Author Topic: anyone know how to put a jeep 4.0 ina reg cab toyota  (Read 4454 times)

furrballs95

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 124
  • Male Posts: 302
  • Member since Oct '05
  • boot scoot put in 4low and boogie
    • View Profile
anyone know how to put a jeep 4.0 ina reg cab toyota
« on: Oct 04, 2007, 06:24:19 PM »
anyone ever put a jeep 4.0 in a toyota reg cab.  my 3.0 sucks
95 Toyota p/u 3.0 v6. Marlin SAS with 5"springs, 30 spline bobby longs, and a welded V6 third in a trussed 85 front axle. 529's front and rear, Marlin rear kit with 5" springs, lockrite rear locker,  36"  IROCKS on 15x10 black rock crawlers, custom front and rear bumpers,

Blingn

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 155
  • Male Posts: 2,356
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
when u do let me know. I got both!

Blingn

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile

Blingn

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile

Blingn

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
this is a quote from the builder

But, the straight six is hard to get into the Toyota Engine compartment. I clearanced the firewall about 2.5 inches and had to raise the floor tunnel up. It is also very tight on the left side of the engine with the steering shaft and brake booster components.

Plus I built my own front frame section so i don't know how much clearance problems there might be with the stock frame.

You also have to think about trans. choices. I don't know if there are adapter plates made for using Toyota transmissions.

Then you'd also need Jeep computer and wiring, etc..

There are much easier swap choices available with aftermarket parts support.

JZ

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 87
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
    • Heres the Yota
i know the best way, put the 4.0L on a engine hoist and then pull your truck in. now you are ready to put it in the back of your truck to take it to the scrapper. :biggthumpup: :ha_ha: :acclaim:

you knew that was coming  :rofl2:

Blingn

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
:yupyup:

you could try the bigmike engine swap :thumbs:  have you checked out his build ???

furrballs95 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
i just always like the 4.0 inline i think its a great motor. and that guy on pirate did alot more complex of a build then i would wanna do just for a motor swap.  i alrady got my SAS and my whole suspention done, now i just need a motor. i was also thinking about a ford 302 or a 350 i dunno.  my 3.0 is just a total peice, all it does is miss and run like crap.   36,s and 5.29's and the 3.0 just cant do it, i mean i can but its suck i need some more grunt :headscratch:
95 Toyota p/u 3.0 v6. Marlin SAS with 5"springs, 30 spline bobby longs, and a welded V6 third in a trussed 85 front axle. 529's front and rear, Marlin rear kit with 5" springs, lockrite rear locker,  36"  IROCKS on 15x10 black rock crawlers, custom front and rear bumpers,

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
Maybe he slips and spins too much in the winter...instead of taking it to the scrap yard he could leave it in the back for weight, better traction in the snow.....................

But yeah, my serious suggestion is a 3RZ 2.7L 4cyl like BigMike did, a Chevy 4.3 Vortec V6 (in my opinion the V8 is too big n heavy), or maybe a VolksWagon 1.9L TDI turbo-diesel for fantastic fuel economy.
The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Maybe he slips and spins too much in the winter...instead of taking it to the scrap yard he could leave it in the back for weight, better traction in the snow.....................

But yeah, my serious suggestion is a 3RZ 2.7L 4cyl like BigMike did, a Chevy 4.3 Vortec V6 (in my opinion the V8 is too big n heavy), or maybe a VolksWagon 1.9L TDI turbo-diesel for fantastic fuel economy.

X2

The aforementioned swaps are all more common, with easy to come by adapters, wiring kits ect and why would you want to put Heep or Ford parts in a toyota?!
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
the jeep 4.0 is a great motor but would be an extremely tight squeeze being that its an inline 6.

the chevy 4.3L v6 is a great option to go with. good power, large aftermarket, adapters are already made to bolt it to a toyota tranny (or take a gm tranny and mount it to a marlin crawler crawlbox). good fuel economy from a v6 as well.

2.7L inline 4 from toyota is another great choice. good power and fuel economy.

i wouldnt go with a v8 gasser, too much for one of these little trucks really.

or you could go with a diesel. motors that fit easily are:
toyota 1kzt
toyota 1kzte (check out the willy mammoth on this forum for how to do that swap)
nissan sd22, 2.2L that is great on fuel but has no power
nissan sd25T, turbo charged 2.5L, can make decent power

tighter fit diesels but more powerfull:
nissan sd33T, 3.3L turboed that came in the international scout, inline 6 that can make decent power
cummins 4bt, 3.9L inline 4 turbo that came in the box trucks (UPS, Fed Ex, etc). 240-265 ft/lbs of torque stock depending on the year. this motor is HEAVY for these little trucks (about 800-850 pounds if i remember right, a chevy 6.2L or 6.5L diesel is about that) and can easily make too much power for these little trucks to handle (frame snapping kinda torque). stock form for this motor would be wonderfull in these trucks, but requires stronger front leaf springs, and some frame reinforcement would be a very good idea. excellent fuel economy and an incredibly long life span though. tight fit vertically, body lift might be needed.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
and why would you want to put Heep or Ford parts in a toyota?!
BLASHPHEMOUS!!! 
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Colt

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 196
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Hello red, hello furrballs95,

i would recommend an 1kzt instead of the 1kzt-e because of the wiring...  :sheerterror:

why don`t go on an toyota 3L? Thats an 2.8L diesel with nearly 100hp. You can add a turbo for something about 130hp (like 1kzt). And it is stronger than the 1kzt or 1kzte...

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
I love my  :thumbs: V8 350, turbo 400, Dana 300 but hate the body lift  :thumbdown:

furrballs95 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
i'm probably going to go with a 350 or a 305, but i dunno i went wheelin this past weekend and the 3.0 ran great 80 down the highway never missed once.

here's a pic of the truck 

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Sweet rig furrballs95  :biggthumpup:

My girlfriend has the same truck you do but an extended cab and mostly stock. 3.0s arent too terrible of an engine, we bought hers from the second owner with 100k origional miles on it and it has been a great truck, runs like a champ. A lot of 3.0s if not well taken care of are just a ticking time bomb though. They arent all bad though.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
i know the best way, put the 4.0L on a engine hoist and then pull your truck in. now you are ready to put it in the back of your truck to take it to the scrapper. :biggthumpup: :ha_ha: :acclaim:

you knew that was coming  :rofl2:

That was the 1st thing that popped into my head.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

furrballs95 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
thnx fortysixandtwo :thumbs:

yaits like if i could just get the 3.0 to run good all the time i would probably stick with it until it grenades but it just keep missing i've changed all the plugs,wires,cap,rotor, all the sensors i just don't get it.

Steve97TJ

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 133
  • Member since Mar '07
  • boss said pound it!
    • View Profile
Dont put a jeep motor in a toyota. I drive both and will actually be putting the I6 in my jeep to replace my worn, POC 2.5 4banger that came in it. I love the I6 its a good motor but its just wrong to put it in a toyota. Id do a 3rz. Never heard a bad thing about them.
98 Taco
97 TJ 
Stephen from SC

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
Just say no to a "Jeepyota".  The 2.7 is great - close to the 3.0 V6 in power, fantastic gas mileage, and finding a used one is a snap(just look for totaled Tacomas.  Smashed-in side or rear end and being sold by the owner because they got their insurance check(engine fine)?  Must see one of those a month here in Los Angeles, and I'm not really looking, either.

Or put a V6 from a modern 4 Runner in there - that's bucketloads of power. (5VZ-FE) - 190hp(+40)/220(+40)lb-ft of torque.  Won't kill your pocket or bend your frame/require half of the truck be modded to handle to power)

edit - going up ~25% In HP and ~20% in torque won't require anything being changed at all in the drive train, since that's well within the limits of the components(near the upper end, but still okay)

edit2:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=137361&perpage=30&pagenumber=1
It seems to be a pretty easy swap as well.
« Last Edit: Oct 09, 2007, 11:48:13 AM by Plekto »

furrballs95 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
ya a 3.4 would be sweet but i ts hard to come buy here in pa. what about a 4.3 chevy

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
4.3 chevy has been done a lot, Fireball has done it, Trackvino has done it, 4.3 headache has done it, and those are all people on the board :thumbs:

I'd say go with the 4.0 :thumbs:

As much :pokinit: talking that goes on with inter brand motor swaps, If the motor is good, and you think you can do it, go for it! :thumbs: 

:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

furrballs95 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
thnx blackdog. ya the more i think about it i'm kinda leanin tword a 4.3.  cause it seems like more of a simple swap then anything else. caouse if i go v8 then i gotta do the tranny anf tcase, but my v6 tranny and case will hold up fine to a 4.3.  i just dont know were to get an adapter plate? :headscratch: