Author Topic: Coolant and Oil Problems-1987 22R Toyota Pickup  (Read 15487 times)

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
No I don't have a cover yet.  $91 at Checker, but I am waiting for the high school auto shop to call me back.  They have a 22R for parts and the teacher might sell the timing cover to me.  I don't want to buy another one until I take the old one off so I know for sure that that is the probem.

You said this is a common problem meaning that the chain chews a hole though the timing cover and leaks coolant into the oil?  I hope that is the case becuase that would make my life easier if that is the usual problem.

runyotarun

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
thats what happened to mine!!!!oil was white,crappy thing is i also thought it was just the head gasket and i put it all back together before i found out.i ended up getting a used one and think i actually still have it sitting around after buying a rebuilt engine(whole nother story!!) :hammerhead: :hammer:

runyotarun

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
to add to that, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but i believe coolant in your oil= crank and rod bearing problems later down the road. I am not positive so until someone backs that up,i wouldnt worry too much!! Mine lasted about a year til i spun #4 rod bearing.

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
Yea, the mechanic (my neighbor) that is helping me with the project said that since we don't know how long coolant has been in the oil and that after we are done something in the bottom end will go out (like a bearing).  But I am not too worried about that because I am going to sale the truck in April.  I am serving a 2 year mission for my church and my parents said I have to sale any vehicles before I leave.  When I get back I am planning on buying a 1st gen Tacoma so I have a vehicle to drive to colledge.  After I am out of colledge and get a good job I want to buy a solid axle toyota (probably 1st gen) and make a crawler.

Mega Baby Huey

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 432
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Yea, the mechanic (my neighbor) that is helping me with the project said that since we don't know how long coolant has been in the oil and that after we are done something in the bottom end will go out (like a bearing).  But I am not too worried about that because I am going to sale the truck in April.  I am serving a 2 year mission for my church and my parents said I have to sale any vehicles before I leave.  When I get back I am planning on buying a 1st gen Tacoma so I have a vehicle to drive to colledge.  After I am out of colledge and get a good job I want to buy a solid axle toyota (probably 1st gen) and make a crawler.

he talks big...but when he gets back he'll be as tight butt about money as his dad! (they can't use the dryer cause it "wastes money." yet his parents still pay $20 a month for AOL...I HATE AOL!!!!!
The Art of Flying is Actually Quite Simple! You Just Have to Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss!!!                                   All This Global Warming is Wearing Out My Snow Shovel!!!                        Paved Roads: Just Another Example of Useless Government Spending!                                          Toyota. Moving forward... even if you don't want to...
My Old Toy

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
I hate AOL too!  that's why I use internet explorer.  And I was just lucky that my parents let me buy this truck.  They try to make me spend my money wisely but what they really want is for me to put it all in the bank.  I am just a rebel.  I want to get a really good job, then be tight with my money and use the leftovers for toys!!  Toyota's, quads, snowmobiles, dirt bikes.

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
You can get a new front cover from here, http://www.engnbldr.com/ToyotaHotLicks.htm for $54.00, and a timing set with a metal backed guide like the older 20R motors had for $64.00, to keep the chain from ever doing that again.

And as any computer guy knows, AOL sucketh. My friend uses their promo disks for archery targets.
The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.

Mega Baby Huey

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
It's at Least 10 Times Slower than anything else u can find! If it was my parents paying for AOL I'd uninstall it everytime i got on the computer!
The Art of Flying is Actually Quite Simple! You Just Have to Throw Yourself at the Ground and Miss!!!                                   All This Global Warming is Wearing Out My Snow Shovel!!!                        Paved Roads: Just Another Example of Useless Government Spending!                                          Toyota. Moving forward... even if you don't want to...
My Old Toy

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
Well next time I put a timing chain in a toyota I will get the metal backed guide, but I have already bought and installed the plastic ones.  I am selling my truck in April anyway :(My parents are making me).  And I wish I would have read this before I bought a $90 timing cover from checker.  Oh, well it will be here tomorrow so I can start driving again Thurs.  I haven't had enough time to get on the computer.  Too busy with work, and my truck.

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
Oh, I forgot one thing.  There are 2 differnt types of timing covers.  One is abou a 1/4 inch shorter than the other.  The bolt patterns are identical.  Mine is the shorter one.  Does anyone know when they made the change to the taller ones.  This would mean that the block would be 1/4 inch taller too.

Mega Baby Huey

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Oh, well it will be here tomorrow so I can start driving again Thurs.  I haven't had enough time to get on the computer.  Too busy with work, and my truck.

:rofl2:   :yupyup: :brick:  :rofl:
YEAH RIGHT!!!! More like too busy getting ur butt kicked in Halo 2 by yours truely!!! :banana:
 :bash:  :booya:  :spank:  :bricks:  :stomp:
 :respect:
My Old Toy

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
Hey well I am done by Thurs. and that is all that really matters.  I am finally finished. 

Mega Baby Huey

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '07
  • Do It!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
or so he thinks...bum bum buuuum
My Old Toy

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
Next on the way 31's.  I am also going to Moab over president's day weekend.  Does anyone have ideas on trails for a stock 87 pickup with a 22R and 31's I am thinking in the 3-3.5 range.

runyotarun

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
not really sure 1995 i think, you can find the correct cover by calling dealer and giving you V I N #

ncrc

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 160
  • Member since Sep '06
  • rollin on 39.5s
    • View Profile
83 to 84  do you have the double roller timing chain in your motor ?

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
no just single
83 to 84  do you have the double roller timing chain in your motor ?

no just single

Yota87Truck [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
Well my Engine Blew the other day :shake_head:  So I am working on buying a rebuilt motor.  I don't want to rebuild it because it is my DD and I need to get it fixed ASAP.  Does anybody have any sugestions on what places I should buy and engine from or any ideas on how to make the swap easier.  I have never pulled an engine so any sugestions would be helpful.

rscalmo

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 118
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
i had the same problem when i rebuilt my 81 22r i was swapping with an 84 and the timing cover was a little off. so im assuming then cause they didnt change in 82 or 83.
rebuilt 22R, downey header long tubes, 2.5" exhaust, 4 inch marlin lift with 3 inch shackles, detriot locker, 4.88's on 33's.marlin cross over steering and fror crossmember, power steering conversion, chromoly 30 spline bobby longs, 86+ wider rear axle, 12 inch 5150's all around, fully gusseted with armor...soon to be sitting on 35 bfg MT with an all pro roll cage and rock lights!

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
the official change was in 85
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~