Author Topic: Sign it  (Read 4594 times)

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 433
  • Male Posts: 460
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Sign it
« on: Mar 07, 2007, 10:49:45 PM »
Here's a petition to sign if you guys don't want an assault rifles ban. 

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348

Probably won't do anything but it's worth a try.....

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Sign it
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2007, 10:57:54 PM »
i am not a fan of guns, if you like them, thats fine... however i dont see the point in owning an assualt rifle.. there is no purpose to have an assualt rifle than to do bodily harm or injury to someone
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2007, 11:10:21 PM »
i am not a fan of guns, if you like them, thats fine... however i dont see the point in owning an assualt rifle.. there is no purpose to have an assualt rifle than to do bodily harm or injury to someone

How about the 2nd amendment?  Also, the ban isn't just on assault rifles, but on pretty much anything deemed "unsporting."  The bill considers M1garands, some semiauto shotguns, the AR15, and others "nonsporting"  and will ban them.  It also calls for national gun registratio, and unlike the clinton bill from what, 1994?  is PERMANENT

:headshake:

I signed it
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2007, 11:16:24 PM »
i dont have a problem with owning guns, but really who needs something so lethal? hell, a handgun will kill someone...

if you were in the military that would be a different story, you are trying to mame people.... but civilians just dont need it... and as far as sporting... hell a sporting/hunting gun will kill people just fine.....

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

motorider228 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2007, 11:17:22 PM »

There may be no point for you owning an assault rifle but I do have a few friends who collect guns and they enjoy shooting them at shooting ranges sometimes.  It's not even that, it's that big brother is controlling entirely too much and we have a right to own firearms so I think people should try to defend it.  There is really no point to having big tires on your truck unless you own or work on property so perhaps they should outlaw big tires unless you prove you have a need for them.  I mean all they are good for is messing your vehicle up so you are more likely to getting in a car accident or trashing our beautiful land, right?

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2007, 11:20:15 PM »
i dont have a problem with owning guns, but really who needs something so lethal? hell, a handgun will kill someone...

if you were in the military that would be a different story, you are trying to mame people.... but civilians just dont need it... and as far as sporting... hell a sporting/hunting gun will kill people just fine.....

I think the main point is, that the bounds are being over stepped.  They're talking about banning asault rifles, which yes, most people have no need for.  But I garantee that handguns and shotguns are present at more crimes than assault rifles.  however, a large concern is due to the banning of some shotguns, and other rifles, which don't fall under the category of "assault" rifle 

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2007, 11:37:04 PM »
i have a feeling this thread is going to get shutdown as yet another debate on guns....

i will post this and be done with it....
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

all things are relative in context... however it is my personal belief that when the constitution was drafted, these words meant something else... it did not mean everyone should be allowed to have guns, but rather a militia to protect the state, militia meaning activity of one or more citizens organized to provide defense or paramilitary service -- as in if the fed govt cant provide the support the state needed

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2007, 11:52:18 PM »
somehow I knew that was going to come out :hahaha: 

Not sure why you're concerned about the thread getting closed though, its pretty civil as of yet :dunno:

Amendment II

A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed

Now the definition of a militia, as stated by The American Heritage Dictionary

American Heritage Dictionary - Cite This Source mi·li·tia       (mə-lĭsh'ə)  Pronunciation Key 
n.   
An army composed of ordinary citizens rather than professional soldiers.
A military force that is not part of a regular army and is subject to call for service in an emergency.
The whole body of physically fit civilians eligible by law for military service. 

linky : http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/militia

According to the above definition, which I believe is accurate, it states that anyone eligible for military callup can be concidered a militia.  When I turned 18, as most of the people on this board probably did as well, I filled out my selective service card, which registers me for military service if necessary.  Therefore, that places me in the US militia, ready to be called up if necessary

:thumbs:

-Ronald Reagan

motorider228 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2007, 11:58:54 PM »
I hope this thread is not closed as this petition needs to be signed.  I knew a few people on here would disagree with it but for the most part the people on here are beer drinking, lifted truck driving, steak eating red blooded Americans haha so I think most people on here would want to sign something like this.  I don't mind if you choose not to sign it Jimbo, that is your right, I just wanted to throw it up for people that may want to sign it.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2007, 12:09:58 AM »
Here's a petition to sign if you guys don't want an assault rifles ban. 

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/409898348

Probably won't do anything but it's worth a try.....

Is it anything like this thread...

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=31486.0
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

motorider228 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2007, 02:10:52 AM »
Sorry for the repost, I didn't realize it was already posted as I haven't been here much lately.  Just thought I would toss it up.  This thread can be deleted then to reduce the bandwidth.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2007, 06:01:32 PM »
Or they could just be combined :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2007, 06:19:35 PM »
"Who are the militia? Are they not ourselves? Is it feared, then, that we shall turn our arms
each man against his own bosom? Congress shall have no power to disarm the militia.
Their swords, and every other terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an
American ... The unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or
state governments, but where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the People."
-- Tench Coxe, 1788.

"And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from
time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take
arms...the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood
of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure."
-- Thomas Jefferson

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared
to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic
purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice
for that freedom."
-- John F. Kennedy
(okay, so JFK was't a founding father, but this quote is just as valid as any)

A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #13 on: Mar 08, 2007, 08:32:47 PM »
personally i like having the ability and the right to defend myself. whether it be from a single person that wants to hurt me, or the government.
with the term "assault weapon" you should check out what quite a few of these idiot politicians include with it (i call them idiots because not only are they extremely frivilous with that term, they also believe that the 2nd amendment is talking about the national guard, which was created over 100 years after the 2nd amendment.). according to these politicians, any weapon that is semi-auto is an assault weapon. which means:
-semi-auto shotguns
-semi-auto hunting rifles
-actual assault rifles such as the m4 for example
-double action revolvers
-semi-auto pistols
if this bill is passed, what is to stop these polityrants from stripping away citizens rights and ability's to defend themselves from each other, and from the government?
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 08, 2007, 09:41:54 PM »
We are a world ruled by bleeding hearts and left wingers.  Too many of these ignorant folks were raised by other ignorant people who are afraid of guns.  If your parents teach you that guns are evil, you're destined to blindly believe this.  If raised in an open minded and unbiased athmosphere, you're allowed to come to your own conclusions and form your own opinions. 

Ignorance is bliss, except when it comes to taking away the rights of others.  Then it's just stupid.
RIP KYOTA

motorider228 [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 09, 2007, 11:24:41 AM »
I agree Nate.  In my house growing up we never had fire arms.  My dad has not fired a weapon since he was in the Marine Corps and he never owned any guns.  He says killing someone with a gun is cheating and he prefers to strangle them to death....that's why he never owned any guns haha.  So I was free to populate my own opinion on guns and I own one now.  I am not going to go crazy and buy 50 when I'm older like some people I know but my house will always be armed. 

TacoStewie

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 4
  • Male Posts: 816
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 09, 2007, 11:47:20 AM »
GUNS DONT KILL PEOPLE, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE
4THEWKN

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 09, 2007, 02:37:48 PM »
I agree Nate.  In my house growing up we never had fire arms.  My dad has not fired a weapon since he was in the Marine Corps and he never owned any guns.  He says killing someone with a gun is cheating and he prefers to strangle them to death....that's why he never owned any guns haha.  So I was free to populate my own opinion on guns and I own one now.  I am not going to go crazy and buy 50 when I'm older like some people I know but my house will always be armed. 

I'm in a very similar position motorider.  In the AF, my dad was trained in the use of, and carried occasionally ( C-5 pilot) when he was going to be in unfriendly area.  However, he's never owned them, never had an interest in them, or the interest in hunting.  I don't have any guns yet, but I'm looking right now.  His opinion was always neutral, as long as the proper safety precautions are taken. 

-Ronald Reagan