Author Topic: weird noise  (Read 2079 times)

1990nvyota

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
weird noise
« on: Aug 29, 2007, 12:17:09 PM »
i sasd my toyo and have had no probs with it until i put gears and lockers in it   now i start getting a kind of grinding when i get around 45 mph   im wonderin if its just the gears or maybe a birfield is goin out on it

89toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,003
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
Re: weird noise
« Reply #1 on: Aug 29, 2007, 02:16:07 PM »
where is the grinding coming from?  Does it do it only at 45...or does it just start at 45 and continue to whatever speed you get to?  Why don't you introduce yourself in the newbie section... :welcome:
He who dies with the most toys...still dies.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2007, 05:17:34 PM »
hubs aint locked  its  not a birf

sounds like the installer of the gears  just threw them together and didnt get a proper pattern
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 29, 2007, 06:52:29 PM »
If there is any kind of clunking when you get on/let off of the gas, stop driving it now, and get new gears! If you don't they WILL SHATTER. I have a friend that did this to his ford ranger. He didn't learn the first time, and did the same thing again on his 79 chevy.

1990nvyota [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2007, 09:33:43 PM »
its starts around 45 and keeps doin at ne speed above that   i watched the guy that did my gears and he did a good job   i though t it was a hub so i pulled them and tested out the 4 wheel and everything worked   im just really stumped

89toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 01, 2007, 09:44:09 AM »
The same thing happened to my truck...twice.  Turned out that the first time my gears were fried.  Had such a loud hum on the highway I could barely hear the radio...both times the noise started at about 45-50 and just got louder the faster I drove.  The second time my ring bolts came loose...once again causing my gears to get fried (same noise that time too).  Did you do the break in on the gears AND drain and refill the fluids??  I think that was my problem the first time (and not having a CV rear driveline)...I really think that the guy before me put the gears in and just drove on the highway; not paying attention to the temp of the housing or drain the fluid.  Pull your third and check it out...might save your gears from turning to crap...if that is the problem.  Here is the link to what happened the 2nd time http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35841.0  don't let your gears get this bad...pull your third and check it out!

1990nvyota [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 01, 2007, 01:19:13 PM »
i havnt even put 500 miles on them yet   and i drained the third once already when i put new studs in it   maybe i should take the third back to the guy that did it   

89toy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 01, 2007, 02:02:30 PM »
Did you put the third in or did a shop...if the shop set the gears up and also put the third back in I would definitly take it to them.  Have you been easy on the gas?  http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/diff/ringandpinion.htm  If you didn't do what these directions say (before you changed the oil) you may have already burned the oil...causing the gears to possibly be no good.  Also...is your pinion in the back angled?  If it is I think you need to put more oil in than what it would show...the filler won't be accurate anymore.  To sum it all up...take it back to the guy that did the work.

1990nvyota [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 02, 2007, 09:44:22 PM »
ive been easy on the gas and i put in the third memebers    the  back has a good angle and hasnt given me ne trouble   so im just gonna try changen out the hubs

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 03, 2007, 02:07:57 PM »
ive been easy on the gas and i put in the third memebers    the  back has a good angle and hasnt given me ne trouble   so im just gonna try changen out the hubs

Is the noise coming into play when the truck is in 2wd, hubs unlocked?  If it is, you are wasting your time changing out the hubs.  Chances are, its your rear diff.  Even if the guy got the pattern right, if he didn't torque everything down properly, the gears will come loose, and KABOOM!!! 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

1990nvyota [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 03, 2007, 04:47:23 PM »
its definetely comin from the front i had another guy listen to it and he says that it is the hubs so thats wut im gonna go with

nvtoyin21

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 202
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2008, 09:16:40 AM »
Yo, did you figure it all out or what? It was your wheel bearings right?