Author Topic: Charging Issues  (Read 1158 times)

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
Charging Issues
« on: Jun 13, 2006, 10:47:18 PM »
OK so I have an 81 yota with an external regulator on it. Took it to the con this weekend, sat night ran the battery dead (playing my stereo) and it stopped charging (before that it was charging great). So I came to the conclusion it was a bad alternator, got it tested, 11.34 volts. Bad. So I went down to Kragen (dont even tell me theyre crap alternators, I know and I couldnt wait for a toy reman) got a 60 amp 84 celica GTS alternator with an internal regulator and slapped it on my truck. Tried this:

Anyone interested in this conversion here's the info I was given:
Use the original, hot wire(10 or 12 guage) that bolts onto the post.  Bolt it onto the new alt post.  On the back of your new alternator is a plug.  It will be 2 or 3 wires.  There should be an "S" terminal and an "I" terminal.  Jump the "s" over to the "I", and then run the "I" to an ignition source; There should be one going to your old external regulator, if you can't find it or have removed it, you can tap a source such as windshield wiper power.  Make sure to use a diode in your ignition feed.  You want this feed to go to alternator, not towards the ignition.  This will make sure that when you turn the truck 0ff, the alternator will not stay on and kill your battery.  That's all there is to it.

And it did not work. I called up Glen and he said to turn the key on, find out which one of the 3 prongs on the plug goin into the back had power (the yellow one) and jump it to one of the other prongs and see which one makes it charge. So I turned on the truck, had my brother look at the gauge to see which one made it go up and I put it on the white and black and then on the green, nothing. So then I did both at the same time like above, still nothing. SO, what could it be. Im already pissed and my truck cant be down anymore. I need to be able to drive it around. Who has ideas or know of a through thing of what to do?

Just take back that one, go to toyota and get a toy reman (i want one more then 40 amps though, thats weak) or just do a GM 1 wire swap?
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Charging Issues
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2006, 07:24:19 AM »
:thud:   no no no,  dont jump the yellow  and green on the plug,  run a wire from the yellow  on down to the alternator
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

lilbuddy [OP]

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2006, 10:06:36 AM »
OK so run the yellow to where the yellow goes on the alternator or run the yellow to whichever prong makes it charge while its running?

Id Assume to run it to on the back of the alt where it says IG (Ignition maybe?) which is where  the white/black goes? Is that what id do?

GET IT!!!

lilbuddy [OP]

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2006, 10:53:23 PM »
OK so I got it to work. I was running the yellow wire thru the external regulator and it wasnt working soooo.... what you have to do is take out the external regulator, cut the plug that goes into it, take the red wire thats on it and then take the green wire and the white wire with the black trace, put those together. Then take the red wire, get a butt connector and put the red wire in one end, then take the white/black and the green and put it in the other. The red wire is the keyed ignition switch. After that, it works! The yellow wire from the IC regulator plug will not work cause thats the idiot light, so is the yellow wire from the alternator...its the idiot light. so if you dont mess up and cut more then you need to (like I did) then you can still have a working idiot light!

GET IT!!!