Author Topic: be a good samaritan  (Read 3133 times)

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
be a good samaritan
« on: Feb 26, 2009, 02:12:01 PM »
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: be a good samaritan
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2009, 04:47:19 PM »
Talk about sticking to the book  :shake:  Chp could ticket people for crashing, but around here they usually figure being involved in an accident is punishment enough!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2009, 05:02:13 PM »
wow, just wow.  :shake:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2009, 05:16:12 PM »
Good Samaritan? According to the article he didn't just rescue them from getting hit, he put them there in the first place. Should have never help them into the street and nobody would have got hit. We also don't know the reason they did this though but if anything he should have helped at the corner not in the middle of a block.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

brainlessfool

• Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2009, 05:26:52 PM »
Good Samaritan? According to the article he didn't just rescue them from getting hit, he put them there in the first place. Should have never help them into the street and nobody would have got hit. We also don't know the reason they did this though but if anything he should have helped at the corner not in the middle of a block.

true

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2009, 05:29:20 PM »
I guess he's not gonna get his merit badge for helping an old lady cross the street. :gap:

brainlessfool

• Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2009, 05:40:45 PM »
Mearit bage, cast, all the same.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2009, 06:43:54 PM »
I didn't see where it said he PUT them there, just that he helped them across the street. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

brainlessfool

• Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2009, 07:59:05 PM »
I didn't see where it said he PUT them there, just that he helped them across the street. 

He did'ant "put" them there. butt as a bus driver you're not to let ppl get off the buss and cross in front or in back if you can stop them from doing so. your to have them go to the corner to cross. def. not help them.
even if there old. not my  :idea: butt that's is the law.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2009, 08:06:19 PM »
Moffett had been driving his bus when the two women got off. In the interest of safety, he got out and, together with another passenger, helped the ladies cross.

Should not have even tried to get them across the street, by doing so he not only endangered himself but everyone involved. I think the stupidest thing about this is the fact that the driver of the truck was cited.

brainlessfool

• Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2009, 08:12:47 PM »
Should not have even tried to get them across the street, by doing so he not only endangered himself but everyone involved. I think the stupidest thing about this is the fact that the driver of the truck was cited.

yeah, you're not to get out of your buss and leave ppl on it. ever. true dat.

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 27, 2009, 08:37:23 PM »
Kinda funny how the media twists the truth to get a certain response huh.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

brainlessfool

• Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2009, 09:34:22 PM »
Kinda funny how the media twists the truth to get a certain response huh.
yup, frist read makes ya go wow. after thinking about it he was not doing his job right. here a few years ago a greyhound buss ran off the road (101) and just missed a brige piller and a bunch of K-rails. meida was saying "what a hero for missing all the stuff" more or less. the reson he left the road was a drunk lost control of his car coming onto the highway and spun out in front of the buss. driver paniced and jerked the wheel. by shear luck he did not hit anything. and no one was hert at all. about 5 ppl on the buss at the time. butt if it had been full and he had hit the piller (it was in the center divder and a buss just don't manever in drit at speed) head on there could have been meany killed.  if I had benn driving I would have tryed to move a bit out of the way butt more than likly would have hit the drunk's car good. out come dead druck, maybe, bumps and bruses? more than likely. butt jerking your loaded buss off into the drit? no.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2009, 09:39:06 PM »
Yup, when I first started driving truck Campfire Girls uncle (a truck driver for 30 years) gave me some good advice in a panic stop if someone pulled out in front of me or lost control. Don't panic, hit them if you must and stop without killing yourself too. About a year later it came to be that a small pickup with a snow plow backed out in front of me.... I think you can guess what happened from there.

brainlessfool

• Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2009, 09:41:09 PM »
yup, when it comes to a loaded buss four going down beats 65. :dunno:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2009, 09:46:06 PM »
Fortunately the guy I hit lived, though he did load his pants pretty good.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2009, 09:51:38 PM »
I'm too lazy to read back, but do we know or are we assuming that the women he was helping were dead set on crossing so he helped after they exited the bus, or did he help them from the bus from the get go?  I know everybody wants to join the bandwagon, but I'm still not seeing the guy as a villian, which is odd because I'm kind of a heartless b*std!
RIP KYOTA

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2009, 10:07:40 PM »
According to the media report he helped them from the get-go. So I'd say it was pre-planned by him to help them across the street.

red [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2009, 06:36:36 AM »
definatly differant responses than i was getting on another forum about this. do we know if there was even a crosswalk nearby? i've been to plenty of intersections where there is no crosswalk, no lights to let people know when to cross, etc. also if you remember when kids get off of school buses (at least that i've seen and remember) if the kid has to cross the street after gettin off the bus the bus driver has them cross the street in front of the bus.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 28, 2009, 07:50:27 AM »
Were there less negative nancies on other boards, or were they more negative there?
RIP KYOTA

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #20 on: Feb 28, 2009, 08:12:36 AM »
In crossing a street any intersection with or without a crosswalk it is legal to cross, the only exception to this rule would be if the corner or intersection is marked to prohibit crossing. Crossing mid street is jaywalking period. If all he did was to take them to an intersection and help them across they would have been legal and we may not even be discussing this issue now. The person I feel the most sorry for is the driver since he was for the most part doing what he was supposed to be driving in the street unlike those that decided to cross it illegally. As a professional driver I have had a few incidents over the years and in fact have hit a pedestrian crossing/jaywalking. He had just robbed a 7/11 store and took off running, I was driving my truck next to a telephone company crane truck when he slammed the brakes. I of course was a perverbeal sitting duck. He was in front of me before I could even react.

So now he sits in a wheelchair and got a multi-million dollar settlement though the insurance. Never went to jail for the robbery either. I was as legal as anyone could be driving, light was green at the corner, and he ran across about 30 yards from the intersection.
« Last Edit: Feb 28, 2009, 08:20:26 AM by Rocksurfer »

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 28, 2009, 08:29:58 AM »
In crossing a street any intersection with or without a crosswalk it is legal to cross, the only exception to this rule would be if the corner or intersection is marked to prohibit crossing. Crossing mid street is jaywalking period. If all he did was to take them to an intersection and help them across they would have been legal and we may not even be discussing this issue now. The person I feel the most sorry for is the driver since he was for the most part doing what he was supposed to be driving in the street unlike those that decided to cross it illegally. As a professional driver I have had a few incidents over the years and in fact have hit a pedestrian crossing/jaywalking. He had just robbed a 7/11 store and took off running, I was driving my truck next to a telephone company crane truck when he slammed the brakes. I of course was a perverbeal sitting duck. He was in front of me before I could even react.

So now he sits in a wheelchair and got a multi-million dollar settlement though the insurance. Never went to jail for the robbery either. I was as legal as anyone could be driving, light was green at the corner, and he ran across about 30 yards from the intersection.
Did he get a ticket for jaywalking?  :talkingn:

Theres a place here in St Louis where the police  set up jaywalking stings (and reverse stings!) because so many people get hit.....

The jaywalking sting sends a car or walking unit to bust jaywalkers.....the reverse sting actually sends walkers across marked crosswalks to bust drivers who dont stop for pedestrians (big fine)

RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2009, 08:35:42 AM »
Yeah he did and is why everyone is whining (media), what he did was illegal, I feel sorry that he is now injured but I feel no sympathy for him. If the guy that hit him had insurance he hit the lottery and he was working so  he'll get some good $ out of this but (and I might be a little biased) he doesn't deserve a penny.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 28, 2009, 08:46:38 AM »
Yeah he did and is why everyone is whining (media), what he did was illegal, I feel sorry that he is now injured but I feel no sympathy for him. If the guy that hit him had insurance he hit the lottery and he was working so  he'll get some good $ out of this but (and I might be a little biased) he doesn't deserve a penny.
No I was talking about the guy you hit....did he get a ticket?
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 28, 2009, 12:20:42 PM »
Well look at this way. You should feel sorry for the driver who now has to live with the guilt of hitting someone. Someone who shouldnt of been there in the first place.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #25 on: Feb 28, 2009, 07:41:42 PM »
No I was talking about the guy you hit....did he get a ticket?

I don't think so PD was more interested in the robbery than the accident, only after he was transported did the traffic cops show up. I don't know if they went to the hospital and cited him. They did say that I had the right of way and that the phone Co. guy confirmed everything I told them happened so at least I had a good witness.

Well look at this way. You should feel sorry for the driver who now has to live with the guilt of hitting someone. Someone who shouldnt of been there in the first place.

Personally it never affected me that I had injured someone, maybe if he'd died I'd been affected. In the work I was doing at the time I saw a lot of body carnage so maybe I was also immune to the situation. In fact I had another driver bring a rig that he couldn't operate and not only towed my rig back but the truck I was towing too. So I had my rig towing a truck towing a trailer and then hooked up to all that and towed it all back to the yard.

84xcab

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 261
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Feb 28, 2009, 08:57:25 PM »
Bobbed 84 xtra cab, pickin up parts as I go.

If at first you do not succeed, put it in 4low and try again.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #27 on: Feb 28, 2009, 09:06:53 PM »
 :bull crap: unless they brought out a snow blower and found a crosswalk.

84xcab

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 261
  • Member since Oct '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Feb 28, 2009, 09:33:30 PM »
I'm sure the story popping up in the news had somthing to do with the cop changing his mind :shake:
Bobbed 84 xtra cab, pickin up parts as I go.

If at first you do not succeed, put it in 4low and try again.

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Mar 01, 2009, 05:42:19 AM »
No good deed goes unpunished.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me