Author Topic: Can a 3rd member be cleaned, and re assembled?  (Read 874 times)

FjordWarrden

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 166
  • Male Posts: 76
  • Member since May '19
  • No such thing as a shortcut
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Can a 3rd member be cleaned, and re assembled?
« on: Jul 02, 2020, 09:06:22 PM »
Hey All I had a friend pull a rear 3rd for me, because I couldn't get to it in time, when I was getting it ready to swap in, I noticed gritt on the ring gear and spider gear case. I'm guessing it had been dropped in the dirt as it was moved from under the donor vehicle. I tried to wipe it off and flush it out with soapy water and then WD40. Obviously it didn't work to my satisfaction. i don't have the funds to rebuild this diff, but I need the gear ratio so I'm wondering, could I pull out the ring and carrier bearings and clean them say in a ultra sonic cleaner and reassemble it with the same shims, Or would everything need to be reset and all?

Also the front diff, the stub axle on the passenger side I noticed has a little play on the X and Y axis how much is too much? I assume the onl probable cause is a bad  bearing.

I know I know, I really should rebuild both diffs with new ninja gears and set up kits, but I don't have the money for even the parts right now, let alone the cost of labor or for the tools to do it properly my self. I'm in a bit of a pickle.

calux

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 93
  • Member since Aug '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Can a 3rd member be cleaned, and re assembled?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 14, 2020, 11:47:20 AM »
if you're talking about the standard 8" 3rd then you would probably need to check the backlash and pattern if you're taking the carrier apart to get to the bearings and ring gear.  On the other hand, if it's not a major amount of grit you might be able to get away with leaving everything in place and just trying to get as much of your favorite parts cleaner in there followed by some gear lube on the bearings and other moving parts.  my instinct would be to take the whole thing apart and inspect for wear and replace bearings, dial in the pattern, etc. but it sounds like you don't have the time.

one person you could try asking would be Ken Francisco AKA Zuk from http://gearinstalls.com/   the guy is the best bar none when it comes to 8" gear and locker installs