Author Topic: Stupid Transmission Question  (Read 1614 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Stupid Transmission Question
« on: Aug 22, 2007, 06:23:54 PM »
I know this is a simple question, but here goes anyway.  Is the red arrow in the picture pointing to the fill hole?  I just had my transmission rebuilt and put in some Redline MT-90 and would like to verify the fluid level more than just adding the correct amount via the shifter.  The plug doesn't seem to be metric and is extremely tight (I have not managed to break it free) considering it was just removed during the rebuild.

What am I doing wrong?   :hammerhead:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid Transmission Question
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2007, 06:31:10 PM »
that is the fill hole... it would not have had to have been removed during the rebuild because they had no reason to put fluid in it

i say even after its the right level to add a little bit more, i have heard there really isnt anything bad that can happen from it, if it is really bad, it will jsut push a litthe through the vent
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 22, 2007, 06:41:44 PM »
that is the fill hole... it would not have had to have been removed during the rebuild because they had no reason to put fluid in it

i say even after its the right level to add a little bit more, i have heard there really isnt anything bad that can happen from it, if it is really bad, it will jsut push a litthe through the vent

How is it possible to do a complete rebuild with bearings and syncros without draining the oil?  I know they pumped fluid in through the shifter, but it sounded like they filled it up until it ran out the fill hole.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Aug 22, 2007, 06:43:08 PM »
This is a good fill point too....
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

notajeep

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -108
  • Male Posts: 703
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawler #3289
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 22, 2007, 08:25:03 PM »
Split the case, out comes the oil... Or just use the drain plug.... Either way, why use the fill hole?
You have a Jeep?  That's cute.... So does Barbi.

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2007, 08:39:37 PM »
I loaded mine through the fill hole till it was pouring out and capped it real quick. :twocents:

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2007, 09:19:32 PM »
that's what I do.
I like to Drive!

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2007, 10:30:13 PM »
I have a new leak that I am having trouble determining if it is the synthetic oil in the engine or the MT-90 in the transmission.  Colors are similar and the single grade MT-90 isn't "thick" and doesn't have the classic gear oil smell.  All fluids are still looking new so color doesn't help.  By smell I would guess engine oil, but location has me thinking transmission fluid.  The dipstick seems steady so I want to check the transmission level and see what it is doing and verify that it has the correct amount of fluid.  I added about 3.2-3.5 quarts through the shifter when I changed to the MT-90.

blackdiamond [OP]

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 23, 2007, 05:16:20 PM »
Finally broke the drain plug loose using a class III receiver as a breaker bar, it was really on tight.  The good news is that there is plenty of fluid so I can't measure any loss and the engine is over filled a tiny bit so it is difficult to know if it is dropping.  I'll just have to wait knowing that everything is properly lubricated.