Author Topic: Fixing Up My New 27ft Trailer  (Read 1697 times)

Sluice Box Hero

• My mom says im special
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -114
  • Male Posts: 637
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Tell your mom hi, and thank her for last night
    • View Profile
Fixing Up My New 27ft Trailer
« on: May 26, 2008, 09:39:23 PM »
Just thought some would like to see what i really work on in my spare time since the toyota hasnt been giving me much trouble lately (lovin the D60 :cool:)

anyway, 3 weeks ago kyle and i were crusin downtown going to look at a POS trailer frame he wanted me to tow back to his house for him when we ran across this gem of a 2 truck 27ft trailer.  asked the guy how much, he said $800, i told him i had $600, and 5 seconds later it was mine.  later that week i nabbed it and drug it home and we started working on it.

First there were these small boxes welded everywhere.  kyle went to work on those and an hour later it started to look like it just might work.

While he was doing that i started working on wiring this thing.  it has 2 7k brake axles that are kinda weird, not sure what to think about them, but they look way beef.  every trailer i wire i use an extension cord ran down each frame rail. white is brake, black is running, green is brake/turn.  way easy if you ask me.

also capped the rear crossmemeber and put the lights in.

braced the fenders for driving over.

knowing that most of the weight on the truck we carry will be on the outside of the trailer i added supports every 2ft along the outter edge, and kept the inner braces to every 4ft.  also made bracing to hold the deck down it will be 2 8ft sections and then an 11ft section in the front.  well, once all the wiring was done and checked, all the braces were welded in, and everything else buttoned up it was time to start putting the deck on it today. . . . by myself.  ended up buying all new wood.  34 2"x6"x8' and 17 2"x6"x12ft came to $206.99 at Home Depot this afternoon.  after seeing the rear section down, it was way worth the money.

well, ill update this until its completely done and registered and looking titties.  there is plenty left to do. . . .

Callen
"You know that feeling right after you take a huge dump? . . . . Awesome"
-Cartman

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Fixing Up My New 27ft Trailer
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 09:46:21 PM »
nice work so far.  Looks like a looong ass way back to those axles though...maybe should have been a 3 axle...are you worried about tongue weight with 2 trucks on there?

Sluice Box Hero [OP]

• My mom says im special
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -114
  • Male Posts: 637
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Tell your mom hi, and thank her for last night
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 10:04:25 PM »
loading both truck backwards to start with, and if it sags the truck too much im going to look into airbags.

Callen
"You know that feeling right after you take a huge dump? . . . . Awesome"
-Cartman

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 10:20:07 PM »
That looks like an RV type trailer frame.  Zieman?  Do you know the GVW?  If you say those axles are 2700# (unless I misread) the GVW may be only like 5500-5800#.  If it is, then you will most likely be over weight with two rigs on it. I hope I'm wrong.  The GVW might be stamped in the frame somewhere near or on the tongue possibly or even have a data plate riveted to it somewhere.

I just would h8 to see you do something like this and then get all bummed because you find out it wasn't safe, that's all.  Otherwise a good project! If at the very least it will fit one truck and lotsa other stuff.  :yupyup:  :gap:

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2008, 10:21:55 PM »
That looks like an RV type trailer frame.  Zieman?  Do you know the GVW?  If you say those axles are 2700# (unless I misread) the GVW may be only like 5500-5800#.  If it is, then you will most likely be over weight with two rigs on it. I hope I'm wrong.  The GVW might be stamped in the frame somewhere near or on the tongue possibly or even have a data plate riveted to it somewhere.

I just would h8 to see you do something like this and then get all bummed because you find out it wasn't safe, that's all.  Otherwise a good project! If at the very least it will fit one truck and lotsa other stuff.  :yupyup:  :gap:
no brotha.2-7k axles.

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 10:27:35 PM »
  :smack: OH! (2) 7000lbs axles.  :biggthumpup:  Ok, well, cool then! Have at it!  :beerchug:

Was a little confused when i read "2 7k brake axles"   Thought there was a (.) missing there. My bad.  :_oops:   :disturbed:

Thanks for da  :slap: bro.... :rofl: