Author Topic: Oil Galleys W/Duals  (Read 2917 times)

NATO4X4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -40
  • Male Posts: 51
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Lowcountry Crawler
    • View Profile
Oil Galleys W/Duals
« on: Jun 18, 2006, 03:47:36 PM »
Are oil galleys used with dual cases? Installed a MC07 with a 1980 gear box in front and an 87 case in the rear and I did not reinstall the stamped oil galleys. Its in the truck and seems to function the way it should. Do I need to pull everything apart and install them?

Why is it impossible for Marlin to compile a detailed set if installation instructions for their dual case kits?
1980 Pickup, 22rec, Rears and Chevys, 36"IROKS, Homebrew cage, bumper, and sliders. Bobbed and dovetailed bedrails. Aussi front, Lincoln rear. 90:1.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Re: Oil Galleys W/Duals
« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2006, 10:43:25 PM »
Why is it impossible for Marlin to compile a detailed set if installation instructions for their dual case kits?
He has more important things to do. Read the instructions that are on the site.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2006, 10:46:13 PM »

THe instructions on the site were pretty darn clear :thumbs:  not perfect, but pretty good
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

NATO4X4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Lowcountry Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2006, 03:52:45 AM »
1980 Pickup, 22rec, Rears and Chevys, 36"IROKS, Homebrew cage, bumper, and sliders. Bobbed and dovetailed bedrails. Aussi front, Lincoln rear. 90:1.

NATO4X4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Lowcountry Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2006, 03:59:57 AM »

Damn, I didn't even think of that, Thanks for the good advice.

Even though the write up is pretty good, there are many details that are left out. You would think that a product that sells for $400 would have instructions written by the company that makes it.

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 19, 2006, 06:19:07 AM »
Or you could just look at a couple of pictures and see that the galleys aren't in there.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #7 on: Jun 19, 2006, 07:43:28 AM »
NATO4X4,

Did you receive the "Marlin Crawler Installer" guide with your dual case adapter? The instructions that are online are a secondary source incase one needs color pictures or has misplaced the Marlin Crawler Installer that is supposed to be included with the dual case adapter, if ordered from Marlin Crawler.

We do make mistakes from time to time, so it is possible that the Marlin Crawler Installer was not included in your box, and in that case we feel that the online instructions linked above are a sufficient guide to properly install the product.

To be honest I would LOVE to make an online guide as good or better than our online 4.70:1 guide but I have been very busy working on other web related items and it does not seem that this will happen until Aug/Sept.

I apologize that the parts not needed are not described in the online guide. As far as that is concerned, it is clear to me that if it is not covered in the guide, then it is not needed. We approve the online guide to be accurate and correct, or else it would not be on our website.

To answer your question, since the oil galleys are used in the #2 and #3 housings, it is impossible to use them in the Crawl Box since the Crawl Box only includes the #1 housing. The other parts are discarded and are no longer needed.

You will notice that Step #98 of the 4.70:1 Online Installer shows the reinstallation of the Oil Galleys, so this is obvious that if you are reassembling a complete transfercase, then those parts must also be reinstalled into the #2 and #3 housings. Here is a picture from the online installer:

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 19, 2006, 08:05:07 AM »
Hey Mike, just send me some clean transfer cases and an adapter and I'll make up some really detailed instructions for ya.

J-BO

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 375
  • Male Posts: 70
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Take it apart
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 19, 2006, 10:10:58 AM »
BigMike, my kit did not include any "Marlin Crawler Installer" guide, rather it included a printed version on the online install guide written by two board members.  I looked at the online 4.70:1 guide and it is excellent and I expected something similiar to be included with the crawler adapter kit.  The online install was sufficient but it did leave some gray area for a first timer such as myself.  Not sure why the "Installer" that you reference was left out, either by mistake or Marlin did not have any at the time my order shipped, but in my opinion Marlin needs to be consistant when filling orders and providing to customers what they think they are getting.  Thanks for your input, I was wondering about those oil galleys myself since I installed my adapter to my crawl box just yesterday. 
1985 Toyota 4Runner
22RE, 63" chevy's out back, hybrid rears up front.  36" IROKs, dual stock cases, Lincoln locked rear, and Aussie locked front.

2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD DD/TR
6.6L Duramax Turbo Diesel, 6" Rancho Lift, Edge Juice Attitude Programer, 35" MTZ's.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #10 on: Jun 19, 2006, 04:03:04 PM »
Ok guys, I have a lot to add to this thread that I have learned today after talking to CJ. Here goes:

I was just informed this morning that we have not been including the Marlin Crawler Installer, like I stated above, for about a year now. However, within the last month, we have been trying to include the Marlin Crawler Installer with out-going kits and even completed units. According to Myth, the former Marlin Crawler Installer had some errors that were causing customer complaints, so we had decided to stop sending it out because, at that time, we had the current Install Intructions up on the webpage, and because of a "certain previous office employee" who no longer works here, we were expecting each customer to use our online install guide for all adapters that were shipped out.

The Marlin Crawler Installer is an ancient document, about 12 pages long, and was created by Marlin and edited by myself back around 1997. As far as I know, it is an accurate and exceptional installation guide, but apparently it had recently been giving us problems about a year ago.

Now that this "certain employee" no longer works here, Marlin had made some changes to the Installer, and it is now being included with all out-going Crawler orders. But since we are trying to include these documents, something that our new sales people have never had to do, we need to print out the papers every few days and someone needs to make sure that they are in stock and stapled and ready to go into boxes. So for a couple more weeks, I would expect most orders to go out with the Marlin Crawler Installer, and a few to go out without the Installer.

Then I just spoke to Dave, who made the nice 4.70:1 Install Instructions, and he also would like to make a Dual Case Installer that is just as nice with me. But there are some problems right now, because this week we are leaving early for the 18th Annual Rubithon, and then for the following three weeks, I will be on vacation. So it does not appear, at this moment, that a Proper Online Dual Case Installer will be made until late July when I get back.

Sorry for all of this and whatever trouble it has given you guys and others, but for right now, we will have to rely on the current Dual Case instructions that are online until late next month.

Regards,
BigMike
« Last Edit: Jun 19, 2006, 04:20:59 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

NATO4X4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Lowcountry Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 19, 2006, 04:19:16 PM »
Bigmike, thanks for answering my question concerning the oil galleys. The reason I was concerned is that my truck began to make noise the other day after a 10 mile drive. I started to trouble shoot and I remembered the online instructions saying to remember how the oil galleys were installed and I started to question wether or not they should be installed. I apologize if this seems to be a ridiculous concern but this is my first dual case install and I want to be sure it is right.

As far as the crawler installer, no I did not get it. I posted in  customer service /product support and got nowhere. I called twice and got nowhere. You actually posted in the thread. I eventually received, from MC, a printout of the online instructions which I had already printed from the website. I just gave up and used the printout. For the most part it was sufficient but in places it suggest referencing the crawler installer which I didn't have.

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22471.0

NATO4X4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Lowcountry Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 19, 2006, 04:33:54 PM »
Or you could just look at a couple of pictures and see that the galleys aren't in there.

I feel like the question is legitimate and I don't see why you couldn't just answer it or ignore it. You are always chiming in telling people to click or look here. This is suppose to be a place to share information if you have it. I feel that since I spent a few hundred dollars with MC I at least deserve to have my questions answered without people rag on me for asking. I don't see why you waste your time telling people to search or click a link.

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 19, 2006, 06:38:11 PM »
Hey Mike, just send me some clean transfer cases and an adapter and I'll make up some really detailed instructions for ya.

That's what I like about you...you're so willing to "take one" for the team!!!
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 19, 2006, 08:06:16 PM »
I feel like the question is legitimate and I don't see why you couldn't just answer it or ignore it. You are always chiming in telling people to click or look here. This is suppose to be a place to share information if you have it. I feel that since I spent a few hundred dollars with MC I at least deserve to have my questions answered without people rag on me for asking. I don't see why you waste your time telling people to search or click a link.
Well, not trying to be a richard, but I thought the instructions were pretty straight forward. once you get in together, it's pretty obvious that the oil galleys 1. wouldn't fit in the case without shortening them, and 2. wouldn't do anything since there are no holes for it in the adapter. I mean, it's not that hard to figure out, I've had jig saw puzzles that take more than 2 hours to put together (which is how long it takes to assemble duals).

That's what I like about you...you're so willing to "take one" for the team!!!
Somebody has to, and if it has to be me, then so be it. :greengrin: Actually I really would just do the instructions then give the duals back. (less the crawl box and adapter! :talkingn: )

NATO4X4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Lowcountry Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 20, 2006, 04:13:07 PM »
Well, not trying to be a richard, but I thought the instructions were pretty straight forward. once you get in together, it's pretty obvious that the oil galleys 1. wouldn't fit in the case without shortening them, and 2. wouldn't do anything since there are no holes for it in the adapter. I mean, it's not that hard to figure out, I've had jig saw puzzles that take more than 2 hours to put together (which is how long it takes to assemble duals).

If you were paying attention you would realize that I didn't install the galleys. I didn't even attempt it. I questioned it after I had the cases in and I was hearing a noise while driving. I thought, maybe I missed something  so I went back through the instructions. Just the one mention of the galleys. I was just trying to rule that out. Then here you come telling my to look at pictures and figure it out. I you are so good why didn't you just answer the question in your first reply. You can assemble a crawler in two hours, who cares. This was my first one. I'm sure I could do another without too much trouble.

The whole thing boils down to this. You don't feel like the question should have been asked. Fair enough, don't respond. Bigmike felt that it was worth responding to. He says that the on-line instructions are meant to by supplemental and he also says he will try to work on an updated set of instructions.
« Last Edit: Jun 20, 2006, 04:53:07 PM by 79Coyotefrg »

NATO4X4 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Lowcountry Crawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 20, 2006, 04:20:05 PM »
Sorry about the double post. Not much of a buliten board guru. Not sure how to delete a post.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #17 on: Jun 20, 2006, 04:56:04 PM »
i fixed it for ya  :therethere:   

and  dont mind Minisimp  , he means well but  often comes off as a :moon:

Me >  :slap: < Mini
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jun 20, 2006, 05:00:28 PM »
i fixed it for ya  :therethere: