Author Topic: Charging Issues, help!  (Read 3562 times)

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
Charging Issues, help!
« on: Sep 14, 2005, 08:23:20 PM »
The other day I fried an alternator. I think its cause I had it in 4low and rev the  :pokinit: out of it and possibly the volt reg couldnt compinsate that fast. So I had to run on battery until it died. Left me stranded in Sac but the next morning I replaced the Alt and replaced the batt just for :pokinit: and giggles. It ran perfect for a day and a half and was charging like nromal. Now the volt gauge dropeed down. I had it tested at Kragen and at idle it was only pushing 12.11volts. Not good. Now here is what I am not sure about. On the freeway running a faster RPM will it push more or does the volt reg drop it down? I think it will be fine just as long as it dont drop anymore. I plan on charging the batt with a charger tomorrow and scrounging up a spare and have it charged too. Im heading for placerville tomorrow so hopefully it will be alright. :crossed: Give me some ideas so when I get home I can fix this thing. Im pretty sure its wiring. I'll do some digging tomorrow see if I can find a burnt wire but I cant do much cause im leaving. Thankya much
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
Re: Charging Issues, help!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 14, 2005, 08:38:06 PM »
Wouldn't be the first time I got a alt that went bad right off the bat. I would think that if its charging 12 volts you'll be ok. As long as it doesn't drop anymore. Higher rpm may make more volts and the regulator won't drop voltage down anymore than what it already is, because it's looking for a higher voltage in the first place.

RHG [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 14, 2005, 09:01:27 PM »
good to hear, thanks fireball. Hopefully will see ya sat night. Its a kragen alt so it could be bad. who knows. Time will tell

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

hornett22

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -97
  • Male Posts: 189
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2005, 09:27:03 PM »
14.2 volts is the minimum standard.you have a bad alt or battery is bad or low

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 14, 2005, 09:49:53 PM »
If it's a kragen is it lifetime warrenty?

RHG [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 14, 2005, 10:08:05 PM »
oh yeah, the bat is brand new so is alt...i guess ill try another alt. is it that common to have a "new" one go bad

over_rev

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 230
  • Male Posts: 370
  • Member since Feb '03
  • No Assistance Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 14, 2005, 11:00:31 PM »
oh yeah, the bat is brand new so is alt...i guess ill try another alt. is it that common to have a "new" one go bad
from kragen,Yes...Ive had better luck with autozone.
Pak It In Pack It Out!!

CTENG in KS

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #7 on: Sep 14, 2005, 11:46:24 PM »
I've heard lots of bad stories about alts too, got mine at autojone and it has been perfect so far... :crossed:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #8 on: Sep 14, 2005, 11:54:07 PM »
AutoJone, baaaawhahahahahaha :funny:

hornett22 is right. The only time it shouldn't be able to achieve this, is if you are at approx. 900rpm or lower with a large  load on the system (+12amps or so). At that rpm, the pulley ratio on the crank vs. alt is not sufficient for the alt. to produce enough amperage, and if the Current drops (V=IR) so does the volts.

BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

RHG [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 15, 2005, 01:13:36 AM »
Thanks Mike...well hopefully at freeway RPM it will do better than 12volts. I'm kinda scared now though. If that things drops anymore im dead in the water. Maybe I should go get another and swap them tomorrow morning. I dunno. Who do you sugest I get one from Mike? I dunno where else besides autozone and kragen. We have a Napa but I dont buy from them anymore (customer service sucks) Would it be possible for me to have cooked a wire? I'll do some wire checking tomorrow and ill keep an eye on the gage when I do my running around. If it goes any lower then I guess I have no choice but to try another one. Curse them crap parts. :headshake:

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2005, 01:39:35 AM »
kragen and shucks sell :pokinit: alts and starters...I'd rather put in a used toy alt or starter over anything from those parts jokers...
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

RHG [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 15, 2005, 10:00:16 AM »
ITS CHARGING AGAIN! I am more than happy to admit that this was mechanics error because that means I am not chasing a freakin ghost and my truck is good for the road trip now. I didnt have the plug going to the alt pushed in all the way and must have worked its way out. Im charging full capacity now. Thanks ya'll for the imput anyway. See ya tomorrow!

hornett22

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 15, 2005, 02:34:01 PM »
go with NAPA,carquest,or find a rebuilder in your area.saty away from the discount chains.you get what you pay for.check on a toyota reman too.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #13 on: Sep 15, 2005, 03:24:34 PM »
Glad that it's working!

Hey guys, why does everyone opt for alternators from autoparts stores? Why not just get a stock unit from a wrecking yard, or from http://www.car-part.com ? Get it home, wash it in some solvent and then run water through it, check the brushes, and then install it. I've never had a used unit be bad on me, unless of course it was all rusted and looked like garbage :ack: Go Toyota or Go Home! :ha_ha:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sep 15, 2005, 07:49:30 PM »
Well Said BigMike

How many times do I have to tell you dudes.  AFTERMARKET JUNK DOESN'T WORK ON TOYOTAS!  :_order:

I remove pepboys/autozone/napa/checker/kragen/csk/billybobs discount auto and chew store/aftermarket junk from vehicle EVERY DAY at work and people are surprised that their newly-purchased stuff doesn't work.  That goes for charging,starting,ignition,fuel delivery, oiling, air-filtration, oil-filtration, cooling, and lighting systems. 

TOYOTA PARTS once is cheaper than AFTERMARKET JUNK 5 times.

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

Toy4therock

• Marlin Crawler
  • I used to Crawl. I still do, but I used to, too.
« Reply #15 on: Sep 16, 2005, 08:44:07 AM »
 :thumbs: First off the other fellows on top of it in not the first time! Ive had afew of those other auto parts stores rebuilt and life time warrenty aggrevations! So not for me any longer! Unless its toyota or Bosch or I do the rebuilding and even at that.I will use only the very highest known quality.OR Im not doing it.And yes a short or lose wire will fry your alt or voltage reg.Another of my smarter moves! Always disconnect the battery when working anywheres close to that alt! I fryed two untill I wised up.Stuborn arent I .I havent had any real problems with BAP other than one! Dont buy a rebuilt engine from them.But then again its the same rule!And one worth living and dying by! Except for trannys and all this great and Im sure to find out! As Ive read plenty about Marlin and his products and its all been real good and you cant pregnant dog about the prices ether.Now I just need to find that money! Good luck :crossed:

hornett22

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 16, 2005, 09:49:35 AM »
remeber,they last because they cam with toyota parts,not aftermarket.

Boomez

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Male Posts: 19
  • Member since May '04
  • Donkey BustiN
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 06, 2005, 04:41:41 AM »
Glad that it's working!

Hey guys, why does everyone opt for alternators from autoparts stores? Why not just get a stock unit from a wrecking yard, or from http://www.car-part.com ? Get it home, wash it in some solvent and then run water through it, check the brushes, and then install it. I've never had a used unit be bad on me, unless of course it was all rusted and looked like garbage :ack: Go Toyota or Go Home! :ha_ha:
I just did a alt swap/mod on my 20R got a good used 105 amp from a newer Vortec and its sweet nice to be able to winch with a little muscle again.....imo

Boomer
1980/83 4X4/ 20R Eng / 4 Spd Trans / Marlin Dual Trans/ High Pinion Front E-Locker
35 BFG M/T /Six In Lift/Rancho Susp/Leather Buckets/Skull