Author Topic: re-gearing 3rd member....CAN I DO IT???  (Read 2225 times)

rustyota

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 49
  • Member since Dec '03
  • InfantCrawl
    • View Profile
re-gearing 3rd member....CAN I DO IT???
« on: Jul 13, 2004, 07:03:00 AM »
I just got my 5.29 gear in the mail, and my locker is on the way for my 85 mini.  I have never delt with a 3rd member before, or axles for that matter. I do most all my own work on my toyotas with the exception of a tranny or rear main stuff.  I don't have any SST's but I am pretty good at rounding up household items to do the task at hand.
My question I guess is if it logical for me to try to replace the ring and pinion and install a lockright locker myself? I have read articles about setting everything just right(backlash, shims, torques) so the diff doesn't explode on the trail, and it sounds mistakes could be made easily.
I have the third member off and ready for disassembly....should I proceed? or should I take it and the parts somewhere and have it done by a professional with all the right tools and presses?
Thanks
1985 PU (toy)
1990 4Runner (daily driver w/mods)
Don't underestimate the Yota........

YotaYota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 182
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Cuttin.....Weldin.....Grindin.....
    • View Profile
Re: re-gearing 3rd member....CAN I DO IT???
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13, 2004, 08:07:41 AM »
I do all my own stuff as well, but I know better than to touch that. I paid this guy in my club $300 to do mine, did a very good job, he's very anal and a perfectionist, thats the kind of person that you nee to do ring and pinions. My advice, find sombodys whose done a few.

-Anthony
85' Yota P/U, 37X12.50X17 BFG MT's on Steelys, Duel Cases, (2.28X4.7), V6 3rds Locked and Loaded W/ 4.88's, AllPro Rear Disk Brakes, Profeilds, All-Pro Front Sus., 4-Link w/ Sway-A-Way Air Shox, Flat Belly

greengo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 44
  • Male Posts: 48
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Offroad
« Reply #2 on: Jul 13, 2004, 11:41:35 AM »
I remember doing my thirds, it was the first time i set up gears also. its not neccisarily that hard, just requires the right tools and patients. cause it took about 7 times, of dissasembly and reassembly to get it right. for tools youll need a dial indicator w/magnetic base, a micrometer, spanner wrench, a press, and bearing remover. not to mention youll need some sort of jig or stand to hold it. and most important someone who knows what they are doing, right there with you. i'll assume these things are not readly avalable to you, and would advise taking it somewhere. rather than trying it on your own with out the proper tools and trashin the gears you just bought. after i finished my first one i was half tempeted to take the other somwhere and pay. but if you do have all the resources, i say go for it, its a good learning experience.
"No Habla Jeep"

rockhound

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 169
  • Male Posts: 817
  • Member since Nov '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 14, 2004, 09:39:11 AM »
yah, you need the tools, and the first attempt is the hardest. If you trust your ability, and it helps to be anal, there is nothing cooler than knowing you did it yourself. If you don't, shell out the bucks. You can blame somebody else if they screw it up.
How you 'sposed to know what your limitations are, till you exceed them.

www.RunandPlayMotorsports.com

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 14, 2004, 10:13:08 AM »
If you get all the tools you need and do plenty of reading there is no reason why you cant do it yourself. Just dont' settle for nothin less than perfect and the is refering to the gear pattern. everything else is just torq specs, tolerances and time.
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8403
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 14, 2004, 10:42:04 AM »
Be sure to post up your gear pattern & ask everyone if it looks O.K. to them when you do it.

It's a BBS tradition  :yupyup:
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes