Author Topic: Ford knuckle question  (Read 5350 times)

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Ford knuckle question
« on: Jan 16, 2006, 12:55:19 PM »
I know I know it's a yota board, but I know some of you guys know fords too, so I'mma ask... my knuckle is leakin gear oil... I have no idea what to expect when/if I open it up..... :headscratch: If I pull the whole wheel assembly off, what is it that's causing the leaking that I can fix? :dunno: :smack: 

I've never opened up a front axle before :smack:

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -113
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Ford knuckle question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2006, 01:03:38 PM »
I know I know it's a yota board, but I know some of you guys know fords too, so I'mma ask... my knuckle is leakin gear oil... I have no idea what to expect when/if I open it up..... :headscratch: If I pull the whole wheel assembly off, what is it that's causing the leaking that I can fix? :dunno: :smack:

I've never opened up a front axle before :smack:

That is from your inner axle seal. Not to be gloom and doom but you have to pull the axles remove the diff cover remove the diff and then you can get to the seals. there is a sepcial tool to install them that I mad from threaded rod and pucks I turned  on my lathe but I have seen them installed with the old seal driver and hammer method. you just have to be carful to not damage the metal part of the seal or it will leak.

Hope this helps My books say 8hr job but I could do it in 4 as could any good mech. Problem is if you are in that far it is a good time to do lockers, gears and such.

Thanks
Wayne

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2006, 01:11:52 PM »
Oh geeze... thank you!! That wouldn't have anything to do with my steering not operating correctly then if it's just a seal right?  I thought it may be the reason I can hardly keep the truck on the road... guess not :smack:

:thumbs: Thanks again!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2006, 01:14:48 PM »
pull the knuckle off   and the axle shaft out.. i cant remember if on the kingpin style 44's if the seal is in the outer part of the tube or the inner.. the balljoint ones are inner..  on the steering issues.. check the kingpin bearings aswell as all tierod ends and trackbar bushings.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2006, 01:17:08 PM »
pull the knuckle off   and the axle shaft out.. i cant remember if on the kingpin style 44's if the seal is in the outer part of the tube or the inner.. the balljoint ones are inner..  on the steering issues.. check the kingpin bearings aswell as all tierod ends and trackbar bushings.

Yeah I figure it's prolly a few bushings.... :smack: I just replaced the bearing bout 2000 miles ago, so I don't think it's that :headscratch:

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2006, 01:31:51 PM »
pull the knuckle off and the axle shaft out.. i cant remember if on the kingpin style 44's if the seal is in the outer part of the tube or the inner.. the balljoint ones are inner.. on the steering issues.. check the kingpin bearings aswell as all tierod ends and trackbar bushings.

All open knuckle d44s are ball joint and the seal on that axle is inside the housing. I have a few laying around if you wnat pics. You are right check for worn ball joints,track bar bushings, bad radius arm bushings and all the tie rod ends. also did this steering problem come up after a lift or just get wose as time goes on?

Thanks
Wayne

Wayne

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2006, 01:35:40 PM »
why dont you look at the pic she posted again ? THAT IS NOT A BALLJOINT AXLE  its a drum brake open knuckle KING PIN  style dana 44. i have one sitting in my 69 ford out in my field right now too.  and no On some KING PIN style dana 44's  the seal was out by the ujoint and not at the diff end.  I cannot remember if it was only on the closed knuckle style.
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2006, 01:35:43 PM »
All open knuckle d44s are ball joint and the seal on that axle is inside the housing. I have a few laying around if you wnat pics. You are right check for worn ball joints,track bar bushings, bad radius arm bushings and all the tie rod ends. also did this steering problem come up after a lift or just get wose as time goes on?

Thanks
Wayne

Wayne

It didn't do it right after the lift, I drove it for awhile and took it wheelin. I busted the frame where the track bar connects, and the axle shifted.  It still shifts back and forth even though I've welded the track bar back up.  The steering problems only occur when the axle shifts... I'm not sure if it's when the axle is where it's supposed to be or not, but lately it hasn't let up at all... it's something that's gettin progressively worse :smack:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2006, 02:00:33 PM »
FFC  i am almost sure that axle is like a toy, where as the seal is right there behind the joint,  you could pull your trunion caps and lift it all off,  but it'll be close to 70 pounds,
i would pull the hub then the knuckle

]if you turn real hard and look with a small mirrow you can see the seal
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2006, 02:03:34 PM »
why dont you look at the pic she posted again ? THAT IS NOT A BALLJOINT AXLE its a drum brake open knuckle KING PIN style dana 44. i have one sitting in my 69 ford out in my field right now too. and no On some KING PIN style dana 44's the seal was out by the ujoint and not at the diff end. I cannot remember if it was only on the closed knuckle style.

Holly crap you are right SORRY. Open mouth insert foot. Let me back up here. The only d44s that I have seen with the seal on the outer tube like a toyota are the closed knuckle ones. As proven earlier I could be wrong but the inner axles from a drum open knuckle can be used in a disc open knuckle which leads me to think the seal is inner. Crap now I gotta go look this up.

Thanks
Wayne

ZukIzzy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2006, 02:05:56 PM »
It didn't do it right after the lift, I drove it for awhile and took it wheelin. I busted the frame where the track bar connects, and the axle shifted. It still shifts back and forth even though I've welded the track bar back up. The steering problems only occur when the axle shifts... I'm not sure if it's when the axle is where it's supposed to be or not, but lately it hasn't let up at all... it's something that's gettin progressively worse :smack:

I would look at the track bar busshing then like was said earlier. sound like they may have been cooked while the welding was done or fell apart while wheelin.

Thanks
Wayne

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2006, 02:08:37 PM »
That's why I took a pic, cuz I wasn't sure how to discribe the knuckle.... :headscratch:

Glen, yer sayin I should be able to get to it thru pulling the hub  then the knuckle? I was thinkin bout puttin a jack underneath the whoe thing and droppin it that way, but I wasn't sure if it was possible.  Dang, believe it or not it's so much easier on the Migo... I mean, gettin the contraption off :smack:

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2006, 02:13:52 PM »
I would look at the track bar busshing then like was said earlier. sound like they may have been cooked while the welding was done or fell apart while wheelin.

Thanks
Wayne

The track bar bushing is brand new, it's the other bushings that I'm concerned about :hammerhead: 

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2006, 02:15:16 PM »
id check them then.. i know  on my 69 that the tracbar bushing are toast and so are the raduis arm bushings ( axle end)  and its sloppppppyyyyy
Do you need a Hammer?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2006, 02:21:09 PM »
From what I can tell by lookin, all my bushings need replacing except for my trackbar.... :disturbed: ... I think I'll drive it as long as I can and just fix the Migo :beerwhack:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2006, 04:05:48 PM »
im sure its at the end of the axle  :smack:  but theres only one way to make sure

but yea,  pull the wheel,  pull the hub and brake, then remove the upper and lower trunion caps,  and the kingpin bearing will probably fall out because im betting the kingpin bearings are toast  and floppin causing your weird steering issue
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2006, 05:33:53 PM »
im sure its at the end of the axle  :smack:  but theres only one way to make sure

but yea,  pull the wheel,  pull the hub and brake, then remove the upper and lower trunion caps,  and the kingpin bearing will probably fall out because im betting the kingpin bearings are toast  and floppin causing your weird steering issue

Do ya think those bearings would be the cause of the wobbling in the steering? I replaced the outer bearings :headscratch: not the inner bearings :screwy:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2006, 05:59:33 PM »
yep  if the trunion/kingpin bearings are busted you are going to be all over the road  and in a hard turn could separate from the knuckle from the axle

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2006, 06:02:39 PM »
yep  if the trunion/kingpin bearings are busted you are going to be all over the road  and in a hard turn could separate from the knuckle from the axle

that's what I thought, so the feeling that my whole wheel is gonna fall off goin down the road COULD actually happen :smack: sheesh  :snare: Figgers... guess I'm goin to the parts store tomorrow  :hammer:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2006, 06:03:40 PM »
get me some pics of your suspension ,  like the radius arm  on the axle mount  and where the arm attaches to the frame

wait, :smack:  is this a leaf sprung front end

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2006, 06:05:02 PM »
i will bet money its the top kingpin/trunion bearing  shouldnt be too much $$

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2006, 06:06:33 PM »
Glen, it's coil sprung, and I'm sure part of my problem is that I don't even have a nut on the end of my pass side radius arm.  But that's not the whole of it.....

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2006, 06:18:38 PM »
:yikes:

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2006, 06:27:35 PM »
:smack:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jan 17, 2006, 06:11:04 PM »
you know what the :yikes: part about this whole thing is?  She is using it as her DD!!! :smack: 

Oh yeah, and I was dumb enough to get in that truck a few months ago!  but that was when it was kinda working :dunno:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

*FFC* [OP]

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #25 on: Jan 18, 2006, 01:34:56 AM »
you know what the :yikes: part about this whole thing is?  She is using it as her DD!!! :smack: 

Oh yeah, and I was dumb enough to get in that truck a few months ago!  but that was when it was kinda working :dunno:

:slap: BD you have no room to talk, at least mine runs and drives!! :bat: Of COURSE I'm usin it as my DD, do I have any other choice?  :hammerhead:  :driving: