Author Topic: What are your thoughts and or suggestions for a rear torque arm.  (Read 9041 times)

BadnewsBob

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 350
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
I want to install a torque arm on my truck. I am getting a lot of axle wrap in the rear, Yesterday we went to the woods and I got into some serious spots that required low gear and skinny pedal. I had not gotten my truck into this kind of terrain before but plan on doing much more of it.

I actually torqued my rear so much it spun in the U bolts! The pinion was up almost 45 degrees,  I was lucky I didn't bust the yokes and U joint. I backed against a tree and dumped the clutch to spin it back down. That worked to get me out of the woods and back home.

I have seen arms built that kinda look like a ladder bar put on upside down and fastened to tabs mounted close to the drive shaft, from the axle housing to a cross member on the frame. I think something like that is what I need. Any thoughts? Any picture of what you may have done that I could blueprint from?

I am running 63" chevy springs with a steel 2" lift block and 6 inch shackles, I know the blocks make it worse but I didn't want to use taller shackles to match the front, I suppose I can remove a leaf or two in the front and lower the truck 2" but the truck sets good and the front is really working well as is.
The front packs are a mix of 3 different sets of rears, I think I have six leafs in it now.

What do you think gents and should I maybe look into putting one on the front also.   Thanks. :dunno:
AE2 USN ret
No matter where ya go..... there ya are.
Hillbilly Offroad
84 xtra cab on 63" chevies and RUF 35" KM2s 22R 5 speed DTC 5.29s Locked front and rear.

twistedtoy92

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
I'm all for the Anti-Wrap bars, I'm building one for the 93 and the 85. Check out Pirate, here is a good link!

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/598349-traction-bars-leaf-springs.html
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

BadnewsBob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
That is what I was thinking about. I will see what I can scrap up in the garage for parts.

Think you will run one in the front also?
AE2 USN ret
Hillbilly Offroad
84 xtra cab on 63" chevies and RUF 35" KM2s 22R 5 speed DTC 5.29s Locked front and rear.

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
How can you spin the axle in the U-bolts?   

I'd think the spring perches would stop that.

With the type of torque-bar in the above link, you need to have a CV joint on the tranny side and then  aim the differential at the tranny (about 1 degree off so the u-joint at the diff as some movement)
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

twistedtoy92

• Turtle Points: -255
  • Male Posts: 3,781
  • Member since Dec '06
  • NFM Customs
    • View Profile
I might run a front bar, we will see how it hooks up first and build from there. My front springs are 7 leaf custom pack 2nd/3rd gen rears so they worked well out front before!
2005 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro 380 AWHP @ 24psi
1993 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=72886.msg866982#msg866982
1992 Toyota Pickup http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=49319.msg616251#msg616251
1985 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=60737.msg745263#msg745263

"TRIPLE CASES GETS YOU LAID." -BigMike

"I daily drive this thang everyday." (swapped89)

BadnewsBob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
How can you spin the axle in the U-bolts?   

I'd think the spring perches would stop that.

With the type of torque-bar in the above link, you need to have a CV joint on the tranny side and then  aim the differential at the tranny (about 1 degree off so the u-joint at the diff as some movement)

I don't know but I did. :dunno:

I haven't took it apart or even looked close at it yet, (It's 7 degrees and snow right now) I would expect to find bent perches or something when I look.
AE2 USN ret
Hillbilly Offroad

BadnewsBob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Pulled the axle yesterday, (Bought froze my fingers off!) And found the biggest part of the problem.

I used trailer axle perches, And my lift blocks are hollow steel.

The pads are just slightly smaller in width than the blocks, This has prolly been working up to be a problem for a while. When I was working them hard on that ride New years day, (First hard ride for the truck with this combo) The spring pads squeezed into the blocks allowing the axle to rotate in the u bolts. That's is also why It wouldn't stay even after tightening the u bolts. Oh well my mistake, at least it looks like I didn't destroy anything.

I have new spring perches ordered (and on the way I hope) from Marlin, And new t case seals.

I think it is time to redo my front spring pack to lower it and not run blocks in the rear, I think my truck was a little to high anyway. About 6" lift I would say.

Lower it 2" and build a anti wrap bar for it and I think I'll have that problem fixed and be ready to find the next problem.  That and do the Marlin mod to my stock motor mounts and get rid of the poly mounts. Nothing a day or two working won't fix.

A little :flamer: And some :hammer: :beer: :red_eyes: And back to :driving:
AE2 USN ret
Hillbilly Offroad

BadnewsBob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Pulled the front spring packs and removed one leaf from them and then checked the shackles, I have 5" shackles on it so I drilled a new hole in them to make them 4". I hope it drops it enuff to match the rear without blocks.

Anybody know about how much it might lower my truck in the front by adding a winch and finishing out my exo?
AE2 USN ret
Hillbilly Offroad

emsvitil

• Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Have someone stand on the bumper and see how far it drops........
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

BadnewsBob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Thanks never thought of that, I'll get someone to measure it with me on it, I am a petite 300lbs. :yupyup:
AE2 USN ret
Hillbilly Offroad

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
id think 300 lbs is a bit excessive for a winch and bumper. i cant think of any reason not to run an anti wrap bar, id like to if i ever get around to it. Im curious about the blocks though. iv setup a few different rigs. first gen, second gen, and 4runner. using front drop hanger, 6 and seven leaf ruf packs, 5.5 '' shackles front and 6'' rear and 63's. iv never had a need for blocks to level the truck even on a 4runner. worst case the rear sat a hair lower but no where close to needing blocks. are you running standerd 3+ overload 63's? is this a sas rig with front shackle hangers under the frame? getting ruf and 63's to sit more or less level without blocks shouldn't be to tough. running less than 6 leafs in a ruf pack seams to soft to me, though i know people do it.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

BadnewsBob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Yep 3+ overload. My shackle mount are thru the frame on the front. I had 5.5" shackles on it but dropped that to 4"s  Sunday, Gotta get it back on it's wheels to see.  I had six leafs in the front but took one out. I used the front drop, TG SAS kit, My truck has a 2wd frame under it converted to 4wd. I drilled it and sleeved it to be like a stock 4wd frame..

I wonder if because I moved the rear mount points as far back as I could, 115" WB.  Is that why it sits lower?  Don't know anyone else with this done to theirs locally to compare. BTW the springs are like new with no sag. I will know in a couple days if it's gonna work out with the changes in a couple days, just as soon as I get my spring pads in from Marlin.

Found some cracks in the frame right where it turns up to the front shock mounts, Gonna have to make some plates for that today maybe, It's zero out right now I may wait for tomorrow, Suppose to be in the 30s tomorrow.

I looked at it a while ago and I can't see why moving it back would do anything different. I just need to get it back on it's wheels and go from there.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2014, 01:09:36 PM by BadnewsBob »
AE2 USN ret
Hillbilly Offroad

BadnewsBob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
This is how it sat with the blocks.
AE2 USN ret
Hillbilly Offroad

BadnewsBob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
I did the front axle changes and I think it's gonna sit well without the blocks, I like it lower anyway. The right spring pads and no blocks will fix most of my problems I think but she's still gonna get an anti wrap bar.
AE2 USN ret
Hillbilly Offroad

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
And my lift blocks are hollow steel.
Blocks are the biggest reason you have axle wrap. On all the different spring combos I have ran, I have never had axle wrap.

Another thing you can do to help stop axle wrap is use an anti-wrap leaf in your spring pack. All it is, is another leaf that goes on the top of the pack. You cut the back half off just behind the U-bolts so you just have the front half in the spring pack. Most aftermarket springs come with them.

David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Here is what I am talking about. 4crawler use a bolt on his so he could load the anti-wrap leaf.
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

BadnewsBob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
That I can do.  I have some extra leafs around here some where.

I really gotta get bump stop on it too.

AE2 USN ret
Hillbilly Offroad

HogCanyonHopper

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 7319
  • Male Posts: 1,224
  • Member since Jul '10
    • View Profile
Is that rooster guarding your truck  :ha_ha: I sure as heck wouldn't get near it if it is. Roosters are mean!  :scared:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88478.0
Where are we going? And why are we in a handbasket?

My friend is goin to moan this weekend - RockcrawlinJK

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Here is what I am talking about. 4crawler use a bolt on his so he could load the anti-wrap leaf.

Will this work in the rear too, and what would be the placement of it, front or rear side of the pack? Not that I have an issue in my current truck but just curious.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

BadnewsBob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Is that rooster guarding your truck  :ha_ha: I sure as heck wouldn't get near it if it is. Roosters are mean!  :scared:

Yep that's my guard rooster.......LOL!
AE2 USN ret
Hillbilly Offroad

BadnewsBob [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Sep '11
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Will this work in the rear too, and what would be the placement of it, front or rear side of the pack? Not that I have an issue in my current truck but just curious.

I am thinking about trying it front and back, I would think you would want it on the front side. But that wouldn't help in reverse. A torque arm work both directions.
???????????
AE2 USN ret
Hillbilly Offroad

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Yeah I was thinking the same thing since that's where they put either the little bar or those silly shocks along the front side of the rear spring. Hate to say I've had both of those, the bar worked but the shock was a waste.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

dalton1993

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Apr '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Never seen that method. Clever