Author Topic: need duals!!!  (Read 3352 times)

toyotasarebetter

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 32
  • Member since Oct '05
  • do it right the first time........
    • View Profile
need duals!!!
« on: Apr 24, 2006, 06:08:35 PM »
i have a forward shift t case and want to know if i can use it with duals or if i have to scrap it and find two top shift t cases....
85 toyota pickup, low end cam, 5 in alcan front springs all pro rears. 36 13.5 mickey tompsons... hysteer, 4 88s and detroits front and rear. u bolt flip rear... inboard shocks rear... bucket seats hurst shifter Bobbed bed. Doetch tech shocks..... and a heavy gas pedal... he he

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
Re: need duals!!!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 24, 2006, 06:23:19 PM »
Only the rear case needs to be top shift, but any forward shift box can be converted. The kit is right at the bottom of the page.
http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/transfercase/tcase_ac.htm#topshift
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Apr 24, 2006, 06:36:48 PM »
what tranny do you have??  if it needs a forward shift then  you NEED the forward shift box for your crawler
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

toyotasarebetter [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 24, 2006, 10:00:15 PM »
So I can run duals through the forward shift case and not need the other t case? And how often do 21 spline break???
85 toyota pickup, low end cam, 5 in alcan front springs all pro rears. 36 13.5 mickey tompsons... hysteer, 4 88s and detroits front and rear. u bolt flip rear... inboard shocks rear... bucket seats hurst shifter Bobbed bed. Doetch tech shocks..... and a heavy gas pedal... he he

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #4 on: Apr 24, 2006, 10:31:36 PM »
The only thing you need to know is that the Rear Transfercase MUST be a top shift style, since it will bolt behind our adapter plate.

If this forward shift t/case of which you speak of is your donor case, then yes, it must be converted to a top shift style, no exception.

These gear drive transfercases last a VERY long time if properly cared for. So it really does not matter if you choose to turn your current transfercase into the Crawl Box or your donor transfercase into the Crawl Box.
But since your current transfercase is already mated to your transmission, I would just recommend converting that into your Crawl Box, and then using your donor case as your (2nd) transfercase (which will receive the drivelines).

Generally speaking, 21-spline setups are not recommend for drivetrains that are behind an engine of apprx. 170 ft-lbs of torque or more, such as Turbo R-engines, 3VZ-FE (3.0 V6), 3RZ-FE (2.7 4cyl), or better.

We have seen 21-spline setups fail behind stock 22R powered trail rigs, but this is very rare and certainly done with extreme prejudice towards heat treated metal components. In other words, you would have to drive extremely hard and very rough on your rig in order to break a 21-spline drive train with only 120-ish ft-lbs of torque.

I see more 21-spline couplers stripping out then I see 21-spline inputs failing.

However, if you plan on installing our 4.70:1 gear set in the back case, with it's Total-Spline™ input design, we have NEVER had a single 21-spline 4.70:1 input gear fail, nor have we seen a 21-spline coupler with a Total-Spline™ input gear strip out! It is a far superior gear that is a very strong 21-spline candidate and has solved the issue with stripped out 21-spline couplers.

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

toyotasarebetter [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 25, 2006, 01:39:30 AM »
Sweet deal... How much would it run to get a donor case from you guys with twin sticks set up and mated to an adapter already???

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 25, 2006, 07:45:12 PM »
Sweet deal... How much would it run to get a donor case from you guys with twin sticks set up and mated to an adapter already???
if going that route  i would recomend  just getting the entire dual case setup from them, then send both cases to them for cores
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 26, 2006, 09:39:08 AM »
if going that route  i would recomend  just getting the entire dual case setup from them, then send both cases to them for cores

I did it with out a donor and ended up spending about as much on dealer parts as I would've just buying the donor. If I had it to do over again, I'd just buy the whole shebang from Marlin...it was fun though.
Mark
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

toyotasarebetter [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 29, 2006, 08:17:19 PM »
thinkin i will just buy the whole shebang... i am the kid who got the complete thirds in paso... i thing justin is his name delivered them to me in his wifes car... she came too and pregnant... look at the dedication of marlins crew!!!!!!!!!

Bloomcounty

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 11:08:31 AM »
I see more 21-spline couplers stripping out then I see 21-spline inputs failing ?? how often does this happen ??

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 11:27:01 AM »
maybe with 37's  and REALLY big rocks,  and i bet thats in the rear case

i'd  HOLE LOTS rather strip a coupler  than a input gear :aaa: