Author Topic: T-case gears: Something about halfway between 2.28 and 4.0?  (Read 2595 times)

Winch

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 9
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Toyota Parts for sale
Does anyone know if it is possible to find and swap T-case gears somewhere between a 2.57 - 3.00:1 ratio for stock 2.28 gears into a gear driven Toyota T-case?

OK, that's the end of my question, but incase anyone is interested in wondering why I would want such a ratio, here is a bit of an explanation:   I have a 2002 Tacoma Doublecab with the 3.4L V6 and a 5speed R150F tranny with dual T-cases using the Marlin adapters and 2.28 gears in both.  I think my truck weighs just over 5000 lbs. I did not post this in the Tacoma section, because I felt it is more relevant here since I am using 1980-83 T-cases.

I find the T case ratios of 2.28 and 5.2 just enough for most terrain.  My buddy has 2.28 in the first T-case and 4.0 in the second and I find the 4.0 too low for the type of non-competitive wheeling that we do.  My buddy is always either falling behind because he runs out of gears, or has to stop to shift the T-case in Hi. 

I think it would be great to convert my low range back to a stock configuration of around 2.57.  I don't really have any problems with power on the V6, but my main issue is with hill descends.  Whereas I think the 2.28 will slow down a lighter vehicle, it is not enough reduction to slow down my 5000 lbs Tacoma, while the stock 2.57 gears did that.  I miss having the downhill control I had before.

Descending steep hills with only one T-case in low is not enough, and putting both in low is too low.  Having both T-cases in low and the tranny in second gear, is slightly lower than having one T-case in low and the tranny in first, but still not quite enough.

My prefernce would be to have a ratio of about 2.57 - 3.00 in my second case.  As far as I understand, I cannot swap the 2.57 gears from my old Taco T-case because they are a planetary design, and I am unaware of anyone making gears in that ratio for a Toyota.  So do I have any options?  Will a machine shop be able to make me a set of gears in the ratio I want, or are there perhaps other vehicle T-case gears that will swap in with such a ratio?

Thanks
Gary
'02 Tacoma Double cab, 5 speed swap, dual T-cases, dual E-lockers, FJ80 SAS, 37" MTR's
'80 Toycoma, 5 speed swap, 3.4 L, IFS, Air, Airbag, Power locks
Lotsa Toyota parts for sale:
http://winchstoyotaparts.yolasite.com/

REG535

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -287
  • Male Posts: 1,083
  • Member since Jul '07
  • Shes traveling to many celestial worlds
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Am not sure why you having problems with this setup? To me going slow is more important than going fast down a hill, a hill can either flop you or roll, which is why going as slow is possible helps.
There are no such gears for the gear-driven cases. If you wanted to you could use the t-case that first came with R150F and put it back in along with the adapter from chain-driven that bolts to gear-driven t-case,,instead of using two gear-driven t-cases.
 :o
85 Marble' Black and White (x-cab)
84 RedTurtle' Red with White Top added Marlin Turtle Shift Knob (All Stock) :silly:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
the MC10 is the adapter that places a 2.28 gear driven crawl box in front of a 2.57 chain drive case.  That is what I have in my truck.  Love it.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
um  i find  i run 2.28+ 2.28 +3rd gear in tranny alot,  i dont understand why people think they have to shift the tcase to high range before they use 3rd or 4th gear
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Winch [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Toyota Parts for sale
No, I need both T-cases to be gear driven because I need my front driveshaft passenger side to match the FJ80 axle.  I think 2.28 is fine for a lighter truck, i.e. mini truck or 4Runner, but with the weight of my truck it doesn't matter waht configuration I use (2.28 plus 1st gear, or 2.28 plus 2.28 plus 2nd gear), I either go too slow or too fast down steep hills.  In my opinion a ratio of 2.57:1 to 3.0:1 would have been ideal for a Tacoma like mine.  So, I take it from your responses that there simply is no such option???
'02 Tacoma Double cab, 5 speed swap, dual T-cases, dual E-lockers, FJ80 SAS, 37" MTR's

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
No, I need both T-cases to be gear driven because I need my front driveshaft passenger side to match the FJ80 axle.  I think 2.28 is fine for a lighter truck, i.e. mini truck or 4Runner, but with the weight of my truck it doesn't matter waht configuration I use (2.28 plus 1st gear, or 2.28 plus 2.28 plus 2nd gear), I either go too slow or too fast down steep hills.  In my opinion a ratio of 2.57:1 to 3.0:1 would have been ideal for a Tacoma like mine.  So, I take it from your responses that there simply is no such option???

you have 2 choices,

learn to live with it, and shift to another gear,

or learn to make your own gears
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile

no you don't the t-case from the 3.0 trucks is also chain drive, but passenger drop.  It has the same ratio (2.57:1)  It would work fine for what you want.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

OOPS

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
no you don't the t-case from the 3.0 trucks is also chain drive, but passenger drop.  It has the same ratio (2.57:1)  It would work fine for what you want.

I have one I will give you, if you want to come to Roseville, CA and pick it up. Only has about 72,000 miles on it.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Winch [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
    • Toyota Parts for sale

Ok thanks, but back in the day when I did my research on going dual cases, I read that the 3.0 chain driven cases were the weakest of the three.  If I remember correctly, most of the opinions were that the new Taco T-case was the strongest because the chain is almost twice as wide as the 3.0 L chain, but could still stretch over time, the old gear driven cases were next, and the 3.0 Liter T-cases were considered the weakest, especially since they would be used behind the first T-case.  Other thing is I already have a custom crossmember attaching to the gear driven case, driveshafts, ect. so I would prefer to keep the two gear driven cases, and was hoping that someone made a ratio about halfway between the two extremes (2.28 at the high end and 4.0 + at the low end)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Ok thanks, but back in the day when I did my research on going dual cases, I read that the 3.0 chain driven cases were the weakest of the three.  If I remember correctly, most of the opinions were that the new Taco T-case was the strongest because the chain is almost twice as wide as the 3.0 L chain, but could still stretch over time, the old gear driven cases were next, and the 3.0 Liter T-cases were considered the weakest, especially since they would be used behind the first T-case.  Other thing is I already have a custom crossmember attaching to the gear driven case, driveshafts, ect. so I would prefer to keep the two gear driven cases, and was hoping that someone made a ratio about halfway between the two extremes (2.28 at the high end and 4.0 + at the low end)

That was why Marlin didn't try to produce an adapter for a long time, but then through testing, he discovered that the 3.0 t-case is in fact strong enough to handle the stress.  The taco case is probably stronger, but IIRC, marlin discovered that the 3.0 chain drive t-case is of similar strength as the gear driven t-case.

It probably wouldn't be too hard to adapt that crossmember either.  I made a chain drive t-case mount by cutting of one side of the mounting tab,and welding it on at a different angle. 

I think you're SOL as far as a gearset in the range you're looking for.

-Ronald Reagan