Author Topic: Talk about a run around  (Read 1935 times)

FLRunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
Talk about a run around
« on: Sep 15, 2008, 04:17:49 PM »
Ok so yesterday i bought a 91 toy p/u    all it needed was a new Battery . So i went a bought a new battery  got home and went to put it in and  the previous owner had put a marine battery in and for what ever reason taken the battery clamps off and just used some electrical eyes and bolted them to the batt   . so a quick run to the store and picked up the right termal ends .  Bolt everything up and Battery light is still on HMMM  :smack: Ok  Take the alternator out and take it to get it checked out . NO good . Ok buy a new Alt  Bolt it up  and waa laa  still have the Batt light on . Ok take the New alt back and have them check it  and it checks out fine   :headscratch: So after checking everything that i could think of  I finally Caved in and got out the phone book . Called 3 places and found a place that could get me in   . I showed up ON time onley to be told that the Guy had gone to eat . Ok so i wait and wait and wait   after a hour and a half some other guy comes and says he will take a look at it . I tell the guy everything i did and what is happeing so he gets a battery tester And tells me everything is working fine  :dunno: Then the owner of the place comes out and takes a look   and he says ya its all fine  and that I SHOULD just take the Light of the Dash WTF ?  This is a ASE certified shop and they tell me this  OK  so off i go  with my new truck thats working great  But i sure dont think it is . So i stop and a Discount auto place just for the heak of it and ask them to check to see if my Battery is charging  Heak what do i know maybe it is working ?  They tell me it is not charging :moods:so now i am not sure what to do  . Mean while my batt on my phone is Dead from work calling all day cus i am not there .SO i do what we all hate to do Cus i know this is gona hurt  I call TOYOTA and explain to them what is going on   She tells me bring it rt in and they can put it on the computer and see whats wrong Only charge 98 dollars  Ok  off i go   Toyota takes it back to there guys  and  about 30 min later ther service manager comes and tells me that my Altternator is not Charging  :smack: And that i need a 365dollar Toy alt. SoI pay them and take the alt off and bring it back and they check it again  and it checks out Fine  :maddest: So i go back to Toyota and tell them that it checks out fine and ask them if they can check it just to be sure before i put it back on . UMM we have no way to check it  :headscratch: so i ask if i can talk to the Tech that worked on it .  The service manger says he will go talk to him ? i kinda followed behind and eased my way back to the tech   and talked to him  . I told him that the store says it checks out fine but you guys say it no good  And i will gladly Buy 1 from Toyota   But i dont want to spend 365 dollars and have the same problem .  He tells me he is 95% sure that it will fix the problem .   So i told them i would call them in the Morning and order the new one that should cure all since it was to late to get the order in today .  Now just for the heak of it i stopped at another shop that says the specalize in Electrical work and tell him the story and he tells me to bring it by in the AM and he will take a look at it . SO now i am not sure what to do  Put the Alt back in and take it to this other shop ? i figure it cant hurt . or just order the 1 from Toyota . But i really dont think that will fix the problem . I wish i could see another truck cus i could just see what the previous owner did wrong  . Man i am not haveng a good start with this truck .  Not to mention That i have a 89 4runner in perfect shape  but i just blew a head gasket on the 3.0 and that is why i bought this new truck so i could take my time with the 4runner  Hahahha  for the money i have already spent on the truck i could have put a new motor in the runner and been done with it . Rant over  still not suer what to do though .

tech201

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 141
  • Member since Jan '08
  • this is who we are this is what we do.
    • View Profile
Re: Talk about a run around
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2008, 09:23:15 PM »
What i would reccamend you do is ask some of your friends or co workers who they use for a shop and take it to a well referred shop that you can trust. That shop that said to take the light out sucks they are hackers A.S.E. doesn't mean :pokinit: I'm A.S.E. certified master tech I've worked with a lot of guys who are certified and some who weren't I wouldn't let some master techs get near my stuff. if you have a test light and a wiring diagram you can figure out whats wrong with your truck. with out a diagram in front of me some things id say to check are the charge wire (batt to alt lug) make sure it has power at the alt you may have a bad fuse next check the plug on the back of the alt i think it has 2 wires with it plugged key on engine off you should have power at both wires one comes from the ignition to the alt and one goes from the alt to the light in the dash. if those check good  you have a bad alt oh ya make sure all the grounds are good batt to engine batt to inner fender firewall to engine.

FLRunner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2008, 04:41:54 AM »
Thank you . Yes  I do have power to the Alt i checked that  . i also have power from the Alt plug on the white wire . but i get nothing from the yellow or red ?  If i had a picture or another truck to referenec from i know i could fix it  . The previous owner did some less than desireable wireing IE: cut n spliceing  . I took out about 10 pounds of a rats nest that they had for alarm wires and radio . I figure if i could get rid of what is not suposed to be there and start from scratch  .  I think the best part of all this is I am over a hundred miles away from home and I am Stuck at my EX wifes house  (my house ) till i can figure this thing out . can you feel my pain now  :smack:

RABIDYOTA

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -107
  • Male Posts: 336
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2008, 12:59:58 PM »
A.S.E.  =    ASK SOMEONE ELSE!!!!!!  I've been working on vehicles for 20 years never botherd to get certified

TIMS89CRAWLER

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 35
  • Male Posts: 1,968
  • Member since Oct '07
  • BORN TO WHEEL, FORCED TO WORK...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2008, 01:56:56 PM »
A.S.E.  =    ASK SOMEONE ELSE!!!!!!  I've been working on vehicles for 20 years never botherd to get certified
I agree I have ran into some real stupid certified tech's not to say they all are but there are some sleezy ones out there that think theyre just the best cause they are "certified"
Having a 12 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet; You're going to surprise a bunch of people, but in the end you're still gay.

www.choptechfab.com
www.myspace.com/choptechfab

1989 x-cab truck, 96 2rz swap, MC07-R10 duals w/flat belly, doved front, bobbed bed, all pro 5" springs F&R, lincoln locked F&R, 38.5" sx's and still at it!
CHECK THE BUILD
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39494.0

FLRunner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 16, 2008, 02:16:47 PM »
O trust me I think i would rather have my toe nails pulled off before i let someone work on my cars and  for the most part can work on toyotas pretty well  I have owned over 20 toy trucks . this truck just had me baffeld  . see what happend is they had a stereo system and alarm system and did  a  :yikes:job of wireing it and it had melted some of the wires So the previous owner cut out the wires and rewired . only problem is they are not color cordenated . so i really had nothing to go by . Well i went to junk yard and got all the right wires and found the problem to be in the fuse panel . so now its Fixed  . The part that gets me is I took it to a shop and they checked it and tell me its fine just take the dash light out ? ya ok what if my daughter took her car there and they told her that ? Thank god she is not that old  and better yet she works on my trucks with me so this sort of crap should never happen to her  bat thats another story . Then i take it to TOYOTA and they tell me its the Alt   and i need a Toyota one for 365 dollars . WTH do you think was on it a FORD ? No it was Toyota alt  and i had it checked  3 times  and every time it was perfect .  and the last thing that gets me is the guy i bought it from told me he had did the wireing  so i called him and he didnt want to talk about it ? i was not mad and i still am not mad I bought it and Thats cool just was curious if there was something that he did and i could not see . SO now that its fixed I get the real story from my EX  i guess the guy was a drug dealer and got cought and went to prison and just got out and needs money to pay fines   and he got the truck from some Crack head that owed him money  :smack: . I guess all in all i still made out on the deal  cus its a nice truck  its lifted and has rims and tires  and all kinds of nice parts  .  The plan now is to drive this for a bit while i rebuild the motor in my 4Runner  and then just use my runner as a nice DD and use this as a wheeler . So i will now Start a build thread    Thank you again for the help  .

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 16, 2008, 03:02:44 PM »
When I had charging issues in my truck I completely went through all wiring related to the alternator/charging, then took it to an automotive electrical shop I'd heard good things about.  Everything appeared to be working fine for me, but I wanted somebody more familiar with electrical and charging to check it out for peace of mind.  It turns out everything was fine and I'd fixed the issue.

Glad you got it fixed!  And a quick tip, the smilies don't work if you don't leave a space on either side  :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!