Author Topic: Clutch Pedal "ping" sound  (Read 5685 times)

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
Clutch Pedal "ping" sound
« on: Feb 28, 2007, 03:29:05 PM »
Hey everybody. I have a 85 4runner with a 22re. About 8 months ago I replaced my clutch with a centerforce dual friction. works awesome. anyway, about 2-3 months ago i started hearing this sound when I would depress the clutch pedal. Almost all the way to the floor the pedal would make this loud "Ping" noise. It doesnt seem to affect how the clutch works its just really annoying. It makes the sound pretty much every time I use the clutch. i have gotten down and looked and tried to see if something was getting caught or hitting but i could not determine the origion of the sound. i can feel the "ping" itself caused by the sound when i push the pedal in with my foot. Also i might note, is that if i push the clutch in then dont release it all the way, but push it back down again, it doesnt make the noise. Only when I have lifted my foot all the way off the pedal and then depressed it again.

I dont know if this is indicitive of something that will eventualy break, or if it is just some aspect of the 22 year old parts connected with the clutch pedal. Hopefuly someone here has had this happen to them, because I am at a complete loss. I cant find anything related in searches or my manuals, and ive scoured around the pedal countless times to no avail. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!  :beerchug:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
Re: Clutch Pedal "ping" sound
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2007, 03:47:57 PM »
Mine just started making a similar obnoxios ping last week that i can feel in my foot, but only when i release my foot off of the petal.   And it only does it when the pedal was all the way on the floor.  Not sure about your's but mine is definatly comming from inside the cab.  I'm pretty sure  its the return spring and or linkage: going to clean and regrease it this weekend and see if it helps.

:twocents:
I like to Drive!

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2007, 04:01:50 PM »
There is a posibility the throw out bearing is going or there is a damper spring broken in the disk itself. I know you aren't going to want to here this, but the best thing to do would be to pull it apart before some real damage is done.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2007, 04:03:43 PM »
That definatly sounds much worse than mine.  Hopefully that isn't it.
I like to Drive!

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2007, 04:06:21 PM »
Mine just started making a similar obnoxios ping last week that i can feel in my foot, but only when i release my foot off of the petal.   And it only does it when the pedal was all the way on the floor.  Not sure about your's but mine is definatly comming from inside the cab.  I'm pretty sure  its the return spring and or linkage: going to clean and regrease it this weekend and see if it helps.

Well that is the thing, It doesnt sound like its coming from the clutch itself, but within the cab. I just cant figure it out because when sitting there staring at all the clutch pedal components and pressing the pedal with my hand, i cant narrow down where precisly the sound is coming from. I was thinking the return spring myself, i dont know though. Im going to have another look at it. If you happen to figure anything out wermz, let me know (and i will do the same)!!  :biggthumpup:
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2007, 04:18:27 PM »
Sounds good   :thumbs:
I like to Drive!

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2007, 04:27:41 PM »
Mine used to do the same thing.  I did what wermz said, cleaned the linkage, and greased it up, and it doesn't do it anymore :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Yota Up

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2007, 05:08:12 PM »
I had the same thing on my 86.  Drove me nuts.  I'd be upside down in the seat, hitting the clutch with my hand.  Hard to tell.  Never gave me any problems, though.

I always suspected it was the spring catching on something then returning.

46&2 [OP]

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2007, 06:12:48 PM »
Sweet, well then looks like ive got some cleanin' to do.....thanks folks. appreciate it.  :thumbs:

olemisstoy88

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -381
  • Male Posts: 521
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2007, 06:42:52 AM »
i think its the spring, mine did that for a while. it was catching of some underdash metal. I put a plastic sleave over the spring and its been quiet ever since
88. 4x2  Total chaos 6.5" caddy uniball kit  Racerunner 2.5 x 14" coilovers on front, 62" deavers, fabbed engine/shock cage, bed cage, roll cage and great frame, complete int., (5) 5x4.5 outlaw II w/235 buckshots <----- parting out! make offer

'84 4x4 . 5 speed 22r  3.5" lift  33x10.5s bfg MTs  Hannamann Glass frontcap, 32/36weber, LCE swirlie plate, Magnaflow,
"Im madder than Toby Keith at a Dixie Chicks concert"

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 01, 2007, 10:04:40 AM »
i think its the spring, mine did that for a while. it was catching of some underdash metal. I put a plastic sleave over the spring and its been quiet ever since

I like that idea.  gonna check that out while im under there.
I like to Drive!

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2007, 09:26:49 PM »
Finally got around to getting it done.  The spring was covered in crap from my old leaking master cylinder.  Cleaned it, greased it, Beautiful silence.   it doesn't even creak when I press the pedal anymore.  :yupyup:

I like to Drive!

tufsurf

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 68
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2007, 09:39:59 PM »
Thanx I was wondering what the Heck that friggin super annoying ping in my clutch pedal was!  :beer: :beer: to ya!