Author Topic: What to do with 2 toys...The 84/92 Hybrid Buildup  (Read 1197 times)

93tonkatoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 463
  • Member since Jul '07
  • drive it till it breaks! then break out the tools.
    • View Profile
What to do with 2 toys...The 84/92 Hybrid Buildup
« on: Sep 10, 2007, 04:29:47 PM »
Ok, I got my recently acquired 84 4WD SR5 X-cab 22r 5sp to the house today. Took some pics to post, so here:

Said I got some extra parts. This is only about a third. Will have to sort it all out and see what I need. Then I'll be putting the rest for sale-trade-whatever.

My initial thought is to use the 84 body (cab), axles, transfer case and build the truck on my 92 swb 2WD frame, using the 92 engine and tranny. The 84 frame has some rust - not real bad - and the 92 frame is totally clean. I have been thinking about swapping the std cab to a x-cab for a while, because of the extra room. Then building a custom flatbed. (the 92 i purchased brand new, so I know the engine and know it's good. The 84 engine was partially rebuilt, but stopped and I am pretty sure the pistons are locked up.)

Planning for 35's, probably 4.88's locker in the rear, dual gearboxes (yes got an extra t/c with the truck) rotated, 22r-e 5sp, A/C!!!, and whatever else i come up with along the way.

Ok, any questions, advice, things to consider? Post up. Ready for some thoughts.

:hyper:

« Last Edit: Sep 10, 2007, 09:29:14 PM by 93tonkatoy »
It ain't worth doin' if you don't have to clean up afterwards!

Build it, break it, fix it, repeat until your wallet is empty.

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

fatt_matt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Male Posts: 545
  • Member since Mar '07
  • jeeps and toys can get along
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with 2 toys...
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2007, 04:58:43 PM »
good find my friend
Jeep

sinbob

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 185
  • Member since Feb '07
  • Buddy may u hav lots of fishies to chase
    • View Profile
Re: What to do with 2 toys...
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2007, 05:32:05 PM »
:thumbs: yah great find good luck????
85 flatbed, 22RE,Downey air, redtop, dual 2.28 crawler, high steer, Marlin clutch, 5.29's, ARB rear, lockright front, Warn hubs, wrangler 4" front-skyjacker 4" r-springs w/6" shackels, flip kit, 35x12.5x15 MTR's, sliders, belly, exocage.
:support our troops :usa:
They told me I had to grow old, but they never told me I had to grow up. :cheer:
"life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away" :bananasplit:
Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain :dancing:

93tonkatoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
This is my initial to do list, but as we all know, anything can change. No order to this yet; just trying to think of all of it.

Strip the 92 2WD frame (including IFS, torsion bars, bed, cab, rear axle, springs, hangers...)all that should be left is the engine trans and fuel tank - and i might replace that, too.

Remove all running gear from 84. axles, transfer case, springs, driveshafts
SAS front for 84 axle, Rear springs, hysteer. 92 has manual steering - source a ps pump and steering box
chevy's for the rear, custom hybrid pack relocated hangers and shackles
Remove and lift body mounts, moving rear cab mount for x-cab install. (want the extra seating - kids)
remove wiring harness, computer, and the rest of the :pokinit: from the 92 cab
If possible, swap the 92 dash into the 84 cab. (maybe, we'll see. May do a custom)
purchase dual t/case adapter from Marlin :bling: rotated, of course.
electric fan conversion

What I know I need to buy:

marlin's sas crossmember and shackle relocator
10k winch w/ fairlead
35x15x15 m/t   not sure what brand yet
MC07-R10
crossmember to work with rotated adapter
front axle beef kit. with knuckle gussets and rebuild kit
4.88 R&P sets F&R, or just 1 and a locked 3rd w/ gears
Plenty of tubing for mild exo/sliders/flatbed
More wire for the lincoln
2nd job for the money.  :yupyup:

So, what i'm shooting for here is a 84 x-cab sr5 swb 22r-e 5sp dual reduction 4WD.
and i want to build it to be dependable enough to be a DD (not that it will be used every day).
I'm sure there's more, but it'll have to come later

any comments?

I shall infuse thy Jeep with the Essence of Toyota...and maybe that one won't pee on itself at the first sight of granite. - Duffil

SAVE TELLICO post 491

93tonkatoy [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '07
    • View Profile
Re: The 92/84 Hybrid buildup
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2007, 03:01:09 PM »
ok, time to revive this one.

I am going to build the 92 with the 84 transfer and axles, but I need a few questions answered.

1. Will 4wd axle shafts interchange with the 2wd of the same year? To convert the 2wd rear to 6 lug? If not, what all would need to be changed?

2. The 2wd transmission crossmember is welded to the frame and will need to be replaced/ moved to allow mounting of the t/case (going with dual gearboxes). Any suggestions on what to replace it with. I know the budbuilt x-member is bolt-on in the original crossmember bolt holes.

SAVE TELLICO post 491