Author Topic: CJ Issues!  (Read 4352 times)

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
CJ Issues!
« on: Nov 20, 2006, 09:26:47 AM »
Hey guys, a co-worker of mine, Dave, has been having problems with his Jeep that the local mechanic is :headscratch: over...I told him if anyone could help the guys on the Marlin board could do it....

It's an '85 CJ and the engine he's got in it is the 4.2L in-line 6 with about 108K miles on it. (let me know if you need more info, I'll ask him)

He recently (within the past two weekds) replaced the valve cover and gasket.

And now, in his own words, herrrreeess... Dave...:

My first issue (that still hasn't been resolved) is I was getting a really high reading on my temperature gauge almost immediately (2-3 minutes) after starting up the Jeep.

In an effort to fix that issue, I replaced the radiator, water pump and thermostat multiple times (with different temperatures).

The mechanic suggested I remove the thermostat and run the Jeep for a while in hopes that if there was some type of blockage it would be blown out by removing the thermostat. That didn't work either.

I have reinstalled a thermostat and now I'm getting no reading on my temperature gauge at all (coincidently, my gas gauge seemed to fail at the same time).

What's puzzling is I can't imagine the engine would get so hot after idling for a minute or two. Additionally, when I removed the thermostat and was getting a really high reading, the heater was not heating at all. Could I have a faulty sensor?

My second issue was/is I had a valve cover gasket failure where I had smoke releasing into the engine compartment. I replaced the gasket and that has stopped the smoke in the engine compartment however, I now have white smoke coming from the tailpipe, the engine oil indicator is on, and I have blow-by from the breather valve.

So, yesterday, I changed the oil (which was black in color), replaced the breather, replaced the pcv valve and added Restore to the oil to try to help seal any wear in the rings (I thought this might be the reason for the smoke).

This morning, I drove to work hoping I could work some of the Restore into the engine. There appeared to be less smoke today than yesterday (could've been wishful thinking though) right up until I heard a grinding noise  :ack: which sounds very similar to the transmission missing a gear. Immediately following the grinding noise, the engine began making a clicking noise and the smoke got worse. 

Any thoughts on these issues would be greatly appreciated...
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2006, 10:20:25 AM by MrsWillyMammoth »
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: CJ Issues!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2006, 09:59:10 AM »
Ouch :ack:

I was gonna say the white smoke kinda sounds like a headgasket :hammer: But if the smoke has lessened and he just did an oil change and the oil was 100% oil, then :dunno:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2006, 10:02:03 AM »
Yeah, he did say the oil was black and not milky looking.

And the smoke HAD lessened (or he imagined it did) UNTIL he heard a grinding noise which sounded very similar to the transmission missing a gear. Immediately following the grinding noise, the engine began making a clicking noise and the smoke got worse.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2006, 10:19:57 AM »
I bet if he pulls his oil pan he's gonna find chunks in it :down:

And how hot is it getting? Jeeps average around 210 on a cold day :headscratch:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2006, 11:02:58 AM »
he's not sure of the actual temp, it's just an idiot gauge and he said it's pegged.

What do you figure could have busted? Thrown a rod or something?
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2006, 11:09:43 AM by MrsWillyMammoth »

Where is the Mammoth?

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2006, 12:43:49 PM »
Hydraulic'd a cylinder??  Maybe the water was washing the oil away causing the rings to grind the cyl walls, until the rod had enough?
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2006, 12:59:06 PM »
he's not sure of the actual temp, it's just an idiot gauge and he said it's pegged.

What do you figure could have busted? Thrown a rod or something?

That's what I'm thinkin :thud:

Blingn

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 155
  • Male Posts: 2,356
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2006, 02:28:03 PM »
dave is this a dd or does it sit?  if it has sit 4 a while then rats or something could of got to the wiring that could be why the gauges are going haywire.  As for it over heating so fast be careful and feal the bottom hose compared to the top hose temp difference, this could be a combo of stuff. I have some sources I could check i will get back at you. 

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2006, 04:40:12 PM »
Mark just spoke to him on the phone and I guess they got some issues worked out.

Where is the Mammoth?

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2006, 04:46:36 PM »
Mark just spoke to him on the phone and I guess they got some issues worked out.
What what what!!!! :hyper:

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2006, 04:56:09 PM »
i saw this  and my first thought  was  "cruzrdave"  had  taken "CJ"  out back  and beat him up again  :headshake:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2006, 05:16:12 PM »
Well Mark will have to fill you in but it doesn't sound good.
I just spoke to him... he says "buy anything but a jeep"     :disturbed:

JK!!
« Last Edit: Nov 21, 2006, 05:25:15 AM by MrsWillyMammoth »

Where is the Mammoth?

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2006, 12:07:08 AM »
Well Mark will have to fill you in but it doesn't sound good.
I just spoke to him... he says "buy anything but a jeep"     :disturbed:

I could have told you that!
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Lady Di [OP]

• Goddess of Mud
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2006, 05:28:07 AM »
This is what he posted on the Jeep Club board:

This all sounds like a head gasket problem to start with that now may have included the bottom end. If this thing got as hot as you say it was pinging and knocking. The smoke may have been water vapor, also signs of a head gasket.

Q. Did the "smoke" disapate into thin air like steam or did it drift off with the wind?

Q. Is this a stick or an automatic trans?

If it is an auto it is possible there is a bad vacuum modulator on the trans that is causing trans fluid to be sucked out of the trans and into the intake causing a large cloud of white smoke.

At this point you may be looking at a new engine depending on how bad it is. When an engine getts hot like this the rings loose there temper and do not seal to the cylinder walls causing low compression and oil consumption.

There could also have been some sludge buildup in the engine that got worked loose causing the pickup to get clogged causing the oil pressure to drop and the lifters to start ticking. This will also cause bearing failure due to lack of oil.

If you can confirm any of these to be fact, I would replace the engine as a whole and get some kind of warrantee

And it was determined he'll have to replace the engine.

Where is the Mammoth?

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2006, 07:33:45 PM »
:psss:  did you tell him we could fix "the jeep thing"   with anitbiotics  and toyota parts  :haha:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way