Author Topic: homebrew x-over steering question  (Read 2305 times)

yota-tota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 17
  • Male Posts: 232
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
homebrew x-over steering question
« on: Feb 10, 2006, 03:20:22 PM »
i got a question for those that took two passenger steering arms and flip one on top of the other welded it and bolted to the steering kuckle. right now i have a passenger arm and the drivers side arm.......can i cut the curved section off  of the drivers side arm and use whats left for the flipped arm? ok i know it's not the "right" thing to do but cash is tight and i need to get my SAS started.....by looking at the arm it seems like they have the same dims i just want to be sure before i cut anything.
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2006, 03:29:20 PM by yota-tota »
91 toy truggy on h2 injection, hacked n chopped n locked n SAS'd rolling 36" IROKS........doubler comming soon

89 toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1198
  • Male Posts: 383
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: homebrew x-over steering question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2006, 03:41:40 PM »
you need 3 arms total for this to work.
89 ext cab sas with diamond +4 1/2" housing 30 spline longs and hub gears, hp elocker, six studs, arp studs in everything, taco rear with elocker. swaped out 22re for 3.4l supercharged, urd 2.0" pulley, urd fuel management, downey headers, flowmaster, cold air intake, marlin clutch that is straining to hold up

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2006, 07:57:16 AM »
Take the arms off, heat them up, bend them to the appropriate angle and let them cool very very slowly. (like in a bucket of sand) Come back the next day and put them on. All done!

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2006, 07:27:25 PM »
Didn't you help chris do his?  I might do some like his, but weld some solid tube all the way around em in a spider web fashion, then have em cryod with some other stuff.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2006, 07:31:57 PM »
i would not cryo them.  your steering is somthing that you do not want to be brittle.  you take a hard hit to a tire what do you want to happen?  break and yer screwed  or bend and you can get home ?   theres no problems with just bending them.. the best thing is to reverse the bend of the arm.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

To The Floor

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 220
  • Male Posts: 393
  • Member since Jul '04
  • THE KRAK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 11, 2006, 08:32:25 PM »
ok i know it's not the "right" thing to do but cash is tight and i need to get my SAS started.....by looking at the arm it seems like they have the same dims i just want to be sure before i cut anything.
my advice to you is that statment is false.  if money is tight, then no you do not need to get your SAS started.  if you cant afford to buy parts to do this the right way, then there isnt a huge need to get it started.  most likely if cash is tight you rely on that vehicle alone to provide you with transportation, and throwin together a booty fabbed truck to rely on is not a very good choice.  i see this happen too often when people say they NEED to start their sas but dont have the money. then make a logical decision and wait til you have the money to complete the project in a safe and correct manner.    :blah:   call me an :moon: but just think about it, it doesnt make much sense.  im done
in the projects nooga, anything goes

seanc

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -357
  • Male Posts: 347
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Wheeler For Life!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2006, 08:27:08 AM »
worst thing you can ever do is home fab steering. now saying this i ran it without breakage. the tie-rod will get destroyed time and time again.
You win some, you lose some.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2006, 12:18:26 PM »
Most homebrews are done very half-assedly, but if you overbuild it then there's no reason why it shouldn't hold up till you can afford the real stuff.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

yota-tota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 17
  • Male Posts: 232
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2006, 09:30:57 AM »
Most homebrews are done very half-assedly, but if you overbuild it then there's no reason why it shouldn't hold up till you can afford the real stuff.

ya i welded the :pokinit: out of the arms, i shouldn't anywhere. and i'll only be running this setup for a month at the most......i'll post some pics once i clean up the welds.
91 toy truggy on h2 injection, hacked n chopped n locked n SAS'd rolling 36" IROKS........doubler comming soon