Author Topic: Recommendations please  (Read 6135 times)

jarboarder1

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 212
  • Member since Oct '07
  • Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
Recommendations please
« on: Jun 10, 2009, 04:43:42 PM »
Hey Hows it goin,
So here is the deal. Currently I am daily driving my 99 4runner and the wheelin my 91 p/u. I drive the 91 everywhere when I go wheelin and sometimes just for fun. This summer I plan on wheelin a lot harder trails and would like to start trailering it since it will probably be off the road within a couple years anyways.

I am looking into some trucks and a trailer currently and was wondering what you might recommend,
I would be selling my 4runner for about 9-10 grand, and would like to keep the cost of everything a little over that.

Pics welcome
Thanks for any help

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: Jun 10, 2009, 08:25:23 PM »
Out of curiosity, how far will you be towing and through what areas?  If it's easier towing your choices will open up more, but if there's a lot of steep or long hills then you'll obviously have less choices.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Jun 10, 2009, 08:48:15 PM »
i'd recommend a 3/4 or 1 ton for towing a vehicle if your gonna be going through any mountains.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Male Posts: 1,241
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2009, 10:21:48 PM »
Out of curiosity, how far will you be towing and through what areas?  If it's easier towing your choices will open up more, but if there's a lot of steep or long hills then you'll obviously have less choices.

He lives in boulder, colorado and to get to most trails it requires driving over a pass in the rockies
Colorado...its where the cool kids live

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 10, 2009, 10:24:18 PM »
there was an 03 duramax in colorado springs for 13k if you were think about a diesel.

Avoid a ford with the 6.0, dodge 24 valve 5.9 cummins are solid, but the auto tranny is not, 7.3L fords will run quite long also but avoid the auto again. let me know if you have any questions about diesels

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 11, 2009, 09:32:28 AM »
Get a older dodge with a cummins and a manual. You could pick up a early 90's cummins with a nv4500 for around 4-6k. And pick up a mid 90's 12valve cummins with the nv4500 for 6-10k.
My dad bought a 2001 dodge 3500 2wd single cab dually with a 24v cummins and nv5600 6 spd for 8k with only 134,000 miles on it. Even though my 06 dodge cummins has more power because of the manual in his 2001 it feels like it has a ton more than mine. :twocents:

83yota

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Member since Mar '04
  • rollin my nike's
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Jun 11, 2009, 05:54:16 PM »
cummins is the "best" way to go. the reason is purchase price but also upkeep price. dont let people talk you out of the autos. the problem with dodge trannys is that the tc was built for a 5.9 GAS engine. if you are nice to your truck it will hold up just fine. now if you plan on doing upgrades get ahold of durite, bd, suncoast. they seem to be the best and have GREAT customer service. i REALLY like BD they are located in bc canada. good bunch of guys there. a tranny cooler is a must (larger than stock). you can find ANY part for a dodge. if you are wanting to run bio try to stay away from the 24v cr cummins (2004.5 and newer) they have had problems with bio. also another thing for the tranny is a mag-hi-tech pan (double deep) with an exteranl filter. if you do those things to the tranny you wont hurt it. if you get a 4x4 (it is sugested for where you live) that is 94,95 dodge they had an actuating cylinder on the ft axle that was known for the seals leaking and allowing fluid in runing the actuator (they do build kits to fix it) another thing if you get a diesel get gauges EGT (pyro), boost pressure, and either a low press light or gauge for the fuel. if you cant tell i AM a BIG cummins guy. if you need any more help just ask. the 6.2 and 6.5 from detroit were ok engines they were slow and maintiance WHORES. the power strokes are cool (7.3 only) the 6.9 and 7.3 na (not considered power strokes) were ok but also slow, the duramax is SWEET but leave it stock once you start messing with a max its tuff to stop due to the fact that everything works so well together. and if you get a diesel do intake and exhaust (keeps the egts down, sounds better and it will run better) also IN MY OPINION stay away from 08 and newer (yes i know the price range but just FYI) they have a dpf system (manidated by the epa) on them that hurt fuel mileage and power sorry so long once i get started on diesels its hard to stop
85 toyta 4runner Soon to be full widths... i hope http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62935.0

90 toyota runner Very sadly gone
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75563.60

jarboarder1 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 212
  • Member since Oct '07
  • Rocky Mountains
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 12, 2009, 12:00:27 PM »
Alright thanks for all the input. I had pretty much narrowed it down to a Cummins or a Duramax, but I just wasn't sure if I should go with a deisel since I'm daily driving it. Either way it will be 4 wheel drive. Also a dually is out of the question. I also would like to have room in the cab for pasengers and my dog. 

What are the main differences between the duramax and the cummins? Also where is one better than the other?

I have no problem doing more research on my own, so if you have any links on some truck info go ahead and post them up.

Also what do you guys recomend for trailer setups? I would love to go goose neck but what do you guys think about trailer size and what not?

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 12, 2009, 09:14:45 PM »
Alright thanks for all the input. I had pretty much narrowed it down to a Cummins or a Duramax, but I just wasn't sure if I should go with a deisel since I'm daily driving it. Either way it will be 4 wheel drive. Also a dually is out of the question. I also would like to have room in the cab for pasengers and my dog. 

What are the main differences between the duramax and the cummins? Also where is one better than the other?

The cummins is a 5.9L and has mechanical injectors and will be a bit loud compared to the duramax. Early 6.6L durmax engines had large problems with the injector seats cracking causing diesel fuel leak into the crankcase and oil. Cummins tend to develop front and rear main engine leaks and can get pretty bad. There are thousands of cummins with manuals (which i see as superrior to an auto because of heat and thermal problems with clutches when towing), while very very (as in if you find one, keep it) duramax's came with manuals, although the allison is a very stout transmission that finds its roots in greyhound and school bus transmissions. Thee duramax has always gotten the best mileage in its class and that will never change, 16-18 towing 22-24 not towing (ford and dodge can not come close)

I have no problem doing more research on my own, so if you have any links on some truck info go ahead and post them up.

http://www.duramaxforum.com/
http://www.cumminsforum.com/
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/     ---just so you can read about 6.0L problems and gripes :rofl2:

Also what do you guys recomend for trailer setups? I would love to go goose neck but what do you guys think about trailer size and what not?

I would not go with more than you need. Yeah that 30 ft gooseneck might look cool but it is wasted weight and more length to deal with unless you want to have that look :gap:. I would go with an 18 foot dual axle trailer... throw a good break controler in and you are good to go. Oh and I would go with a pintle hook style hitch, my personal preference i guess

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 12, 2009, 09:33:58 PM »
http://www.dieseltraderonline.com/

select the make, make sure to scroll past the featured ones when you list them by price... wish i had some cash right now lol

83yota

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 372
  • Member since Mar '04
  • rollin my nike's
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Jun 13, 2009, 09:06:53 AM »
cummins are gonig to be cheaper just due to ho long they have been around. the max is a great engine just stay away for 00 and early 01 due to the head bolts had issues holding the head from warping
85 toyta 4runner Soon to be full widths... i hope http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=62935.0

90 toyota runner Very sadly gone
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=75563.60

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #11 on: Jun 13, 2009, 06:29:24 PM »
too bad you dont live closer my sister is selling her 88 ford f250 with a 460 V8 and 5spd.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 13, 2009, 08:06:50 PM »
duramax equipped trucks are usually quite a bit more exspensive than a similar equipped cummins trucks

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #13 on: Jun 13, 2009, 10:16:30 PM »
I want the Ford axles, body & frame,

the Allison transmission (GM)

and the Cummins engine (Dodge)...........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

COToy91

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since May '07
  • Rollin on 37's
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 13, 2009, 10:21:00 PM »
I want the Ford axles, body & frame,

the Allison transmission (GM)

and the Cummins engine (Dodge)...........

cummins and allison are the same company and all the axles (minus a few) are made by dana

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #15 on: Jun 14, 2009, 12:09:39 PM »
cummins and allison the same company? where did you hear that? gm owns allison and they only make transmissions, they have no relation to cummins. they can be bolted to a cummins motor with the correct bellhousing but other than aftermarket for the light duty trucks (up to 1 ton) you will not find those bellhousings. medium/heavy duty they do exist from the factory.

dana does make most of the axles but gm uses the aam brand axles, has been for decades.

gm 6.2 and 6.5 diesel motors, agreed on them being slow (i currently own a 6.5L turbodiesel yukon) but maintenance whores definatly not when 2 issues are fixed that dont cost much to do. 1. get the pmd (pump mounted driver) out of the engine bay and mount it somewhere that it can stay cool, for example in the front bumper. 2. cooling upgrade on the 93-97 models, dual t-stat and the higher flowing water pump that the 98+ models had. doing those 2 simple things just eliminated almost every problem these motors had and what gave them such a bad reputation. with speed, similar (in stock form) to a cummins/7.3L powerstroke of the era, modified though it does fall behind. its 21:1 compression ratio and the lack of nickel in the block casting (low content) limit it severely, but you can get 830ft/lbs of torque with mods but requires more than a 7.3 or cummins.

injectors on 2000-02 d-max trucks are going to be out of warranty here pretty soon and are expensive to have a shop do because the injector is buried in the head, whereas on the newer models they relocated them and fixed the problem. heads warping though, in stock-medium modied form (below 1300ft/lbs of torque), is news to most duramax motors. the 03-05 models had a overheating issue with some of them and they blew some head gaskets, but unless the motor was overheated horribly or you were cranking out over 1300ft/lbs of torque without head studs there hasnt been a case of a warped head on that motor.

with the cost of the trucks all depends on where you look. i was hoping to pick up a 02 gmc cclb dually fully loaded for 11,500 in Texas that was in excellent shape. up here in utah i'm finding diesels from all 3 (similar years and options) for similar prices.

USAF EOD tech

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 14, 2009, 12:39:45 PM »
cummins and allison are the same company and all the axles (minus a few) are made by dana

gm and dodge axles are made by american axle manufacturing. unless its the 2002 and older dodge's which were made bt dana and 1999 and older gm's which i think were still made by aam

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: Jun 19, 2009, 10:14:16 PM »
correct on the axles, your statement about cummins and allison being the same company is incorrect though. gm was using aam axles since 1973 in the trucks/suv's, when the 12 bolt and 10.5" 14 bolt ff started being used. in 1980-81 the 10 bolt front and rear axle started its production (excluding cars because i dont know when gm started using aam axles in the cars) and the 9.5" 14 bolt sf appeared around 1984 in the 3/4 ton trucks and the "heavy half ton" trucks, only rear axle offered as both a 6 and 8 lug variant. in 2000 when gm switched body styles and introduced the duramax and the 8.1L vortec motors the 11.5" 14 bolt ff was introduced.

for front axles the dana 60 was used until 92 in the 1 ton application, when the body was switched. you will find 1 tons in both the 73-91 and the 88-2000 body style trucks, the 73-91 version was solid axle front and rear whereas the 88-2000 models were IFS and solid rear. odd that gm offered both body styles for 3 years but both were available.

USAF EOD tech

thegoofster21

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,644
  • Member since Mar '08
  • HIT IT HARD!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 21, 2009, 12:37:08 PM »
Get a older dodge with a cummins and a manual. You could pick up a early 90's cummins with a nv4500 for around 4-6k. And pick up a mid 90's 12valve cummins with the nv4500 for 6-10k.

X2
Any guy who takes his woman wheeling enjoys her. A woman who is owned is left at home to cook, clean, and keep beer cold. So if this offends you you should stop looking and go have some tacos.    :rofl2: And a beer. If your old enough.   :beerchug:   :beer:

04 Tacoma 33s http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61454.0
jmoffroad.com

Matty

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -18
  • Male Posts: 875
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jun 21, 2009, 04:34:25 PM »
im just gonna throw my opinion out there and say you should get a crewcab long bed duramax with a 30ft gooseneck trailer   :shocking:

then we can throw all three trucks behind it!  :yupyup:

newmexicocrawler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 01, 2009, 07:47:45 AM »
 Get a 99-03 powerstroke with the 7.3 if you can find one in good shape that someone is willing to part with....Heath.