Author Topic: 22re power loss  (Read 10766 times)

91xcab

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 48
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
22re power loss
« on: Mar 13, 2009, 08:46:51 AM »
Well sorry but this is going to be a long post so I can try to describe what is going on with my truck. First off it is a 1991 pickup with 204,000 miles on a bone stock 22re. Just recently it has started to run like crap, but only at random times. Somewhere between 1500 and 2000 rpm it has developed a miss every now and then when driving, and has no power accelerating until it reaches 3200 rpm or so then the power kicks in like a rocket booster. It happens at completely random times sometimes in just one or two gears sometimes in all gears. It will run great for a few days then run like crap for a day, hour, or just a few minutes. It does not make a difference if the engine is cold or warm either. I have tried testing the tps, but not sure if the test procedure in my Haynes manual (I do not really like these manuals) is correct or not because I could not get any reading from the sensor.  The truck has a brand new fuel tank, sending unit, fuel pump, and fuel lines, I still have not replaced the fuel filter. I just did a tune up (cap, rotor, plugs, wires) last summer when I swapped out the auto trans and put the new fuel system in. I am thinking my problem might be fuel related but why wouldn't it run bad all the time then? I am just trying to narrow down the possibilities so I don't have to start trowing parts at it. I have read all the posts I could find about people with similar problems but I couldn't find any where the problems were actually fixed, so if this has happened to your truck if you could please let me know how you fixed it I would really appreciate it.
1991 Toyota Extra Cab
  22RE
  3 in body lift - soon to be removed
  4 in Procomp IFS lift - until parts and $$$ are collected for SAS
  33" Mud Kings
  Auto to 5 speed swap COMPLETE w/ Marlin 1200lb clutch

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
Re: 22re power loss
« Reply #1 on: Mar 13, 2009, 09:20:22 AM »
Well, it's likely something else, but there's no reason not to change the fuel filter. I don't think it would produce quite the symptoms you're talking about, but still. It's seriously cheap & easy to replace.
Zach
I like Yotatech

91xcab [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 13, 2009, 10:12:20 AM »
I agree I do not think it is the fuel filter and I will change it when spring comes and I have a little extra cash, I also want to get a spare set of new injectors or get a used set tested and balanced. I am just looking for some good suggestions to try and figure this out on my spare time. I know the fuel filter is cheap and easy to change but I want to figure this out first. This truck is my daily driver but if things get too bad I will just put tires on my 95 Dodge Dakota and drive that. Keep throwing out the ideas though, it gives me things to think about.
1991 Toyota Extra Cab
  22RE
  33" Mud Kings

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2009, 12:42:33 PM »
By cheap I mean you can probably get two for under $10...
When mine went out, I was on the highway, and it felt like I was hitting the brakes, off and on. Then it slowly got worse, felt like I was laying on the brakes, and if I gave it more gas, it would actually start bucking. If I stopped for a bit, especially if I turned it off, I could then drive for 5 minutes or so before it would start happening. It can cause some crazy stuff to happen. So, we agree, probably not it, but it is one thing that could cause this...

Since it's an RE, can't you just see what codes it's throwing? Or are you getting any warning lights when it happens? I don't know enough about fuel injection. Hopefully somebody here can help more.
Zach
I like Yotatech

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2009, 01:13:31 PM »
Things to try after you have changed the fuel filter;

Check the corners of the air throttle body to air box intake tube. You will need to remove the tube and check it for cracks in the folds.

EGR valve. Unplug the vacuum hose going to the top of the valve and plug the hose end. Test drive the truck checking for the miss.

Thermostat. The temp gauge needs to be in the center of the gauge or you could have the wrong stat. It must be 192-195 degrees.

EFI opening relay. Located in the right hand door pillar above the speaker, the contacts may be pitted and not suppling the proper volts.

Marlin
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

91xcab [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2009, 06:36:31 AM »
I checked the computer for codes but there wasn't any. I just put in a new Toyota dual stage 195 degree thermostat to fix the temperature gauge overshoot, I also put in a K&N air filter and checked for cracks or cuts in the intake tube but there wasn't any. I have not checked the egr valve but since it is going to be fairly warm this week I will do that. Is the efi opening relay the same thing as the circuit opening relay? If so I have already inspected and tested that when I had starting trouble after the transmission swap. The truck has been running great the last two days, but I know the problem will return at any time. Since I am currently not working I can't even afford a fuel filter right now ($14.99), even though they are cheap, so that will have to wait for now. I know I have read a few posts on here that were describing very similar problems but the posts ended without resolving the issue. If anyone else has experienced anything similar please post up what you did to fix it. Keep up the good ideas and suggestions. Thanks for the help everyone.
1991 Toyota Extra Cab
  22RE
  33" Mud Kings

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2009, 07:54:34 AM »
:beerchug:  fuel filter  :beerchug:         
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

toyomr285

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 227
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2009, 08:23:48 PM »
I have the same problem, I changed everything you did and the fuel filter and still have the same problem.  Yes there were few other post with a similare problem, and nobody follows up if they fixed it or not.  I have been waiting a solution for two months.  Please help.

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2009, 07:01:13 AM »
Yeah that's kinda the problem a lot of times, huh? We post if there's a problem and if it gets fixed we go along our way, and only post again if the problem didn't get fixed.
Zach
I like Yotatech

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2009, 06:07:47 PM »
I once solved this complaint on an 87 22R EFI runner.

The EFI opening relay is located above the right hand speaker to the right of the glove box.
It is a black relay with a yellow, 5 wire yellow plug.
You will need a 10mm socket to remove the 6x1.00mm bolt.

After I removed the cover, I found that a tit had formed on the contacts. Using solvent and 800-1000 grit sand paper, I carefully hand lapped the contacks and the truck ran better than ever before.

Also, it could be a worn out dragging fuel pump.

Marlin
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

91xcab [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2009, 07:30:51 AM »
Well the truck had been running pretty good for a few days then it started to run like crap yesterday, rough idle of about 500 and the same previous symptoms. I do not think it is the fuel pump because it is brand new, just put it in a few months back. I do not know when I will get around to it but I will check out that relay again sometime, I will probably change out the fuel filter at that time as well. For now since warmer weather is coming I am working on getting my bike and car ready for this year, so when they are good to go I can work on my truck. If anyone else has any other possibilities keep em coming.
1991 Toyota Extra Cab
  22RE
  33" Mud Kings

toyomr285

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 227
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 22, 2009, 09:07:33 PM »
I just found out that it is not a fuel pump problem.  If your going to do the fuel filter it won't solve the problem.  I believe it something to do with the throttle body, positioning sensor, or the injectors.  Does anyone know if the egr valve or pcv valve would create this problem?

91xcab [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 23, 2009, 05:25:23 AM »
I wasn't planning on doing a fuel filter anytime soon, I am working on getting my motorcycle and 89 Mustang GT ready for summer, then while I have my bike and car to drive I will be tearing into the truck. I have a bunch of things to do to it this summer. I am kinda thinking that my issue is something with a sensor or a wiring problem. I noticed when I changed transmissions that the wiring for my O2 sensor had all the insulation melted from the wiring for it. I am not sure if this has anything to do with my problem or not but I have to fix it before too long. I pulled the throttle body off last summer and cleaned all the carbon out of it. If it was a TPS sensor wouldn't it throw a code for that? Another thing I have been thinking about is getting codes from my computer. I was wondering if my auto ECU is not showing me any codes for some reason, I tried pulling codes by jumping TE1 and E1 terminals on the diagnostic plug, all the check engine light did was continually flash once a second until I turned the key off. I thought is was supposed to flash once every 4 seconds to show everything was normal. Maybe I will try to give it a misfire on purpose and try to pull the codes then and see what it does.
1991 Toyota Extra Cab
  22RE
  33" Mud Kings

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: Mar 23, 2009, 03:34:29 PM »
I was reading your sig   you had auto  tranny in your truck  and now you have a Manuel   I know on the Ecms they usually say A/T or M/T  I never read up on this type of  swap are there any left over wires  just hanging  with rust/mud in them   or did you swap the ecm when you did you tranny?   :dunno: 
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly