Author Topic: Clutch Problem  (Read 4101 times)

Sparkplug

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -130
  • Male Posts: 2,046
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
Clutch Problem
« on: Dec 09, 2008, 04:34:13 PM »
well, after an extended stay away from home. I return to find my truck tweakerfied. To make a long story short, they screwed it up. No tach, speedo, oil, volt or temp gauges, wouldnt run when I got here. man. Well I got it running good now, but I ran into a new problem the other night, while I was testing my repairs out. I went into the creek, got it sunk in a hole, had to leave it for 2 days. I got it out, it was runnin weird, like wanting to die in gear. I get home and the clutch master is empty, so I filled it up, and bled the clutch. Now when u push in the clutch, its like it doesnt pull it out fo gear, if you have the truck idling and depress clutch and try to put it in a gear, it grinds. I believe its a clutch problem, but the slave is working. I want to know what you guys think the problem is. It will drive if u start it in gear, but wont come out unless truck is off. I kinda need to hurry, if I need a new tranny fine, but I would think if it was a tranny problem then the truck wouldnt move. All gears feel the same, even reverse. Thanks.
2008 TRD 4x4 Double Cab Tacoma
1994 12 valve 5 speed 4x4 single cab dodge 2500
1986 22re 5speed 3link 4runner (the beater)
1982 3rz swapped pickup (in progress)

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Re: Clutch Problem
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2008, 04:37:53 PM »
The clutch isn't fully disengaging.

Sounds like air in the line

Check slave and master for leaks (master will get your carpeting yucky.....)
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Sparkplug [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2008, 04:43:16 PM »
Ill bleet it more then, ne1 else have ideas in case this isnt problem, thought I got all air out, but maybe not. Thanks

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2008, 05:14:54 PM »
Ill bleet it more then, ne1 else have ideas in case this isnt problem, thought I got all air out, but maybe not. Thanks
"ne1" ??  :slap: this aint a cell phone, thats just laziness

btw  your clutch has mud in it, or water damage from sitting in the mud for 2 days
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Sparkplug [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2008, 05:24:49 PM »
so i must pull the tranny yet agin, man thats like the 10th time on this truck. Ive taken this truck through water before, and not had a problem. This problem was the reason I couldnt get out of the hole, would water hitting the clutch screw it up that soon?

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2008, 08:46:41 PM »
so i must pull the tranny yet agin, man thats like the 10th time on this truck. Ive taken this truck through water before, and not had a problem. This problem was the reason I couldnt get out of the hole, would water hitting the clutch screw it up that soon?

Its not so much the going through the water, as it is the letting it sit for two days in the mud and water. 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

sweet85

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 78
  • Member since Aug '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2008, 10:48:07 AM »
How high did the water come up to on the truck? Water could easily get in around the rubber boot on the slave cylinder. But for it not to release your not getting enough pressure against the pressure plate. When I put a new clutch in my runner the bolts that hold down the shifters in the cases got put into the clutch disc. And if your wondering how that happend, each set of eight bolts are the same size except the shifter bolts are about a .25 inch longer. This caused them to bottom out and in return not get enough pressure. I figured it out what the problem was after dropping the trans 3 times. SEPERATE YOUR BOLTS!!! Lesson learned!!!   :hammerhead:

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2008, 03:25:01 PM »
Need to take apart.    Need pics of the grime.   :gap:

Sparkplug [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2008, 03:33:48 PM »
water got pretty high, bottom of doors, a lil higher when i waqs movin back and forth maybe, so i guess ill pull the tranny again, just gonna dop a new clutch at the same time.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2008, 09:46:45 PM »
get a Marlin clutch this time and it will stand up

oh i guess you know all those gear boxes need to have the oil drained cause they are water contaminated

front and rear diff, tcase, and tranny
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2008, 12:17:39 PM »
Also change the oil - your seal around the oil pan might not be as water-tight as you'd have hoped.

Oh - and pics.  It's not entertaining unless we see a wad of muddy grease.    :disturbed:

Sparkplug [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2008, 02:53:17 PM »
well, I pulled the tranny, and looking at the clutch, it doesnt look like anything is worng. Should I pull the clutch off the flywheel, or is lookin at it while its on good enough. Im at a loss, I hope I didnt just need to bleed it more. I was told by a reliable member that my problem lay with the clutch and not the slave, but now im not so sure, I would like some feedback please, any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2008, 06:44:52 PM »
the hard part is removing the tranny, you might as well take the clutch apart too.....

check the pilot bearing too
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2008, 07:07:06 PM »
well, I pulled the tranny, and looking at the clutch, it doesnt look like anything is worng. Should I pull the clutch off the flywheel, or is lookin at it while its on good enough. Im at a loss, I hope I didnt just need to bleed it more. I was told by a reliable member that my problem lay with the clutch and not the slave, but now im not so sure, I would like some feedback please, any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Pull the clutch, and take a look at the disk, the flywheel and the pilot bearing.  You might as well, since you've got it stripped anyway.

Always take what people on here tell you with a grain of salt, even the most reliable members.  Not because they really don't know what they're talking about, but because they're not there, looking at it, getting their hands dirty.  We all rely on the description of the problem, which may or may not leave out important things that may or may not seem insignificant.  Pictures are always helpful too, even if it seems as if they won't be, because a more skilled person may see something out of place immediately that a less skilled person would think of as normal. 

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Dec 20, 2008, 07:37:45 PM »
who told you to pull the tranny??  cause i reread and looks like you just needed  to bleed the slave or replace the slave/master 

:headscratch:  having left it in water and mud for 2 days i'm sure i'd replace the clutch since you have it out

:worthless:

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 20, 2008, 09:20:00 PM »
well, after an extended stay away from home.

I gotta ask, was your stay funded by the state or city  :gap:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Sparkplug [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 20, 2008, 09:21:36 PM »
Ill get the cam and take pics, I think that I should have bled it more though. Had a few friends tellin me I got stuff in the clutch though. Ill pull it all tommorow, and hopefully be able to load pics. Thanks.

Sparkplug [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 20, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
Heres link to pics, hope it works. My stay was funded by the state by the way. :smoke:

http://s492.photobucket.com/albums/rr290/sparkplug487/

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 20, 2008, 11:24:04 PM »
Werd.  So you try and serve your time and your truck gets jacked meanwhile  :shake:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Dec 21, 2008, 03:49:01 PM »
I'd pull your clutch apart.  with that rust on the flywheel, there's a good chance your disk is contaminated as well.  Also, it looks like you've got an oil leak.  Rear main?

-Ronald Reagan

Sparkplug [OP]

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jan '08
  • Doin it Standing Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Dec 22, 2008, 11:55:25 AM »
Ill be pulling clutch off today, I still dont think its the clutch. i believe I need to bleed the master and slave again. O well, welll see, I have money for a clutch but if this one has more than 1/2 life, and it should, I could spend the money better elsewhere. Im not worried about a lil rust on the flywheel, I will look at it though. As far as my oil leak, only place I know it leaks from is valve cover, everywhere else is good, if your talkin about the grime, well Ive had bad leaks in the past.

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 22, 2008, 03:00:47 PM »
Well, the fact that you sunk it means there could be bigger problems, but I'm having a similar problem, and I'll find out in the next couple days what it is. Mine only started acting up in cold weather, and I have a new clutch and slave cylinder. Mine will not go into gear often when cold if the truck is running. Sometimes wants to stall when it's in gear, or won't start if it's in gear.

The last couple days the clutch only disengages when the pedal is all the way up off the floor, which isn't normal. Today I found that I can start it in gear, take my foot off the clutch and it idles fine and goes nowhere. If I push the clutch hard to the floor, it will engage a bit and start to creep forward. Weird, eh? I can now shift into gears with it running if I just lightly depress the clutch pedal, less than half way to the floor, and I will get some engagement with the pedal all the way to the floor. So it's reversed itself. If I hit the gas it just revs, I don't go anywhere, and I can idle fine with the clutch out and the tranny in first, but I push the clutch pedal hard to the floor and suddenly it starts crawling forward a bit.

I flushed the fluid last week thinking there was some moisture freezing in the line, but it's doing it again. The clutch and hydraulic system has all worked fine for around 5,000 miles and 3 months time, but the cold weather did something. Anyways, fresh fluid, new slave cylinder, new clutch, and the line looks good to me.....well I bought a master cylinder today. I may get it in tonight, if not then tomorrow, I'll let you know if that did it for me, because aside from the water submersion, we've got similar issues going on.
Zach
I like Yotatech

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 23, 2008, 12:30:23 PM »
Well I think that did it. It's working better now but then it could just be ok for a bit then happen again like last time...we'll see. Now it's engaging really close to the floor. Not sure if that's a pedal adjustment or if I need to bleed the fluid better, but so far the master cylinder seems to have done it.
Zach
I like Yotatech

EASYRYDERDANGER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1856
  • Male Posts: 215
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jan 18, 2009, 07:56:39 PM »
Did you guys ever find out what was wrong.  i too have similar problems.  I was driving my truck on to the interstate and i went to put it in to 4th gear and it wouldn't go in.  so i pumped the pedal and it worked as long as i kept pumping before shifts.  I ended up replacing the master and slave.  It worked fine but the pedal never felt quite right.  replaced the pivot sleave/bushing at the bottom of the shift lever to help it guide into gears better.  Also replaced the rubber line before the slave cause my manager told me that that is common problem especially since i have 2" body lift.  Wow it felt like new again. not. 3 weeks later it start to poop out again and slowly loosing pedal. however now pumping did jack.  id go over a bump or up and down hill and i would get the pedal back, then nothing like i was pumping air.  personally i think i have pressure plate issue, but im hesitant to pull the tranny cause when bleed the system again it works ok for a few drive cycles which indicates to me that i have hydraulic issue.  ive even bleed the truck with the front and rear jack up at 45 degree angles so had n air pockets.(like ford rangers). so plz any info will help.

EASYRYDERDANGER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1856
  • Male Posts: 215
  • Member since Jul '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 20, 2009, 08:09:28 PM »
Well i pulled the trans out and found a that the clutch and clutch cover are s grenaded. :maddest:  hopfully when i put it all back together it works like new again.