Author Topic: Finally got a diesel Tow rig  (Read 3621 times)

brc

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Famous last words - Hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
Finally got a diesel Tow rig
« on: Jul 02, 2007, 09:36:57 AM »
I just picked it up this weekend.  I got a 99 CTD 2500 quad cab short bed with the "sport" package.  Its got 90K on it and I got a pretty good deal on it.

Should get a little better mileage then the 1 Ton with the 460 pulling the cruiser or 4 runner around.

Another note I am currently seeling my 1978 F-350 extended cab truck if anyone is interested shoot me a message the truck is located in WA state.
1999 CTD 2500 Sport TST/MBRP/AFE/K&N and Quadzilla 315's yada-yada-yada
1985 Four runner 5in lift 35's lockers etc.
1973 FJ buggy project INWK 3RZ SM420 Mini Axles and Aluminum tub/cowl building to be light weight

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
Re: Finally got a diesel Tow rig
« Reply #1 on: Jul 02, 2007, 04:52:43 PM »
Good choice on a truck. You might think about throwing a fuel pressure guage on it just to keep an eye on the pump.  :thumbs:
"between projects"

brc [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 03, 2007, 06:59:10 AM »
I plan to order the ISSOPRO guage set for it.  I want a boost, egt, tranny, and fuel pressure guage.

We will see I am putting 35's under it next week.

I already ordered a TST POWER MAX - K&N - 4in Exhaust for it. 

It has a leveling kit on it and I borrowed a 315 off my buddies truck and it fits so I am going to 315's.

I am just glad that I won't be getting <8mpg when towing.
1973 FJ buggy project INWK 3RZ SM420 Mini Axles and Aluminum tub/cowl building to be light weight

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Jul 03, 2007, 11:28:04 AM »
excellent motor in that truck. do you have the auto or manual?
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 03, 2007, 01:16:59 PM »
It has a leveling kit on it and I borrowed a 315 off my buddies truck and it fits so I am going to 315's.

How do the tires look when turned to lock in the front? I have 295s on mine and they are close to rubbing but still have a bit of clearence. I wouldn't mind 315s on my next set but I'm just nervous about rubbing.
"between projects"

brc [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 05, 2007, 10:29:06 AM »
It has an ATS built auto in it.  It has about 12K miles on the tranny.  I just put 1100 miles on it yesterday towing a 22ft enclosed car trailer.  I had to drive to Vancover WA and pick up cabinets for our house.  I got 17.9 mpg towing the trailer down and back. 

I was really happy.  The only thing I have done to it since I bought it besides fluid and filter changes was install the 4in exhaust K&N intake/filter and TST power max box.  I haven't turned the box up yet as I do not have my guages yet so I have been running it on "0".  I did try one take off with it set to "5" out of a possible "10" setting and you could DEFINATELY feel the difference and the tires chirped between L1 and L2. 

I think the 315's will fit but all I did was install them on the truck for a minute to look at because I took them off my buddies CTD w/5 1/2 in lift and they look really small on his truck.

My friend with the CTD said he changes his fuel filter about every 10K how often do you all change your fuel filters?

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 05, 2007, 12:07:25 PM »
Be careful with the TST box ESPEACALLY with no guages. I know a guy that had no other mods to his truck and he turned the box up to 9 and 9 and stood on it. He had a guage and he said he hit 1600 really easliy. That box is great espeacially for slowly adding mods to the motor but it will kill parts if you don't keep an eye on the temps.

I usually try to change my filter every couple of oil changes so you'd be alright with every 10k
"between projects"

brc [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 05, 2007, 12:28:53 PM »
Yeah I was scared of burning things up till I can get guages to monitor it all. 
How does yours pull the cruiser?  I have a brake controller to install into mine to help stop heavy loads.  Other than that any mods you would suggest?  I want to keep it reliable so I am not going to go stupid with turning it up or anything.  Getting stupid is what I am building the cruiser for. 

Hows the Rockwell's coming freds40?

brc [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 07, 2007, 12:13:44 PM »
Driving locally 30miles round trip to work in 55mph and 35mph I am getting 21.9mpg on the over head monitor.  But, I know it is off because when I am running 47 on the speedometer I am running right with cars in the 55mph zone.  I am still in dis belief over the MPG's.  I just seems awesome I got 200 miles on the first quarter tank of fuel from filling up after my trip. 

I made an appointment with Northwest Cummins to get the valves adjusted.  I understand they are supposed to be adjusted at 100K. 

I am going to do a transmisson fluid and filter change on it as well this week.

I sold my F-250 it sat in my yard for 2 hrs before some dude stopped and looked and said he would take it.

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 08, 2007, 02:09:45 PM »
Yeah I was scared of burning things up till I can get guages to monitor it all. 
How does yours pull the cruiser?  I have a brake controller to install into mine to help stop heavy loads.  Other than that any mods you would suggest?  I want to keep it reliable so I am not going to go stupid with turning it up or anything.  Getting stupid is what I am building the cruiser for. 

Hows the Rockwell's coming freds40?

Mine does pretty good dragging the Cruiser around. I had 3.54s in it originaly and with the 295s, big injectors, and big turbo, I had to run 60 up hill to keep the turbo happy. The truck will do it no problem but the problem arose when I was doing 60 up hill and had to turn while trying to maintain momentum. Any way, I recently threw 4.10s in and I'll have my first tow test next weekend of a buddy's rig. We'll see how it goes.

For towing with your truck, main things to do is guages and a brake controller. If you are towing a rig on a trailer with out many if any mods, you are usually "safe" without guages for a bit as with light mods, you usually don't make things too angry on the truck. Sounds like your tranny is all set which is another area to look @ on these trucks. Last one isn't a necessity but makes it nice is an exhaust brake. On autos, they tend to roll a bit more than a manual truck so an exhaust brake takes some of the wear away from the truck and trailers service brakes on long down grades.

The Cruiser is coming along. TH efront suspension is just about buttoned up ant then it's on to the rear. Not a lot of work to do but 2 kids (3yrs. and 4 mos) definately limit the available work time. No biggie, my 3 yr. old is just ready to wheel and camp so that helps my cause a bit.
"between projects"

brc [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 12, 2007, 10:51:48 AM »
I ended up ordering the Quadzilla commander since it will monitor 7 functions I also ordered the fule pressure sending unit for it so I will have EGT-TRANS-BOOST-FUEL PRESS.  I will automatically defuel at my preset paramiters.  I like the fact it is all displayed on a 4in LCD screen and will be mounted on the pillar.  I just didn't want to end up with 3 guages on the pillar and one on the column.  We will see how it works.  I have 4.11 gears in my truck and it has 285's for now headed fro 315's.

As far as towing with mine I pulled a V-8 FJ55 on my buddies 26ft equipment trailer and the truck did well.  I had the TST @ "O" though I didn't want to hurt anything with the box on till the Quadzilla gets here. 

I feel your pain with time and kids.  Both mine are in Softball and we are gone at least 4 nights a week with games and practices.  Mine are a little more self  sufficient though they are 13 and 8.

I want to drag the cruiser down to Cali next spring or summer for a couple of weeks and wheel. 

I leave in the Diesel the first of Aug headed to Colorado for a class for 6 weeks.  Can you say road trip:)

Thanks for the info freds40

weirdtimes_7

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 12, 2007, 10:53:12 AM »
:worthless:

military_stang
:respect:

brc [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 02, 2007, 12:21:29 PM »
Just a little update

I got back from my class in CO.  I couldn't believe it I filled up with diesel in Spokane WA-filled up again in Billings Montana and drove the rest of the way to Colorado Springs.  Less than 2 tanks of fuel for 1280 miles.  One thing I discovered is if I keep the rpm's below 2K I get almost 3 MPG better. 

I just finished building a new front and rear bumper for it and installed a 12K winch on the front.  The truck is coming along slow but sure.

I also installed the quadzilla commander.  I am REALLY glad I went that way.  I am monitoring EGT-Boost-Fuel pressure-T/case temp all at the same time (4 at a time on the LCD screen).  Also swapped out the factory speakers and installed amp and box, installed the CB and new brake controller. 

Overall I am really happy with the truck.  While I was in CO the wife sold the 88 mini truck I used to drive back and forth to work so the CTD is my daily driver.

On another note the 78 crew cab one ton I sold is sitting in my shop right now the guy who bought it brought it back and wants me to install a 7.3 in it.  I just pulled the 460 and C-6 out yesterday.  He bought a totaled 99 with the 7.3 in it as a complete vehicle (it was a roll over).  We'll see how this turns out I am on leave starting in middle of OCT and I will be putting it in.

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: Oct 02, 2007, 03:58:14 PM »
you will get best fuel economy at 1600-1800rpms.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

brc [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 03, 2007, 06:15:11 AM »
I agree with the 1600-1800 rpm's, but with the 4.11's @80mph it is kind of hard to keep the rpm's that low.