear case, front case is topshift, rear case was converted to topshift.   

The problem is that when the hubs are unlocked and i try to move the rear case into 4wd while moving the gears grind and it wont go in.  If i lock the hubs it will slide into 4wd at speed with no problems.  I know this doesnt seem like a big issue, but im worried that this is the start of a bigger problem.  It never used to grind or have any problems going into 4wd with or without the hubs locked.
Thanks,
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Re: Tcase Problem
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:58:06 AM »
First of all, what is "at speed" mean? 

With hubs locked in and your moving, the front and rear d-lines are rotating at the same speed.  When hubs aren't locked in, the front d-line isn't rotating at all.  So, you are trying to engage a rotating force into a gear that isn't rotating.  Hence the gears not engaging.  You really aren't supposed to engage or disengage the gears while moving.  You can to a small degree, but gear'd t-cases don't like it.  4WD gears do have synchro's, not sure about 4LO.

But if you had a chain drive you can engage 4wd in at 60mph.  That is the one thing I miss about having a chain drive T-case, but they are weaker because of it.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

86turboyota [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,079
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2009, 11:08:05 AM »
First of all, what is "at speed" mean? 

With hubs locked in and your moving, the front and rear d-lines are rotating at the same speed.  When hubs aren't locked in, the front d-line isn't rotating at all.  So, you are trying to engage a rotating force into a gear that isn't rotating.  Hence the gears not engaging.  You really aren't supposed to engage or disengage the gears while moving.  You can to a small degree, but gear'd t-cases don't like it.  4WD gears do have synchro's, not sure about 4LO.

But if you had a chain drive you can engage 4wd in at 60mph.  That is the one thing I miss about having a chain drive T-case, but they are weaker because of it.
By at speed i mean 10-20mph, although with the hubs locked i have engaged and disengaged the 4wd at 40+ without problems.  I get what you are saying about being the driveshaft not turning without the hubs locked, but this never used to be an issue, which leads me to believe something inside the case has changed.
My Build 1986 4runner SAS 36s etc
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22625.0

"Later, I learned that even though I engage 4WD my hubs are not automatically locking? Something about manual locking hubs I think. What's manual mean? I need to read a manual to lock them? lol  So I found these neat autolocking hubs and installed them. Sometimes they dont stay locked while I am backing up, but that's fine because I dont have a backup camera to see where Im going (like our RV) so I just simply dont ever back up"- BigMike

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2009, 11:50:27 AM »
By at speed i mean 10-20mph, although with the hubs locked i have engaged and disengaged the 4wd at 40+ without problems.  I get what you are saying about being the driveshaft not turning without the hubs locked, but this never used to be an issue, which leads me to believe something inside the case has changed.
sounds to me like its working properly now because the tcase when trying to shift into 4wd hi SHOULD grind when the hubs are unlocked thats why your NOT supposed to shift into 4wd when moving
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

MC387

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2009, 12:37:33 PM »
Do not shift into 4wd when you are moving and the hubs are unlocked.  It is normal for it to grind.  There is no reason that you can not shift into and out of 4wd while moving if the hubs are locked.  As long as you are not spining the rear wheels.