Author Topic: Permission to post pics?  (Read 3120 times)

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
Permission to post pics?
« on: Mar 25, 2009, 06:00:11 PM »
What do you guys/gals think about posting pictures of other people and their rigs online without permission?  :dunno: (Ex: You have cool pictures and you want to post them. What are the stipulations?)   :hammer:
What if you met someone and all you have is pictures, can you use those to find said person?  :think:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Permission to post pics?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2009, 07:03:52 PM »
Depends.  most people aren't really going to care all that much.  I'd do the polite thing (esp. if its people you don't know) and blot out their plate #, but other than that, if they don't say anything about them, I'd say you're good to go.  Quite a few people on the trail now adays put their pictures up anyway, so I think people are coming to expect it.

If all you have is pics to try to find someone, that can be done by having that person or another that knows him recognizing the rig, and speaking up.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

thegoofster21

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,644
  • Member since Mar '08
  • HIT IT HARD!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2009, 08:06:30 PM »
 blot out their plate #

that should be good. most people would be stoked to see their rig online

Any guy who takes his woman wheeling enjoys her. A woman who is owned is left at home to cook, clean, and keep beer cold. So if this offends you you should stop looking and go have some tacos.    :rofl2: And a beer. If your old enough.   :beerchug:   :beer:

04 Tacoma 33s http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61454.0
jmoffroad.com

87pickup

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 33
  • Male Posts: 719
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2009, 08:18:50 PM »
I would say it would be fine.

jrock [OP]

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 25, 2009, 08:30:41 PM »
Well where's the rebuttal? I'll give one, what if the person in the picture was out when he/she shouldn't have been? Pictures online are powerful things.  :snapshot:  :spankbutt:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #5 on: Mar 25, 2009, 09:17:43 PM »
I'd say you should expect to have pictures taken of you when you do things like we do. If you don't want pictures posted then get off the fence. As to blotting out my plate I've always wondered why this is done, I can't think of any good reason for this practice. Fear, fear of what?
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

iNfErNaL

• El Presidente
  • Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 7,509
  • Member since Aug '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 25, 2009, 10:42:45 PM »
What do you guys/gals think about posting pictures of other people and their rigs online without permission?  :dunno: (Ex: You have cool pictures and you want to post them. What are the stipulations?)   :hammer:
What if you met someone and all you have is pictures, can you use those to find said person?  :think:

I don't quite understand what you're asking . Are you looking for a certain person and want to post their pic to find them ? , Or do you mean just posting a picture of someone's rig because you think it's cool ? . Either way , I don't think it's a big deal . Ive seen pictures of my truck on a couple of people's MySpace pages , no big deal . I just think of it as friends of mine having pictures of my truck , even if I don't know the person . A while back I met some guy at Big Bear who asked me it I had been to Ocotillo Wells recently , I said yes and asked if he'd seen me there and he said one of his buddies had a couple pics of my truck in OW and I had no idea who his friend was , but it didn't bother me one bit , in fact I thought it was way cool  :yupyup:  .
WWW.GLOBALOFFROADSUPPLY.COM

Support Your Local Brawlers
 www.RockBrawlers.com 

www.offroadtruckshow.com

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 25, 2009, 10:46:39 PM »
Yea I thought it wasnt really a big deal until YotaTech "stole" my linked pictures off a photobucket account and sold them for profit in a calender.............

I was flattered...yes.....but they still should have asked permission from a forum user....just the respectful thing to do.....

RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 25, 2009, 11:24:18 PM »
What ever came of that collier? 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2009, 06:26:57 AM »
What ever came of that collier? 

Well, basically the moderators acted like a bunch of children (typical) and more or less made me feel like a whiny baby. I DID finally get an apology but it was still underhanded of YotaTech. They misrepresented their intentions

....I just choose not to go there anymore.
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2009, 11:18:45 AM »
what pics did YT jack from you DTB?
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2009, 12:52:18 PM »
what pics did YT jack from you DTB?
They were just pics of my girlfriend standing next to and driving my truck. I posted them to show off my girl and truck...not to be used in a "pin up" calendar to be SOLD to a bunch of yahoos. The pics were never even uploaded to Yotatech...they were taken from my photobucket account. Photobucket terms specify that once you upload a picture onto photobucket it can be used by anyone for anything...even to make money. Were they in their legal rights? Yes. Ethical or moral rights....questionable. I say no. Also, it wasnt just one picture it was three different ones. To me not getting someones permission is ok....it just depends on what it's being used for.

Say, I took a picture of your sister (or mother, anyone you care about) off your photobucket account  and used it to create a "sexy" calendar to sell to a bunch of horny teenagers without even a simple PM asking for permission. Would you be cool with that?

I tried to use this analogy on yotatech and I was told by moderators that "thier" mothers and sisters are people capable of making thier own decisions. Pretty much left a bad taste in my mouth. How can they treat thier members this way?

I can't say anymore for fear of starting board conflicts
RIP KYOTA

jrock [OP]

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2009, 02:59:47 PM »
And this is why I started this thread. When you post pictures online you expose them to the WORLD. Who knows what will be done with them or who will see them. Granted, most of the pictures online will never be used in such a way but you can't be certain they won't. So I ask, is it truly okay to post pictures of other people and there vehicles without permission?

66cobra

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 34
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2009, 03:47:15 PM »
well, i think thats bs on their part but on the other hand it may be your bad for postin' pix of your woman on something that bean bags can take advantage of. my rule is to post no pix of my fam on the net, especially of my kids. just too many fn freaks out there,  don't take me the wrong way, i'm on your side
it's not me, it's you

All_Set

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -145
  • Male Posts: 543
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • Blue Ribbon Coalition
« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2009, 05:04:56 PM »
Break it down to 2 questions.

Is it ok to post a picture of someone elses truck that you TOOK the picture of.     YES!  (assuming you were not hiding on private property, uninvited, taking pictures.) 

Is it ok to surf the web, find some kewl pics, and repost them somewhere else and not bothering to mentioning where/who's pics they are..   ??      (I've had people politely ask me not to do this and am unclear if it's actually against copyright laws.)

If you would like to help save the Rubicon, send money to the Rubicon Trail Foundation

jrock [OP]

• Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 26, 2009, 05:10:37 PM »
Is it ok to surf the web, find some kewl pics, and repost them somewhere else and not bothering to mentioning where/who's pics they are..   ??      (I've had people politely ask me not to do this and am unclear if it's actually against copyright laws.)
Plagiarism essentially and that I agree. If you find a picture you should TRY put in a link or at least say you found it.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 26, 2009, 05:47:03 PM »
Break it down to 2 questions.

Is it ok to post a picture of someone elses truck that you TOOK the picture of.     YES!  (assuming you were not hiding on private property, uninvited, taking pictures.) 

Is it ok to surf the web, find some kewl pics, and repost them somewhere else and not bothering to mentioning where/who's pics they are..   ??      (I've had people politely ask me not to do this and am unclear if it's actually against copyright laws.)

When you take a photo, it is YOUR picture, not the person's who is in it.  If they object to it prior, then no, you shouldn't take the photo.  If they object to it after, it is the right thing to do to either delete it (digi) or not post it anywhere public (film).  This obviously applies to public land only. 

As far as using other material, I'd say as long as you give the location, OP, whatever its ok, because that is giving credit where credit is due. 

DTB, didn't know about that issue, and thats pretty screwed up IMO.  go figure who it is though  :shake_head:

As to blotting out my plate I've always wondered why this is done, I can't think of any good reason for this practice. Fear, fear of what?

Personally I don't understand it, I've never done it, but it seems to be a sensitive issue for some people. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent