Author Topic: Gearing front axle, installing rear third member  (Read 1459 times)

brakeman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 42
  • Male Posts: 67
  • Member since Nov '05
  • 1985 4Runner+35's+EFI= MUD SLINGER
    • View Profile
Gearing front axle, installing rear third member
« on: Jan 15, 2006, 08:00:42 PM »
hey there i am just finishing up getting new rotors and putting everything back on and then i am going to start my knuckle rebuild and gearing my front axle. I wanted to know if i had to pull my axles apart to get to the third member. If so what stuff might i run into that i should look out for?

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
you will need to pull the axleshafts out slightly to pull the third member..... you jsut remove the brakes and the 4 bolts holding the backing plate on.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
hey there i am just finishing up getting new rotors and putting everything back on and then i am going to start my knuckle rebuild and gearing my front axle. I wanted to know if i had to pull my axles apart to get to the third member. If so what stuff might i run into that i should look out for?
well you need to leave your hubs off,  you'll see 6 bolts that hold your spindle on,  remove those 6 bolts and then pull the birfield from the knuckle,  theres a flat spot that has to be on top to clear the trunion bearings, now if you are going to rebiuld your knuckles you can go on and remove the steering arm and lower cap now,  but once the shafts are pulled out you are free to remove the 12mm nuts from around the 3rd member and pull it out

if you arent familiar with setting up diffs  for backlash and  pinion depth  you might want a little help

but if you can rebuild a engine its not hard to do
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way