Author Topic: New Toyite (Yota Person?)  (Read 2880 times)

SnailMan

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 64
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
New Toyite (Yota Person?)
« on: Aug 28, 2006, 09:39:24 PM »
Ok i just bought my first Toy. Ive been a jeep kid for ever mostly cause of the way i was raised however i just cant aford it. So alot of friends told me to buy a Toyota. so i did. I bought a 1991 Pick Up with a SAS already instaled (Not the best job i think im gona have to re-do it) it also has about 12" of lift. with 35's. the rear end is welded and the front is open. The guy i bought it from said it had 5:29 gears in it but i dont htink he was telling the truth, the reson i think this is cause i cant use 5th at all unless im going DOWN a 45 Degree. Also theres a realy loud ratling noise comeing from the tranny ( i think) afte ri put it in 4th and it opnly ratles when i let of the gas hwile its in gear and after i push the clutch in. any ideas as to what this might be. I think it might be the syncro gear but im not sure. Also does anyone know of any fairly uncostly ways to beef up the power plant? it has a 22RE and id like a little more power out of it. well thats all i can think of for now. My future plans with it are to shrink it just a hair. Re-do the SAS in the front maybe with a SAS Kit, 5:29's front and rear. a 5 speed out of a turbo and a tranny out of a turbo (or maybe marlins twin case's not sure yet) and an exo-skeleton maybe a cool flatbed i liked that. and realy far down the road i plan on puting a coil kit in the front. thats all i canthink of for now. if anyone has any tips for those problums id apreciate the help and thanks. ~N00B AKA SnailMan
Low And Slow The SnailMan Goes

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: New Toyite (Yota Person?)
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28, 2006, 09:46:16 PM »
Ok i just bought my first Toy. Ive been a jeep kid for ever mostly cause of the way i was raised however i just cant aford it. So alot of friends told me to buy a Toyota. so i did.
Congratulations on turning to the Darkside You will like it better over here, my son.

as for the gears, either the previous owner lied or didn't know (there are a couple ways to easily find out your gear ratio with out opeing the cover) or you have a gutless engine (which is another great possiblity) How many miles on the engine? 
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2006, 09:49:48 PM »
:welcome: to Marland :wave:

Sounds like you have some bearings going in the trans. Check the ujoints and flanges first, make sure they are not loose. Also check for proper driveshaft angle that may be causing a viberation.

As far as power, I will let some of the others speak, but if it were me I would look into a 3RZ swap to go with the turbo trans.

:worthless:
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

SnailMan [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 28, 2006, 10:05:38 PM »
ok well heres some pics enjoy

i hope this works

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 28, 2006, 10:13:43 PM »
HOLY LIFTAGE BATMAN!!!!!!!!!!   :outtahere:  u need to drop that sucker down before u even think of taking it off road. for 35's u need at the most 4" lift..... and the shackle angle needs a little work hehe I know u just got it
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

SnailMan [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 28, 2006, 10:21:29 PM »
yeah i plan on removeing the blocks in the rear and trying to chop the front shackles a little. but im not sure how much to shave on the front cause i still want everything to even out ya know. i know when i move the rear mounts on the fron springs into the frame instead of on the leaf perch welded to the botom of the frame it will drop it about an inch anda half or so (not to mention be alot stronger) but im gona need more than that cause the rear blocks are probubly 4" blocks.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 28, 2006, 10:27:43 PM »
4" blocks?  :shudder:  u might have to get a new driveline made if ur dropping it. and possibly redo the steering
RIP KYOTA

SnailMan [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2006, 12:47:18 AM »
well the stering is a Marlin 4 bolt cross over stering kit (I think its marlin) as for the drive shafts the last guy has a homeade square front shaft and the rear shaft looks almost stock its pulled out pretty far

Willy Mammoth

• Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2006, 04:44:55 AM »
I would start by removing the body lift down to no more than 1.5"

The square shaft will be fine if it is done ok and not run in 4x on the street. No blocks, they are dangerous and will damage the springs if you plan to play hard.

all in all not a bad start. :thumbs:
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

toynorcal

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 96
  • Male Posts: 435
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2006, 08:56:28 AM »
 :welcome:

Also theres a realy loud ratling noise comeing from the tranny ( i think) afte ri put it in 4th and it opnly ratles when i let of the gas hwile its in gear and after i push the clutch in. any ideas as to what this might be. I think it might be the syncro gear but im not sure.

Read through this post http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26551.0 it sounds like the same problem.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2006, 02:44:10 PM »
:welcome:

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 29, 2006, 03:41:38 PM »
Welcome! This is THE place.
With one exception (me) there are knowledgeable folks here...they just let me hang around 'cause I'm witty.
If you can post some close ups of the suspension.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 29, 2006, 03:54:19 PM »
:welcome:  to the mc board..   great place here..    Like the color by the way
I like to Drive!

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 29, 2006, 09:24:37 PM »
wow, all that lift makes those tires look like they are 29s.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #14 on: Aug 29, 2006, 09:31:25 PM »
Rich? or did you buy the truck from Rich? I know this truck :gap: :wave: :welcome: to the board!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #15 on: Aug 29, 2006, 09:34:58 PM »

I'd work on getting rid of the blocks there even more dangerous than the Body lift, before cutting the shackles try removing a leaf or 2 if that doesn't work or is not enough you can always start cutting the shackles from there or put the leafs back in but once you cut the shackles you can't put it back.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #16 on: Aug 29, 2006, 09:56:51 PM »
those shackles must be a foot long
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

SnailMan [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 02, 2006, 09:09:39 PM »
ok im back Guess what THE TRUCKS SOLD was haveing way tomayny problums witht he truck. trannys takein a :pokinit: not to mention i had to spend about 600 bucs in ingnition work just to get the truck sold lol ok wlel im looking for a 86 - 89 Runner anyone got one for cheap? bone stock is preferable i wana create a FRANKENYOUTA MuaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa ok im done lol but yeah i did buy the truck from rich and i should have looked closer so its my :lipsrsealed: up but hey it was fun to drive so its cool not to mention i made a grand off of driveing it for a week LMAO ok well yeah if anyone has a runner for sell for around 2k give me a call 510 299 9652 is teh cell # call wenever if i dont answer im asleep so leave a message and ill get back to ya thanks guys
« Last Edit: Sep 02, 2006, 09:43:34 PM by 79Coyotefrg »

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 28, 2006, 11:35:46 AM »
It was a pretty sweet truck!