Author Topic: need some help on a custom snorkel....  (Read 11119 times)

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
Re: need some help on a custom snorkel....
« Reply #60 on: Nov 17, 2006, 08:08:01 PM »
Here's my design, that i'll be putting on my 84 XtraCab and my 87 Crewcab...it's a ram-air type, the downtube sticks into the ram head about 1/2"...when water-laden air enters, the water, being heavier, strikes the rear of the ram and, helped by the air pressure, 'weeps' out the holes drilled in the side of the ram, just behind the downtube.

The ram 'mouth' is rounded in the sketch...this can be done by stretching the mouth sideways after welding. The ram head is also mounted level, slightly above the windshield, to let water rivulets traveling up the glass run under it rather than into it. Mine will be aluminum tube and sheet, i just can't stand the 'ghetto' look...i need my stuff to look professional. The thin lines in the poor blueprint, done freehand in Microsoft Paint, indicate where and how the sheet will be bent.

« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2006, 08:13:17 PM by Oddmar »
The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Nov 17, 2006, 08:24:24 PM »
i just can't stand the 'ghetto' look...i need my stuff to look professional.
YES! thank you!  Looks really good and "professional" oddmar. please take some pics of what u build. i like the design :flamer:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #62 on: Nov 17, 2006, 08:32:39 PM »
If i ever do a "snorkle" per-say I will run it inside the front louver under the wipers, if you get that high you'll be dead anyways unless you completely water-tight everthing. Plus unless you reroute the exsaust too, like the Willy Mammoth you'll achieve maxium back pressure and kill the motor that way or it will barely run at all.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Nov 17, 2006, 09:11:01 PM »
And before, when you guys were getting off-topic...you were getting into my "other" hobby...now, i don't want to start another 'off-topic' trend, so if'n y'all go to this link, just enjoy. And remember, this is not regulated by the ATF...this is just 'parts'...No Lower Reciever...lol.

http://www.safetyharborfirearms.com/UltraMag_50/ultramag_50.html

And back on-topic, when moving forward through the water, you will create a wave which will ride up your hood, and maybe windshield, if it gets that deep...hence the reason to suck air from as high as possible. If every important breather on my truck breathes through the snorkel, and my ignition is sealed, i'll keep on truckin, just like the guys in the Heep video earlier.

And judging by the bubbles, thier exhaust was venting underwater, and Thier Heep didnt 'develop maximum backpressure and die'.
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2006, 09:22:51 PM by Oddmar »
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #64 on: Nov 17, 2006, 09:38:38 PM »
I've seen back pressure become an issue, a friend of mine got stuck on an rock underwater and he had to keep the truck floored just to keep it running. This would have been mid way up the door on an early Bronco, sure he was running but he no longer had the power to drive himself off the rock that his diff hit. Sure as long as you can continue moving you'll not create that back pressure but don't get stuck, that's when the pressure will cause the engine to create enough bp to stall it.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Nov 17, 2006, 10:46:50 PM »
But...but...but i did'nt wanna hafta vent my exhaust up above the roof....waaaaaa!!  :rivers:

Oh well...if i wanna Mad Max-lookalike Expedition Toyota, i guess i'll hafta. I'll just cut the front passenger's side corner out of the bed, and run the pipe up there.

weirdtimes_7 [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,032
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Nov 22, 2006, 04:56:57 AM »
oddmar, i really like that idea.. A LOT...  i hope to see pics of your build up. i know a lot of people are willing to spend the money to get the non-gheto look... but for the peeps like me, i don't care, hehe

military_stang
:respect:

toyotatuner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Nov 22, 2006, 11:58:58 AM »
MS, actually, oddmars idea is on the cheap too just fyi, some alum plate wouldnt be that expensive, and to get the radius, maybe a section of steel pipe and "roll" it around. as for the connections (sans welder) pop rivets should be fine. I really like the way its vented to the rear too, nice touch (no water)
 The reason im so adamant about makeing the water "weep" from the intake is because here in Hawaii it rains A LOT, and if this were on MY daily driver rig, a white out rain fall (happens at least 3 or 4 times a month) would really be way too much water @ 65 mph. So, please forgive me if'n im beating a dead horse, water intake from rain may not be an issue for some.
 So yes, a simple 90 deg would work for those in dry climates. Also Oddmars neat idea wouldnt nessesitate a weep hole for others as well(in dry areas).
 Now onto some other items that need to be addressed?
 #1: computer is in pass floor kick panel; needs to be moved
 #2: like glen said, fans gonna create drag, will it be electric?
 #3: exhaust; yes, IMO i have always knew this is a problem, but 4" above your pipe, not   
        too big a deal, just dont kill the engine, really look into a different setup
       I have an idea on that; ever saw one of those electronic bypass valves that connect to the exhaust, just hook one up and run a pipe up right past the cab(or wherever)
#4: ALL wiring should be waterproofed. one thought, im not sure how well it would work, but how about pulling connecters 1 by 1 and lubing em' up w/ some dielectric grease? would that help (ideas?)
 im sure theres more to be done, anyone else got any input?
-John

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #68 on: Dec 05, 2006, 01:31:29 PM »
with the exhaust heres another idea. if your truck is a daily driver as well and you dont want to have your exhaust pipe sticking up over your cab you can make a removeable section that you bolt on when you go offroading. example:
say on my suburban i had a roof rack, i could weld a tab onto the passanger side of it, towards the rear of the truck that i could bolt a piece of exhaust tubing to. that exhaust tube would also be connected to my regular exhaust pipe that exits behind my right rear wheel, and just have a regular exhaust clamp connecting the normal exhaust to the extension.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

rx88

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Dec 17, 2006, 11:10:05 AM »
hello !
My snorkel made in Canary Island

http://suzuki88.webcindario.com/mm1.htm

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Dec 17, 2006, 02:09:02 PM »
thats really really cool looking. wish i could read spanish!  :ack:  :welcome:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

rx88

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Dec 17, 2006, 03:01:29 PM »
Thanks! your always you can use a translator of the Google

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: Dec 17, 2006, 03:07:23 PM »
Thanks! your always you can use a translator of the Google
how? do u have a link?
RIP KYOTA

rx88

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

rx88

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Dec 17, 2006, 03:17:45 PM »
My page personal Web is www.suzuki88.com, we have the greater club of suzukis in Spanish, and thousands of homemade works like that snorkel.

http://suzuki88.webcindario.com/tecnica-samurai.htm

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Dec 17, 2006, 03:18:41 PM »
thanks..the google site is nice..hers is a link to the tranlasted page for anyone who needs it...

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fsuzuki88.webcindario.com%2Fmm1.htm&langpair=es%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8
RIP KYOTA

rx88

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Dec 17, 2006, 03:22:06 PM »

Well !!!  :thumbs: