Author Topic: Need input about 4 cyl automatic transmission as a daily driver, not 4 offroad  (Read 3169 times)

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
I have a chance to buy a stock 87 4Runner SR5 4cyl with an automatic. How good are the automatics? Are they expensive to replace? I searched & found some old threads but nothing that answered my question. I have a sas'd 4Runner already & I don't need to build another one. It will remain stock & be a daily driver.
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2008, 06:46:24 PM by Tallchevy350 »
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Need input about 4 cyl automatic transmission
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2008, 08:30:33 AM »
i have a buddy with a 4runner  with the auto,  its got  like 250K  and still runs like a top,  he says  he has never had  problems with the auto at all,  and  besides  super steep climbs  it does fine offroad
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2008, 06:06:05 PM »
The transmissions are fine they just rob too much power from an already weak on power 4cyl.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

Tallchevy [OP]

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2008, 02:18:38 AM »
Has anyone had to have one replaced? How much was it?
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2008, 08:37:17 AM »
Has anyone had to have one replaced? How much was it?
My buddie had his rebuilt at a local shop. $1200.00 and had to pull it and take it back 3 times because it wasn't right. The spaz at the shop was great, and very friendly about it, but my friend got sick of him never getting it right.
He finally took it to Memphis TN, by the advice of a pirate 4x4 member, and was able to remedy his woes to the tune of $800. If he had only known that in the first place all would have been good, and he wouldn't have missed out on one of the biggest wheeling trips of the year.

I personally wouldn't have had it rebuilt. I would have picked one up used somewhere, put in some new solenoids, and had some fun, but I'm like that. I know they can be found for free to $300 if ya do a lil shoping. I live in Arkansas by the way, so prices will varry some.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2008, 09:52:13 AM »
I had an auto in my 86 turbo 4Runner never had any problems with it, but it does rob you of about 15% of your hp. In a 4cyl. that is already a little weak in power that's a lot, I had the advantage of the turbo to help but had to get the rev's up to even get anything out of it. It was awsome on the road though I could do 70 mph anytime. You don't have the turbo so you will have a little more hp out of the gate since they lower the compression on the turbos. I loved the auto offroad didn't need a crawler box at all, up hill I had no issues except for one time on a very steep hill with a rocky ledge at the top I ran out of power on the ledge, :yikes: but without the turbo I feel I would have been ok with the extra power I would have had since for the most part the turbo is worthless offroad. The only other issue would be downhill offroad, you have to be very good with the e-brake for long steep grades.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2008, 02:10:41 PM »
IMO, just learn stick.  Plus, automatic rigs are hard hard HARD to sell when the time comes.  And they sell for a lot less as well, since most people deduct the price of a whole transmission from its value when shopping.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2008, 11:45:51 PM »
I had a 2wd with the automatic and 22r and it pulled like a sumbitch, surprised the crap outa me.  You do feel more of a loss in the 4by though.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Tallchevy [OP]

• Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2008, 06:45:38 PM »
This one will remain stock. Thanks for the input everyone  :thumbs:

IMO, just learn stick. 

My sas'd 87 4Runner is a stick & I know how to drive it  :twocents:

87 4Runner redo

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
About 4 years ago when I was looking for a 4runner I test drove a couple of automatic 4runners in the shopping process. Compared to all the 5 speeds i test drove I could really notice the power difference. For a DD it seems like it would be fine. the places it really didnt shine were long steep hills, and steep grades on the highway. if the loss in power isnt a problem i would say go for it.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
i prefer auto for a dd... its jsut easier with city driving and on the freeway, can jsut toss on cruise control

just make sure to add aftermarket tranny coolers and make sure to get the filter and fluid changed regularly. also i like to add a shift kit if possible
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~