Author Topic: 4Runner question  (Read 1641 times)

RobD

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
4Runner question
« on: May 13, 2007, 12:12:23 PM »
I apologize up front if I have posted this in the wrong area. I am looking at getting an older 4runner with the removable top. The question that have is that for the next 2 years, I am going to need to use it as a commuter vehicle for a 200 mile a day round trip (Stock size tires until I am done commuting)..

I want to look into doing an engine swap on the one I eventually buy. My buddy who drives an 86 4runner said to go with the newer 4 cylinder engine for better gas mileage and power. Is there anywhere I can get info on this swap and how easy or difficult it will be. After the 2 years of commuting, I am going to turn this 4Runner into a trail only crawler...

Any suggestions on what to look for when buying a used 4Runner...
2000 TJ, 5.5" RE LA lift, 1"BL, Atlas 4:3, Full width HP 44 front, 63 " wms 44 rear with 35 spline axles, Antirock, ARB's front and rear, 37" MTR's, and many other mods.

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 287
  • Male Posts: 2,452
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: 4Runner question
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 12:59:53 PM »
Not trying to sound mean BUT you need to read up, there is a lot of info on this board to answer all your questions.
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 01:13:02 PM »
Not trying to sound mean BUT you need to read up, there is a lot of info on this board to answer all your questions.

Why not get him some links?  :dunno:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
"Never make your passion your occupation. it will loose it's luster and become work. that's why i never wanted to become a gynecologist!"

I also taught him how to put in 5min of hard work and then spend 15min staring and admiring what you have done...

Gittinit

• throttle jockey!
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 28
  • Male Posts: 2,293
  • Member since Sep '06
  • out from under my rock, and ready to roll
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 07:20:23 PM »
I apologize up front if I have posted this in the wrong area. I am looking at getting an older 4runner with the removable top. The question that have is that for the next 2 years, I am going to need to use it as a commuter vehicle for a 200 mile a day round trip (Stock size tires until I am done commuting)..

I want to look into doing an engine swap on the one I eventually buy. My buddy who drives an 86 4runner said to go with the newer 4 cylinder engine for better gas mileage and power. Is there anywhere I can get info on this swap and how easy or difficult it will be. After the 2 years of commuting, I am going to turn this 4Runner into a trail only crawler...

Any suggestions on what to look for when buying a used 4Runner...

For what you are wanting I suggest you start with an IfS 4runner, because of your commuting needs.There is a stand alone wiring harness offered by ORS that would be a great way to do the "newer 4cyl" swap.
Hug your kids, pray for a soldier, and don't sweat the small stuff.

my favorite places:
http://www.flatnasty.net/
http://www.orvpark.com/

– fortysixandtwo – sorry, i prefer marlin because aside from gittinit, no one is a know it all a hole

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 07:27:09 PM »
go with a 3rz, or 2rz, easy swaps, and its been done a few times to say the least

great power, great torque, good economy, and a factory supported supercharger on the 3rz!!!!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 07:36:08 PM »
well it  does sound mean,  :slap:    you should know  the search feature  kinda sucks here,  besides  this aint pbb

dude,  the swap  you are looking for is  the 3RZ  swap,  heres all the info you need
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4401.0
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 01:51:53 AM »
well it  does sound mean,  :slap:    you should know  the search feature  kinda sucks here,  besides  this aint pbb

dude, 

:ha_ha: Dont be mad :smooch: I was just getting off of a 14 hour shift :hammer: and feeling a little cranky :sleeping: :idiot: I apologize. Go with a 3rz swap you wont be dissapointed, as far as a DD go with a vehicle that you know will be dependable, preferably a runner with a 22re 88,89 model year. the only down side to those years are the ifs front ends just because it will cost more down the line to do a swap. if you can find a 84,85 model with a 22re swap that would be your best bet.

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 08:10:49 AM »
i drove my 87 runner for a year ifs, while slowly colecting parts for a sas

worked out well

Ewong

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 08:32:12 AM »
Drove an 89 Gen1 4Runner for 10+ years as a DD - over 350K on the odo...

Helps that Im the original (and sole) owner :)
yeah yeah - still IFS...

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2007, 08:03:55 AM »
Man I thought this place was for information not Pirate Bashing :gap:

Here's another good thread on the swap.....

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=19275.0
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

AaronB

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Wish I Was Crawling
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2007, 10:54:22 AM »
Man I thought this place was for information not Pirate Bashing :gap:

Here's another good thread on the swap.....

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=19275.0

:lipsrsealed: geeze, allright allready. I apologized :moon:

Cant we all just get along :hammer:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2007, 04:07:27 PM »

Cant we all just get along :hammer: