Author Topic: thoughts on an electric fan ?  (Read 8036 times)

1983bamayota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Nov '08
  • gettin ready for easter run!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: thoughts on an electric fan ?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 20, 2008, 10:47:02 PM »
i'm not trying to make my truck like a fish. i myself like crawling rocks not playing in the river but each to there own i guess. i guess what i'm saying is the only bad part of having an eletric fan is that it shorts out in the water?

Hawk Thor

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 112
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Nov 21, 2008, 05:06:26 AM »
Thats not a given fact. It depends on the clarity of the water and the fan in question. Starters and alternators can handle being doused in water and then put right back to work. Has anyone here ever started their truck after/during a rivercrossing or mudbog? The fan in my truck handles water well, there is no power to it at the time though. After the truck gets out and heats up a bit I turn the fan back on.

The 2L, like the 22R, is not a tarmac shredding motor. Its barely enough to get me from A-B, 5th gear was a luxury reserved for downhill and when being pushed by strong wind, until I cranked up the diesel flow, widened my exhaust and intake and put in a K&N. When I put on the E-fan I noticed a slight increase in response, its not like an F1 motor but its better. The noise reduction is also very nice.

There must be some reason for the auto manufacturers to use E-fans, increased milage, slightly more power and less drag on the motor. There is also less wear in an E-fan than a mechanical fan. I know so many guys that have seized clutch fans but I´ve never seen anyone with E-fan problems.

wflaw45

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 128
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Nov 21, 2008, 08:20:45 AM »
so what model/year/motor taurus do you get the fan out of?

wflaw45

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 128
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Nov 23, 2008, 06:45:22 AM »
Thats not a given fact. It depends on the clarity of the water and the fan in question. Starters and alternators can handle being doused in water and then put right back to work. Has anyone here ever started their truck after/during a rivercrossing or mudbog? The fan in my truck handles water well, there is no power to it at the time though. After the truck gets out and heats up a bit I turn the fan back on.

The 2L, like the 22R, is not a tarmac shredding motor. Its barely enough to get me from A-B, 5th gear was a luxury reserved for downhill and when being pushed by strong wind, until I cranked up the diesel flow, widened my exhaust and intake and put in a K&N. When I put on the E-fan I noticed a slight increase in response, its not like an F1 motor but its better. The noise reduction is also very nice.

There must be some reason for the auto manufacturers to use E-fans, increased milage, slightly more power and less drag on the motor. There is also less wear in an E-fan than a mechanical fan. I know so many guys that have seized clutch fans but I´ve never seen anyone with E-fan problems.
ive seen a few that have seized up. to much moisture in the air and salt on the road at the beach i guess

DeMented Toys

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 1,151
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Woo-Hoo!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Nov 23, 2008, 07:11:51 PM »
I agree the fan works great at cooling the engine, but why bother if your going to have to worry about the connectors coming loose (mine did that once) and the controll box going. what happens when your on a road trip to the con, or moab when your motor fries.

I wired it up to a constant 12v source (always on) on purpose so that it would help cool down the truck. I thought the eectric fan would be great but its not all its cracked up to be.

Yeah for the price of the black magic fan you would think it would come with a better control system.  I didn't want to solder them on because if I need to pull the fan or radiator then I can't unconnect it...  I could put different connectors inlne on each wire I guess...
Its better than havig it come loose and cost me anther engine though...  Luckily I wasn't out in BFE
Jeff DeMent

-DeMented Toys-

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #35 on: Nov 23, 2008, 07:44:44 PM »
I have a pigtail on my fan for the electrical connection.   

Just added an easily snippable tie-wrap to make sure it doesn't come apart until I want it too.....
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 365
  • Member since Oct '05
  • My truck is 5 years older than me
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Nov 24, 2008, 01:26:43 PM »

I think most auto makers uses electric fans instead of clutch fans because most cars have their engine is sideways  :hammer: except the old mini, they just put the rad in the fender  :talkingn: And at least when A clutch fan seizes it still cools your motor. when your E-fan seizes/ motor craps out you'll be out of luck. My e-fan screwed up on my after i had my rad out and rinsed it out would not turn off, really annoying/loud. I went up to where i keep my parts trucks are, took the original clutch fan off of one of my motors bolted it on and it worked perfect. I commonly use 5th gear in my 22re, I think you may need to regear or its time for you to swap in a 2LT :drool: I wish they were more common over here.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Nov 30, 2008, 11:44:11 PM »
I have ran a black magic in my '90 for over 12yrs now, and water hasn't bothered it.  I wired it directly to the ignition, so it is always on top avoid a failing t-stat or t-stat switch.  I also have it wired up to a separate 12volt source for trail use, i.e, able to turn it off for water x-ings.  I only have to remember to switch it over when  airing down, however since river x-ings are few on the trails it sees anymore it is barely used.  I am not sure if I am going to keep the stock fan or wire up an e-fan on my '91 trail rig.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

colonelangus

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Dec 01, 2008, 04:36:58 PM »
personally i dont trust them ..sure there fine on new cars ,but dont trust aftermarket universal fit..my truck came with an electric fan ..i removed it and put the stock clutch fan back in..
H R PUFF N' STUFF ALWAYS THERE WHEN THINGS GET ROUGH

H.R.PUFF N'STUFF YOU CANT GET A LITTLE IF YOU CANT GET ENOUGH.

aiza22

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jul 02, 2009, 08:19:08 PM »
Mechanical revolving blade fans are made in a wide range of designs. In a home you can find fans that can be put on the floor or a table, or hung from the ceiling, or are built into a window, wall, roof, chimney, etc. They can be found in electronic systems such as computers where they cool the circuits inside, and in appliances such as hair dryers and space heaters.

JoeWelder

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 146
  • Member since Jan '09
  • Tonka
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jul 04, 2009, 02:17:13 PM »
mine came with a efan in it and i hooked it up to a key power with a switch inline so i could leave the switch "on" and it came on and off with the truck but then i could turn it off if needed. but then i ended up getting all the parts for power steering and there wasnt enough room for it so i had to put the clutch fan back in....i dont know what the efan was from but my clutch fan keeps my motor cooler

i never had a problem with wiring or anything but i think its more of a need to need basis....if your crossing rivers, or in some kind of deep water, then id put a efan in.....but if your never in deep water, then i wouldnt worry about it