Author Topic: Two Fall In Mineshaft Accidents At Calico  (Read 14218 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Two Fall In Mineshaft Accidents At Calico
« on: May 06, 2006, 11:00:50 AM »
http://www.sbsun.com/news/ci_3747900

Quote from: sbsun.com
Open threats
Deserted mines pose grave danger to desert explorers
Megan Blaney, Staff Writer

CALICO - On the day 6-year-old River Lasley saw his father fall 60 feet to his death in an abandoned mine shaft, he expressed one prayer:
Please don't let it happen to anyone else.

But it did. Just one week later, another man plummeted down the same shaft. Trevor Montgomery survived but suffered critical injuries and is paralyzed.
In a tearful phone call, River's mother, 37-year-old Kris Lasley of Vista, recounted the boy's ordeal at the mine.

"Why weren't there any signs?" the child asked would-be rescuers. And are you "going to close it up so nobody else will fall?"

The incidents illuminated a major problem throughout the state that has no easy solution 12,000 abandoned mines pepper San Bernardino County alone with no feasible way to close them all.

Attempts by state and federal agencies to close the more dangerous mines are ongoing, but only a fraction of a percent is closed each year. Mines exist on both private and public property, and vandalism makes boundaries vague.

Officials say the onus is on people who visit the desert. Avoid them entirely. Families vacationing nearby must balance a natural curiosity to explore the historical sites with a healthy dose of common sense and caution.

"Just don't go near them," said Sgt. Doug Hubbard, of the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department. "Every mine is dangerous. Every single one."

The mine the men fell in is not hard to find. A spray-painted arrow on a rock points to its entrance. It lies directly off a well-traveled trail that starts at the Calico Ghost Town campground, winds up and down the mountainside and eventually dead-ends in a canyon that has at least four other large mines within sight of the trail.

The land is owned by Pan American Silver Corp. of Vancouver, British Columbia. Rob Doyle, its chief financial officer, said by phone that his company intended to close the mines on the property last summer, but a study revealed a rare species of bat is living in the mines, delaying the project.

Dangerous attraction

The Mojave Desert is an attractive destination for campers and aspiring adventurers, but it can quickly turn deadly. It has harsh elements and a deceiving landscape, and its unassuming land features can hold deadly creatures or crumbling rocks.

"Thousands of people come here annually," Hubbard said. "They come from a different environment and are totally unprepared."

Lasley and Montgomery were camping with their families at Calico Ghost Town a former Old West mining town that has attractions featuring its mining history.

"We were just out camping," Kris Lasley said. "We had no idea how dangerous it was."

River and his father, 41-year-old Kenneth Albert "Rusty" Lasley, who managed his own backhoe company, hopped on their ATV quads on the morning of April 7 in search of an adventure.

"He was really excited about being there and exploring," Kris Lasley said of River.

When they didn't return, she started to worry. She rode an ATV out to look for them but returned to the campground to wait.

Father and son had ridden past a number of mines and stopped at one toward the end of the trail. They were on private property, but Kris Lasley said they were unaware of it.

Rusty Lasley, who was 6-foot-5, walked about 90 feet into the shaft, stooping under the low rock ceiling.

"We think he just walked in and fell backwards, hitting his head," Hubbard said.

After the fall there was only silence. The boy called to his father but received no answer, so River began his long trek down the steep mountainside for help.

Back at the camp, a park ranger told Kris Lasley that her son was at a house in the valley.

"He rode to a house and told them his dad had fallen in a mine," Kris Lasley said. "He had ridden 2 miles by himself to try and get help."

River had gone in search of a "mom with her kids" just like his parents had taught him to do if he got lost.

"He found a house with toys in the front yard and went to that door," Kris Lasley said. "I just thank God he turned around and didn't go down that hole after his dad."

The family held a memorial service exactly one week after Rusty Lasley's fall.

An arrow's lure

As hundreds mourned Rusty Lasley in Vista, 34-year-old Hemet resident Trevor Montgomery and his daughter, Kaitlyn, were exploring the Calico Mountains on ATVs.

They stumbled upon the same mine and ventured in. The 34-year-old father of nine said he thought it was a natural cave.

"I've never ever allowed my kids to go into real mines," he said. "There was just no way to see a mine shaft right in the middle of the cave. I literally just walked right into the hole."

"They saw an arrow pointing to a cave," his wife, Robin Montgomery, 37, said. "There wasn't even a warning sign," she said. "I blame the property owners."

Trevor Montgomery dared his 14-year-old daughter to touch the back wall, but she balked, Robin Montgomery said.

"He said, `I'll go with you,' and he took three steps and fell," she said. "She (Kaitlyn) never would have survived that fall."

Trevor Montgomery said he is thankful he fell instead of his daughter.

"I would literally have rather died than let her fall and live, because of everything I'm going through right now," he said.

Now Robin and their children haunt the hallways of Loma Linda University Medical Center.

Trevor Montgomery, a Riverside County sheriff's detective, is still in intensive care. He has undergone five surgeries, in which doctors removed bone shards from his lower back, replaced shattered vertebrae with prosthetic vertebrae, set a compound fracture in his left ankle and cleaned the rocks from his wounds.

"His back exploded," Robin Montgomery said.

Trevor Montgomery is paralyzed from the waist down and said doctors do not know if it is permanent.

When state and local officials were asked why they did not block off the mine after Rusty Lasley's fatal fall, Cy Oggins, manager of the Abandoned Mines Land Unit, a division of the state Department of Conservation, said it's against policy.

"I had someone less than an hour away who could have gone up and posted. It might have prevented a second incident," he said.

Wide-open area

Very few of the mines that honeycomb the mountains in the High Desert are marked or closed off. Some are so well hidden that officials don't even know about them, said Don Drysdale, a spokesman for the state Department of Conservation.

"If you dug a gold mine back in 1860, would you want  anyone to know where it was?" Drysdale said.

Officials said the only solution is for people to stay away from them entirely.

"They're frickin' everywhere," Hubbard said. "People think, `Oh, there's a road here, this must be Disneyland.' "

Although the sheer volume makes it difficult to put signs on all the mines, the vandals make it futile.

"The minute you erect signage, it gets destroyed," Hubbard said, pointing out a piece of bullet-battered metal by the side of the trail a sign that had been rendered unreadable by target practice.

The vast desert under Hubbard's jurisdiction is 10 times larger than Rhode Island.

"In L.A. or downtown San Bernardino, it's easy to fence in your 800-square-foot property," Hubbard said. "Fencing 10,000 square miles is not practical."

Still, after the second man fell into the mine shaft, local volunteers barricaded the entrance with rocks. A handwritten warning on a thin strip of wood stretched across the opening cautions:

"There is a vertical drop of at least 100 feet. One death April 7th 2006 and a major injury April 14th 2006. Danger Peligro."

Hubbard doesn't think it will last long.

"I'm telling you this is not going to keep them out. It'll take a total destruction of the entrance," he said.

Officials from the U.S. Bureau of Land Management and the state Department of Conservation are working together to close as many abandoned mines on government land as possible.

The Abandoned Mines Land Unit has secured 42 mines in the past two years on a budget of $125,000 a year. This year they are working with $400,000 and expect to secure about 170 mine features, tunnels, outbuildings, shafts and structures by the end of the year.

Out of 47,000 mines and about 150,000 features statewide, however, it's a drop in the bucket.

Gold and silver

Most of the mines throughout the state were dug during the gold rush that began in 1849.
......continued
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: Two Fall In Mineshaft Accidents At Calico
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 11:04:53 AM »
Quote from: continued

"There was no regulation, no oversight. We weren't even a state," Drysdale said.

In the Calico Mountains, miners struck silver in the late 19th century. Calico Town was one of the first mining camps in that era. The county tourist attraction and campground still has mines on its property, but all, except one that is checked daily, are off limits to visitors.

The Calico Ghost Town Web site cautions, "No mine is stable or safe. Exploring mines is not recommended and may put you and others into a dangerous and life-threatening position.

"Many vertical shafts exist that you may fall into. Some mines are on private property and exploring these mines is trespassing."

The mines in the Calico Mountain canyon have been idle for years. Pan American Silver Corp. acquired the land 11 years ago as part of the purchase of a functioning silver mine in Peru. The company's Web site boasts that the mining company produces more than 12.5 million ounces of silver every year and expects to become the world's largest primary silver producer by 2008.

"The company has not conducted any mining or exploration activity at the site since it was acquired," Doyle said.

"We were surprised that it was being accessed by the general public, given that it is private land."

Robin Montgomery said she intends to start an awareness group to educate others about mine safety.

"It's not just yourself that is in danger . . . it's all the people who have to go in to save you," Hubbard said.

Mine rescue is a specialized skill and requires at least a nine-member team.

Because San Bernardino County is still training some members of its team, rescue teams from Kern County answered the calls for both the April 7 and 14 incidents, Hubbard said.

"We couldn't do it safely," he said. When the call came in that another man had fallen in the same shaft, the Kern team knew exactly what equipment was needed. San Bernardino County sheriff's helicopters airlifted them to the site.

"It was as though they had just trained for that rescue the week before," Hubbard said. "As tragic as the first incident was, it certainly expedited the second."

Kris Lasley said she takes comfort in knowing that the rescue effort for her husband might have helped save Trevor Montgomery.

Mine-rescue teams are staffed by volunteers, and both Kris Lasley and Robin Montgomery expressed their gratitude to them, the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department in Barstow and everyone who pitched in.

Pan American Silver Corp is taking the situation "very seriously," Doyle said.

The company is sending its director of health and safety to the site "as soon as possible" to "make sure this doesn't happen again," he said.

Trevor Montgomery said it needs to be done immediately.

"If there's not reason for these things to be open, then destroy them that's what I would say to the owner," he said Monday from his hospital bed.

"I have broken legs, broken feet, broken ankles, a broken back," he said. "It sure was a large price to pay for what we thought was going to be a fun day."

FYI:

Donations should be sent to:

Lasley Trust scholarship fund CoAmerica Bank

9255 Town Center Drive, Suite 220
San Diego, CA 92121

The Abandoned Mine Lands Unit, part of the state Department of Conservation, has launched a "Stay Out, Stay Alive" campaign. The toll-free number to report hazardous mines is 1-877-OLD MINE.

I guess this means they'll be closing off more of the Calico area. My club will be going May, 19 through 21 :gap:

Othr_Brother

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Male Posts: 8
  • Member since Jun '05
    • View Profile
    • 4x4 Him
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 11:55:17 AM »
   My heart goes out to them and their families.....But didn't they have a flashlight?!!......I don't want to sound mean but people need to have some common sense......that guy dared his daughter to run in there...pitch black and touch the back wall....she could have hit her head...been running into a den of rattlers or...fall into a 100' hole.....now they'll probably close off some of Calico and those of us who carry flashlights will suffer.
'87 4Runner SAS, 5.29s, welded, 35" MT/Rs, Chevy rears, rears up front
www.4x4Him.org

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 12:38:32 PM »
Darwin award winners, that's all I have to say.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 01:16:51 PM »
True.  Not to sound mean, but you really have to check your brain to just blindly enter an area you know absolutely nothing about.  You don't drive through the desert in pitch black with no lights doing 120 mph, then pregnant dog when you hit a rock wall!  Well, I guess you wouldn't be able to, but there would be somebody right there to blame the landowner.  The thing that boggles my mind is how clear minded the 6 year old was, first to not follow his dad down, second to remember what his parents had told him to do in case of emergency, and third to actually be able to start and ride the atv by himself for 2 miles to find help!  That kid may have witnessed and been through something horrible, but luckily he's young enough that it will probably pass as quickly as his mom and family allow it to, and he appears to off to a good start to being a responsable and productive member of society.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 01:39:49 PM »
I feel for the families as well but have to wonder what the hell they were thinking.  A little irresponsibility goes a long way.  I also feel for RS and his club. I'm sure they will shut some areas down just because some idiots ruin it for everyone  :shake:  People don't realize how dangerous caves and mines are.  If you are not an experienced spelunker or miner don't enter the area if unknown. I mean how stupid do you have to be to enter an abandoned mine. I hear about shafts in abandoned ones collapsing; I'm sure there are many we don't hear about.  :rant:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 05:31:20 PM »
and why would someone go in a cave/mine  with no light ??   
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2006, 09:53:21 PM »
or with your child?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 10:44:31 AM »
....and alone.

First time I went in one was with my club. One of the members has been going to Calico for decades, knows the area like the back of his hand. Though he is always telling us about the one time he went out to drive around  and the sun went down and he got lost. He was smart enough to call it a day and waited till the morning to get his barings and drive out.

nowhitefenders

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -55
  • Male Posts: 146
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Rear bumper, G54- built by ''The Man'' Marlin!
    • View Profile
    • www.nowhitefenders.com
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 10:20:28 PM »
Man that's a bummer. The union didn't tell us that Montgomery was paralyzed, what a shame. I feel for those families but still I cannot agree that the owners of the mines are at fault.  I say if you enter someone's property, you take responsibility for your own actions...

Loosekannon

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Male Posts: 1,301
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SoCal--ROCKBRAWLERS--
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2006, 11:14:17 PM »
Natural Selection,the strong will survive
 Lets go visit an old mining town and not expect open mine shafts, what the hell are these people thinking? "wow there are a lot of caves around here" come on!!! Never mind the warning signs that are around saying there are open mine shafts, and if the signs are trashed. Never mind the common sense that would tell you that, maybe there are open mine shafts seeing how this is an old mining camp. Dumb people like that are screwing everything up for the rest of the country. Just going to have to rubber paid the world cause no one has common sense anymore!!!  :rant:

Sorry about the rant, but it drives me nuts when people get them selves killed for being dumb.

Don't get me wrong, I feel for the families. I would hate to lose a family member that way.

But you should be held accountable for your actions, not the owner of the property. And not the rest of the country!!!

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 04:42:19 AM »
and why would someone go in a cave/mine  with no light ??  
that was exactly what I was thinking! You just walk right on ahead not knowing what is there? La dee da?
pretty ignorant if you ask me. It's the stupidity of people like this that make it bad for everyone else.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -113
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 08:35:07 AM »
We were out there that night. met Katlyn she took pics of the our Jeeps which I had stacked while off loading for fun. to keep her dad entertained. it took a long time to get him out of there. I feel for them all........But and there is always a but. we have been going to calico for years and have taken great steps to be safe around the mines. People who ride out to the west know it is private they are told it is and it is maked if the signs are still up. We carry lights rope and other necessaties just in case. If somebody falls of Wall street then I am sure it will be closed and nobody will be able to see it again. they will say sombody should have put up a sign that there is a huge 100 foot drop off and that if you fall over you may die.

I don't get it, we have all had momonts we would like to have back but take the responsibility to keep yourelf safe. If there is an accident then look at your own roll and take you sare of the blame.

wayne

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 09:01:03 AM »
Well, I crashed a motorcycle on a public highway doing probably 90mph, got knocked unconcious by a metal reflector post (which probably saved me from getting injured worse since I was unable to try to stop myself from tumbling/flipping) and went through a fence into somebody's cow field.  So rather than do what I did, which was take full responsability and totally blame myself, by following society's line of thought I should have: first sued the road department for putting up that reflector post, how dare they try and warn night drivers there's a sharp corner there!, second sue the company that made the post, because after all, had they not made it I wouldn't have hit it and got a bad concussion!, and lastly sued the landowner for having the audacity to have a cow field next to the road, especially with a fence I probably hit on my way through?  Yup, probably shoulda just done that rather than own up to my mistakes, it would've made more sense!
RIP KYOTA

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 09:25:26 AM »
Well, I crashed a motorcycle on a public highway doing probably 90mph, got knocked unconcious by a metal reflector post (which probably saved me from getting injured worse since I was unable to try to stop myself from tumbling/flipping) and went through a fence into somebody's cow field.  So rather than do what I did, which was take full responsability and totally blame myself, by following society's line of thought I should have: first sued the road department for putting up that reflector post, how dare they try and warn night drivers there's a sharp corner there!, second sue the company that made the post, because after all, had they not made it I wouldn't have hit it and got a bad concussion!, and lastly sued the landowner for having the audacity to have a cow field next to the road, especially with a fence I probably hit on my way through?  Yup, probably shoulda just done that rather than own up to my mistakes, it would've made more sense!

You missed the motorcycle company for making a motorcycle that can crash and one that will go 90mph.

Wayne

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2006, 09:41:39 AM »
You mean there wasn't a sign warning you that there was a reflector post coming!! Man you should have sued, everyone knows there is supposed to be a warning sign to warn you of a sign.

:rofl:

Anyways, within Calico's mine system there are horizontal and vertical shafts plus when they found ore they followed it no matter where it went. There  are some giagantic rooms that have no floors since the ore went below the tunnel, going inside without a flashlight is asking for trouble. You may find yourself standing in mid-air all of a sudden and thinking :doh: People just don't think, I've enjoyed learning what our fore-father's did and am amazed when I see sights like those made in Calico. Now I think we'll see more tesspassing signs and red markers in Calico.

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2006, 09:52:10 AM »
Rocksurfer You seem to know Calico very well. post when you are going again we may try to join you if we can.

thanks
wayne

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2006, 09:54:13 AM »
You missed the motorcycle company for making a motorcycle that can crash and one that will go 90mph.

Wayne

:psss: you mean 157, but who's counting :dunno:  Yea, how could I have been so blind as to not sue them for making fast bikes and selling them to the public?!  How dare they?  I mean, who needs a 400lb motorcycle with 100hp?  Heaven forbid if I bought a liter bike, 400 lb with 150hp!  Then I'd REALLY have grounds to sue them! 

Funny side note, yamaha's new r6 is supposed to have a 16,000rpm redline I think, but tests have proved they're falling a few hundred rpm short despite the tach reading so, and enough people have complained that they're doing voluntary buy backs if you're not satisfied!  The only people who are going to make a stink enough to have it bought back are the idiots that got in over their head to get the bike in the first place, and now want an easy out. 
RIP KYOTA

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2006, 10:00:07 AM »
:psss: you mean 157, but who's counting :dunno:  Yea, how could I have been so blind as to not sue them for making fast bikes and selling them to the public?!  How dare they?  I mean, who needs a 400lb motorcycle with 100hp?  Heaven forbid if I bought a liter bike, 400 lb with 150hp!  Then I'd REALLY have grounds to sue them! 

Funny side note, yamaha's new r6 is supposed to have a 16,000rpm redline I think, but tests have proved they're falling a few hundred rpm short despite the tach reading so, and enough people have complained that they're doing voluntary buy backs if you're not satisfied!  The only people who are going to make a stink enough to have it bought back are the idiots that got in over their head to get the bike in the first place, and now want an easy out. 

150cc is all you would ever need to go 55mph what in the world are you thinking? you must be one of us....eeerr those crazy biker dudes.

sounds like you love the 2 wheel fun and approch it the right way albeit the fast way.

Wayne

be carful you may be sued for the cost of fixing that sign and fence. in this world

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2006, 10:00:33 AM »
Rocksurfer You seem to know Calico very well. post when you are going again we may try to join you if we can.

thanks
wayne

I guess this means they'll be closing off more of the Calico area. My club will be going May, 19 through 21 :gap:

I already did post our next trip there in my second post. :thumbs:

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2006, 10:03:45 AM »

I already did post our next trip there in my second post. :thumbs:

Sorry missed that one. you have room for a tag along or 2.

Wayne

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2006, 10:20:37 AM »
I'm sure we could squeeze you in.

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2006, 10:37:13 AM »
how far is that from you RS, we might have to do that area when we're in Cali, if you're available.
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2006, 10:54:14 AM »
That would be a great choice, you have Calico, then 20 mins. from there is Stoddard Valley an a mear 30 mins. is Johnson Valley....... Hammer's!

It's about 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. from me.